The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello!

I just love Christmas baking & cooking! Stupid diabetes has never spoiled my fun either. Why should it??!? Food can be delicious, festive, and really good for blood glucose.

How about we put all kinds of Christmas recipes in here? Would make it easier to find them! :D

Let me start by one of my personal favorite ones! (Fellow Americans will have lots of turkey leftover after Thanksgiving tomorrow!)

TURKEY SALAD WITH CRANBERRIES AND APPLES

Ingredients:

Dressing:

*1/2 cup reduced fat mayonnaise
*1/2 cup reduced fat sour cream
1 tbsp apple cider or malt vinegar
1 tbsp + 1 tsp Splenda
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground ginger
2 tsp lemon zest

Salad:

2 cups cooked turkey, diced
1 cup celery, diced
1/2 cup apples, chopped
1/2 cup cranberries, chopped
1/2 cup walnuts, chopped
1/4 cup parsley, chopped
1 tbsp chives, chopped
salt and pepper to taste

Prepare the dressing first by mixing the 7 first ingredients in a small bowl. Season to taste with salt and pepper if desired.

Combine the rest of the ingredients in a large bowl and add the dresing. Blend well to coat. If you prefer your salad less moist, just add half the dressing at a time until the desired consistency is reached.

Refrigerate for 1 or 2 hours to marry the flavors.

* You can use full fat if you want!

Nutrition facts:

8 heaping 1/2 cup servings

Amount per serving:

Calories 171.9
Total fat 11.5g
Cholesterol 30.0 mg
Sodium 173mg
Potassium 231.3 mg
Total carbohydrates 5.9 g
Fiber 1.4 g
Sugars 0.6 g
Protein 12.3 g

I feel bad I can't remember who gave me this recipe.

I'll be very honest with you guys... I plan on stealing your recipes and bake, bake, and cook, cook, cook until Christmas! :eyebrows:

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Does anyone know of a low cal Christmas cookie recipe?
I love Christmas cookies, but feel guilty eating all those calories!
I found a recipe but need to try it first! Don't want to post something that doesn't work :)

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
I made my own change in an old christmasrecipe I have made for years, and unfortunely it became so good that all of my 75 cakes disappeared in my family:rolleyes:. I only got my hands in 7 cakes....

Serinacakes
250 gram almond flour
1/2 tsp bakingpowder
2 tbsp Erythritol
7 drop vanilla essence
1/2 tsp liquid sweetening
150 gram butter
Have all in the foodprosessor for max speed in 30 sekund
1 egg, lightly whipped, and then put it in the food prosessor on max until you have a dough lump

Make 75 little balls and put them on baking tray (I always use baking paper on the tray). Use a fork and squeeze them flat and brush them with egg. If you want to, it is really good to have chopped almonds on them before you put them in the middle of the oven for 10 minutes at 200 degree celsius (400 fahrenheit?)

Next time i make them I will try to use almonds and grind them in the foodprosessor instead of using almond flour which is more expensive.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Does anyone know of a low cal Christmas cookie recipe?
I love Christmas cookies, but feel guilty eating all those calories!
Not sure what exactly separates Christmas cookies from all the others, unless you mean a regular sugar cookie with icing, but if I were a cookie aficionado, I'd try MCS's Ginger Snaps. His Pecan Chocolate Chip is equally delicious! These are not necessarily low-cal . . . they ARE low-carb.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Not sure what exactly separates Christmas cookies from all the others,
Good point! :)

I'm always cooking and sometimes also baking but in December I go into what I call a cooking frenzy :bounce:

For example, Foxl's Coconut Cream Pie will be on my list of Christmas desserts. One can always have that wonderful delicious pie any time of the year but I guess around Christmas time, it's desserts and treats galore :eek: and all baked with love! :love:

The stupid D will not prevent me from offering baked presents :D

Shanny, you bet I will try your cookie recipes too!!!! Thank you for posting them!!!! :thumb:[

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I think MCS's cookies are fantastic. You can take the basic recipe and tweak it a bit to make christmas cookies. You know how they have colored sugars for decorating, has anyone ever colored granular erythitol or splenda to make a sugar free version? I also like to browse different websites this time of year. Some of the Gluten free ones have great recipes. You may have to swap out honey or agave but most use almond flour or coconut flour. Also Laura Dolson and Linda's Low carb are great sites

Comfy Belly
Healthy Gluten Free Recipes | Elana's Pantry
Linda's Low Carb Menus & Recipes - Home
Low Carb Diets at About.com - Atkins South Beach and More Low Carb Diets

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
I've decided that I will make regular ole' christmas cookies since I am giving them away as gifts to neighbors and friends. If I really need to eat some cookies, I may just make a batch of some low carb ones, but typically I will stay away from the goodies.

These recipes sound wonderful though. Good Luck!

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
I'm not going to make many cookies this year, but I will be making some cream cheese coconut macaroons to give away. I am not going to deny myself the regular holiday favorites, but I'm also not going to let myself get away with thinking that I can have six cookies and call it breakfast! I still plan to drink some eggnog, but I'll mix it with milk and it will be a treat, not a regular beverage.

This will be a low-carb side dish for the main meal during the holidays: Brussels Sprouts, Bacon and Garlic

It's SO GOOD!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts