The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,162 Posts
Well that's interesting. I never hear about Walgreen's meter (anyone use it?), but Relion did very well....

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I knonw they have Bayer at the bottom of the list. But I find it is a lot more accurate than my old One Touch meters, which gave me error meters all the time.

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
Well even the ones at the bottom actually scored pretty well.

But my experience with CR ... nawt so gud. I do not use them much anymore. Nothing in particular, just ... felt their examinations were not that accurate.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Well, we all surely have different experiences! I tested a Walmart Relion against my OneTouch Ultra and found the Relion, well, unreliable. I've also tested the Ultra against a couple of OneTouch minis and found them quite consistent with each other. Vive la difference!

Jen

·
Premium Member
2,665 Posts
This lines up well with my own experiences with the one touch ultra and the freestyle lite. I love how little blood the freestyle lite needs but it is way too sensitive to the blood sample size. I need to be VERY good about the amount of blood I put on the strip to get consistent readings. It's quite easy for me to jump 20+ points if I allow it to suck up too much.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have been using a One Touch Ultra at home and a One Touch Mini for throwing in my purse and keep one at work also.

The Ultra records my sugar levels higher than the One Touch Mini, 15-20 points higher.

I signed up for a Bayer Contour USB and will try all 3 at one time and see which ones are similar readings. I am waiting for my coupon to arrive.

I am hoping that the Bayer one is going to be good readings for me because they have a program where you pay no more than $15.00 for the test strips.

·
Premium Member
2,665 Posts
Can you tell us more about that program?
If you go directly to the manufacturer's website you can usually find an assistance program which will help pay for test strips. I know that Freestyle has a similar deal where if insurance doesn't cover all of my strips, they will pay the difference and I end up with a $15 copay.

·
Registered
21 Posts
If you go directly to the manufacturer's website you can usually find an assistance program which will help pay for test strips. I know that Freestyle has a similar deal where if insurance doesn't cover all of my strips, they will pay the difference and I end up with a $15 copay.
This is correct, but you have to have private insurance. If you have no insurance, there is no program, That's why I bought a Relion meter. Their cost for test strips are more than 1/2 the cost. My main meter is an Accu Check Aviva, and I'm very happy with it. At my doctors suggestion, I take my meter with me when I have blood drawn, and check my results with the lab results. It's always within +/- 1 or 2 mg/dl. The Relion is sometimes off by 20-30 mg/dl.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts