The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My family all pitched in to buy me a gym membership for Christmas - knowing it's hard to ride a bike in Canada in the winter - and also getting tired of me sweating in the living room on my trainer, lol...

So today I decided to head to a "Hot Yoga" class to try it out.

It was hot. Like Arizona in August Hot. (Or perhaps like India hot?)

I survived an hour in the hot, hot heat. I emptied my water bottle in the first 20 minutes. My towel was soaked. I was soaked. I felt like I was dying (which I wasn't) and kept looking skyward for vultures...

I don't know how people even MOVE in that environment, let alone do yoga. I did my best (which was awkward and likely somewhat comical to watch) and will try to return again, as I think yoga can be healthy.

When we were done and I walked out into an air-conditioned main gym area, I almost fell to my knees to kiss the ground, it felt so good, LOL.

I'm mostly trying it for an improvement in flexibility. Not sure I'll do the hot yoga again ... at least not for a while. I might try the "Hot Stretching" which I'm told is much less-difficult and a good place to start.

Anyone else do Hot Yoga or recommend it? I wonder if Rad Warrior does hot yoga? I think he does yoga - wondering what his thoughts are on it...

Regardless, it was an interesting experience. It was also HOT. (Did I mention that already?) I will say that my flexibility seemed somewhat better in the heat than I normally see at home. But wow, it was HOT.

Reactions: Dodie37737

·
Registered
335 Posts
beefy said:
My family all pitched in to buy me a gym membership for Christmas - knowing it's hard to ride a bike in Canada in the winter - and also getting tired of me sweating in the living room on my trainer, lol...

So today I decided to head to a "Hot Yoga" class to try it out.

It was hot. Like Arizona in August Hot. (Or perhaps like India hot?)

I survived an hour in the hot, hot heat. I emptied my water bottle in the first 20 minutes. My towel was soaked. I was soaked. I felt like I was dying (which I wasn't) and kept looking skyward for vultures...

I don't know how people even MOVE in that environment, let alone do yoga. I did my best (which was awkward and likely somewhat comical to watch) and will try to return again, as I think yoga can be healthy.

When we were done and I walked out into an air-conditioned main gym area, I almost fell to my knees to kiss the ground, it felt so good, LOL.

I'm mostly trying it for an improvement in flexibility. Not sure I'll do the hot yoga again ... at least not for a while. I might try the "Hot Stretching" which I'm told is much less-difficult and a good place to start.

Anyone else do Hot Yoga or recommend it? I wonder if Rad Warrior does hot yoga? I think he does yoga - wondering what his thoughts are on it...

Regardless, it was an interesting experience. It was also HOT. (Did I mention that already?) I will say that my flexibility seemed somewhat better in the heat than I normally see at home. But wow, it was HOT.
Lol - your funny! I'd love to try that, but my local gym does not offer it :-( just normal temp yoga! I like hot!

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Our daughter-in-law in Durango takes a class & during the Christmas visit our Oklahoma daughter-in-law accompanied her as a guest. I heard it was VERY HOT! :D Like 100+ degrees Fahrenheit. Being in Durango, I'm not sure I wouldn't rather stick with skiing . . .

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
We have one yoga studio close to here that does the hot yoga, but I am afraid to try it. I don't do well with heat. I hate Florida weather and the thought of Arizona hot really scares me. I actually keep my heat at 60 degrees during the winter. I do a lot of other yoga- restorative yoga, power yoga, Hatha yoga and it is wonderful for the mind and body. I think I will stay away from the HOT YOGA for now.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
We have one yoga studio close to here that does the hot yoga, but I am afraid to try it. I don't do well with heat. I hate Florida weather and the thought of Arizona hot really scares me. I actually keep my heat at 60 degrees during the winter. I do a lot of other yoga- restorative yoga, power yoga, Hatha yoga and it is wonderful for the mind and body. I think I will stay away from the HOT YOGA for now.
The room I was in is maintained between 105 and 108 degrees, or so they say. I'm quite comfortable anywhere up to about 75 degrees Fahrenheit ... so it was brutal for me, LOL.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Living in Ohio, it rarely gets above 90 degrees. I am dying when it gets that hot. I tend to get BP issues if it gets too hot. It either goes very high or very low. I think I will stick to my yoga DVD's that I can do in my nice cool house. I think the reason for the heat is to make you more flexible. I remember a few years ago I decided to do a Boot Camp Class. I thought I was in good shape. After non stop jumping jacks, weight lifting , running on the track and back to more jumping jacks and push ups I thought I was going to have a heart attack. My life actually flashed in front of my eyes. I do think we have to know our limitations.

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
That's just a normal summer day in the central valley of California.

