The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Received my A1C lab report vial mail yesterday. Not sure what all the readings are about.

Original testing Jan 21, 2011 FBG 347 A1C 14.8

The results of test on Apr 7th. Hemoglobin A1C 8.9, estimated Avg Glucose 209

This is what I have to find out about, unless y'all can tell me (everything in within range) Comprehensive Metabolic Pnl Final Results...
Glucose 101

Appt with Endo next Thurs 21st

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
In my opinion, your BG is waaaaay too high most of the time. You need to keep your BG below 140. 209 is a very high average. I would try to keep my A1C below 7, at the highest. I prefer below 6 but I know that can be difficult for Type 2s, I have the added tool of insulin.
I will let some of our Type 2s give you their advice.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
You've made a good start, Mimi . . . but Josh is right about keeping your sugars under 140 at all times. I try to do that, and my morning fasting often exceeds it thanks ever-so-much to DP. But I still try to keep all the rest of the day's readings down.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This test was done pretty close to 5:00, appt was at 4:00. I was told I did not have to fast for the A1C.

Again, it was not 3 months, but the Dr said he didn't think that 2 wks earlier would not matter. With him seeing my daily reading, he was thinking I would be with an 8. So, I feel from 14.8 to a 8.9 is pretty dang good. That was an estimate average glucose.

Just this week...

4/11 M 99 E 100
4/12 M 85 E 108
4/13 M 119 E 93
4/14 M 92

7 day average 109; 14 day average 117; 30 day average 119

I'm not a miracle worker yet ;)

·
Registered
118 Posts
I used to have a very high A1C of 11.3. My last one was 7.4.
Now I would be worried about the Blood Sugars I took for OK back then. I had a BS of 164 during a migraine today and I was upset it was that high.
It took me a very long time to have control of my BS. Hang in there it is a work in progress.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
You do not have to fast for the HbA1c, you are right. You have made a lot of progress but you still have a way to go. Normal HbA1c is 4.0-5.5. When you have diabetes it is for life so it is a lifelong struggle. My doctor wants me to be below 6.0 to avoid complciations. You are making progress. When I was dx'd 4 years ago I was above 10, I am now 5.3. I owe it to low carb diet, exercise and the maximum dose of metformin. I have done extensive research on diabetes and now realise that when you have bgs above normal (100-120) complications can arise. To play safe I now aim for bgs around 100.

G

·
it's interesting how different our countries are on what's normal, etc. Here you have to fast to have the HbA1c otherwise they refuse to take blood from you. Also here they advise that you have your diabetes under control if your HbA1c result is 7% or less. Anything over 8% is considered that your diabetes is not in control.
Mimi, I think you're doing quite well considering you are newly diagnosed. :D It does take some time to get your BGLs under good control. As long as your BGLs are going down and not up is what's important. It really doesn't matter how long we've had diabetes for... it's something that needs constant monitoring and we all have our ups and downs with our readings and HbA1c results. There is so many things that impact on BGLs that can sometimes be out of our control... diet and exercise alone isn't the only factor. As Weaver has mentioned... being in pain puts the BGLs up too... plus so many other things do the same.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Mimi, looks like you are absolutely on the right track! Good for you! Of course we want to win all the battles (daily BGL readings) but the war is more important. Sounds like you are bringing your numbers down over time. As Josh said, keep shooting for under 140 tops. Keep up the great work!

- Jeremy

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
This test was done pretty close to 5:00, appt was at 4:00. I was told I did not have to fast for the A1C.

Again, it was not 3 months, but the Dr said he didn't think that 2 wks earlier would not matter. With him seeing my daily reading, he was thinking I would be with an 8. So, I feel from 14.8 to a 8.9 is pretty dang good. That was an estimate average glucose.

Just this week...

4/11 M 99 E 100
4/12 M 85 E 108
4/13 M 119 E 93
4/14 M 92

7 day average 109; 14 day average 117; 30 day average 119

I'm not a miracle worker yet ;)
I did not mean to imply that I thought you weren't doing well. On the contrary, I am extremely proud of you and your success. However, the A1C of 8.9 is what suggests an average BG of 209, not your meter. That means you were averaging a BG of 209 over the last 2-3 months. Your fasting and post-prandial numbers might be lower. For example, my A1C suggests a higher average than my meter does. It says my average, when I test (remember, those tests are only snapshots in time and the A1C is a higher view of BG control) is in the low 90s to upper 80s. I hope this helps.
Congratulations and keep up the good work!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I did not mean to imply that I thought you weren't doing well. On the contrary, I am extremely proud of you and your success. However, the A1C of 8.9 is what suggests an average BG of 209, not your meter. That means you were averaging a BG of 209 over the last 2-3 months. Your fasting and post-prandial numbers might be lower. For example, my A1C suggests a higher average than my meter does. It says my average, when I test (remember, those tests are only snapshots in time and the A1C is a higher view of BG control) is in the low 90s to upper 80s. I hope this helps.
Congratulations and keep up the good work!
Okay, now that you explained, I understand it better. Everything is still "new" and I'm learning. I'm determined to get much, much lower than that 209 by fighting that battle and winning the war too.;)

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
Sounds like you're well on your way to doing great!

:clap2:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts