The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
For the last 3 weeks Ive eaten (Stirfried veggies, Onion, Zucchini, snow peas, celery, red & green pepper, bok-choy,etc) and a protein (fish,chicken,or meat) each meal, and in between, I may have some nuts (pecans, almonds) ,
I feel good, better than I have in a long while, and am losing weight,

my BG's are always between 7.8 & 10.0 (140-180)
Im on Metformin 2500mg per day,

Do you think Im on the right track?

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Your food list looks good, but are you adding enough fat at meals. When you cut carbs you need to add fat to even out your bgs between meals. The 140-180 seems high to me. Most D's are recomended to be around 100 for fasting and 120-140 after meals. So you are on your way towards those numbers.

·
Registered
8,607 Posts
Your food list looks good, but are you adding enough fat at meals. When you cut carbs you need to add fat to even out your bgs between meals. The 140-180 seems high to me. Most D's are recomended to be around 100 for fasting and 120-140 after meals. So you are on your way towards those numbers.
jwags has put his finger on the right question. Where's the fat?

Nonetheless, well done - keep it going and the weight will just drop away at about 1 lb per week - without you having to feel starved!

Again, as jwags says, your numbers are still a bit high - but if you cut back too quickly you run the risk of false hypo symptoms which could end up putting you off persisting with your strategy.

Have you looked at Jenny Ruhl's site Blood Sugar 101 ? It's got a lot of helpful information on managing reduced carb dieting.

Well done. John

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
jwags has put his finger on the right question. Where's the fat?

Nonetheless, well done - keep it going and the weight will just drop away at about 1 lb per week - without you having to feel starved!

Again, as jwags says, your numbers are still a bit high - but if you cut back too quickly you run the risk of false hypo symptoms which could end up putting you off persisting with your strategy.

Have you looked at Jenny Ruhl's site Blood Sugar 101 ? It's got a lot of helpful information on managing reduced carb dieting.

Well done. John
Am eating a small amount of cheese and small olive oil for cooking,
hopeing my numbers will come down with weight loss.

·
Registered
8,607 Posts
Am eating a small amount of cheese and small olive oil for cooking,
hopeing my numbers will come down with weight loss.
Olive oil is an excellent choice for cooking - stay away from highly processed chemical oils like rapeseed.

Cheese is also an excellent choice - but not the low fat version and ideally you are looking for a cheese made from unpasturised milk.

Sticking to a reduced carb diet will bring your blood glucose numbers down fairly quickly - and the weight loss will also come over time - the two aren't directly linked as such.

John

1 - 7 of 7 Posts