The room I was in is maintained between 105 and 108 degrees, or so they say. I'm quite comfortable anywhere up to about 75 degrees Fahrenheit ... so it was brutal for me, LOL.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Oh my goodness! I would have died just walking into the room with that high of temperature! I'm with Jwags...we live in the same region and I cannot stand when we get hot days 90 degrees or above. I actually don't even like the 80's. We, of course, have high humidity here, so it is quite uncomfortable. I used to keep my house no higher than 62 for comfort and 58 at night, but with my 90 y/o MIL living with us, it is on a constant 65 and I'm throwing the covers off myself at night and sleeping in summer pj's!
With that said, I prefer to do cardio like Zumba or Aerobics. I did yoga in the past and only like the very end part when you are laying on the floor relaxing every part of your body! Some of the poses for yoga are just too difficult for me to get into due to my build and shape of body. Kind of a short chubby italian girl, so my arms and legs are short and chunky. They don't like some of the positions in yoga. And, that becomes frustrating to me when I can't hold a pose or feel clumsy and inadequate at it, so I do my extreme aerobic workouts and then go home and meditate with a cup of coffee! :)

·
Registered
58 Posts
South Western Arizona boy here. Plus a life long Martial Arts devotee. Summer heat means starting outside work at 4 am. Shade Trees,Water, and Central Air Conditioners.

Be careful with exertion in the heat,even though its a "dry heat" you can damage yourself with heat stroke esp. the brain. Which can become re-wired as a result of heat-stroke. Once dehydrated and your electrolytes get slammed all sorts of bad things occur quickly with out you realizing it until a bit late.

Drinking all of your water in 20 minutes should give you a clue just how much liquid your displacing. Remember to always have a sports drink that quickly starts to replinish elctrolytes.Such as K (Potassium) is key to our muscular system once we start stripping it away, you could experience complete paralysis.

You can slowly condition (work your way up)your body to handle heat as you can with cold, but limits apply. Regular yoga should work for you just as well as "Hot" yoga.

Yoga as with the fighting arts engauges the mind, the body and ultimately the spirit all at once which is a very healthy way to be. So try not to hurt yourself,be smart.

For those that may not have yoga ashram or gym etc to practice yoga. Look to the university extention centers for yoga or even "Tai Chi" instruction.
Myself I believe T'ai Chi Ch'uan ("Supreme Ultimate Fist"), is the better choice.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
And quite a normal summer day temperature in India....

Man you guys are too sensitive to heat :D:D:D:D

On a serious note...I hope you are enjoying the sessions ?

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
And quite a normal summer day temperature in India....

Man you guys are too sensitive to heat :D:D:D:D

On a serious note...I hope you are enjoying the sessions ?
Sensitive to heat? I'm a Canadian! I only complain about the cold when it drops below -25, to be honest.

I complain about the heat once it goes above 75 ... unless I'm at a pool in the shade somewhere...

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Sensitive to heat? I'm a Canadian! I only complain about the cold when it drops below -25, to be honest.

I complain about the heat once it goes above 75 ... unless I'm at a pool in the shade somewhere...
Was just kidding beefy, hope you didn't mind !

:D

·
Registered
3 Posts
converted

I have been a half dozen times since early december. I have found it is the best thing for relaxation/antistress and it is exercise. Yoga is great, u can put as much as your comfortble with into each pose. I take the breathing exercises with me everywhere, deep ins and long outs are great for clearing the mind, and relaxing.
it clears the body of toxins through sweat and the "hot" (my studio is usually around 30C ) is good for muscle/tendons to stretch without as much strain on them.

make sure you put a towel over your mat and drink lots of water!!
I am converted, used to think it was "g*y", but its not, it can be as hard as u want it to be. i like to say i come out of the shower drier than i do from the yoga studio.

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
Beefy.... You know this thread would be soooo much better with video of one of your sessions :D

I do agree with you on the "being Canadian" thing... here in Stockholm, people complain when the temperature goes to -15° Celsius and they ask me why i don't look cold to which I always reply....hey! I'm Canadian......-15° is summer in Canada! ;)

·
Registered
181 Posts
Returned last night from heat to snow -- from a brief vacation in Kerala to the winter of Canada. Something like the thermal shock test we do on aerospace (and even consumer electronics) products :) It is winter in the northern parts of India and the capital New Delhi can get somewhat cold with temperatures going down to around 4°C (39°F) in the dead of the night at this time of the year, but in my home state Kerala in the deep south, the temperature hardly ever goes below 20°C (68°F) even in the dead of the night. The typical day time temperature is around 30°C (86°F) even in the "winter" !

I don't think I will ever become a fan of hot yoga. The ancient treatises on yoga insist that yoga should be comfortable -- "sthira sukham asanam" in Sanskrit meaning (yoga) posture is that which is steady and comfortable. And I don't think I can ever be comfortable doing yoga in a hot environment.

Regards,
Rad

·
Registered
253 Posts

We did have a cold snap of about -30C for a week a few winters ago. When it went up to -20C one day I was complaining at work. "I'm just not used to this kind of heat."

I don't think I will ever become a fan of hot yoga. The ancient treatises on yoga insist that yoga should be comfortable -- "sthira sukham asanam" in Sanskrit meaning (yoga) posture is that which is steady and comfortable. And I don't think I can ever be comfortable doing yoga in a hot environment.
I've read a couple of articles lately about the negatives of yoga. This one was interesting.

How Yoga Can Wreck Your Body

I know it's almost like attacking a holy topic, but you can't be too careful about anything, yoga included.

That's a beautiful quote about being steady and comfortable, and I agree with the meaning of it. But it would take a bit to explain what it means to me.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts