The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I made these muffins, that, a little over a week ago I could eat two of in the morning and my BG would not go over 120 (tested 3 days). So I stopped testing an hour after eating the muffins because I knew they were "safe". But today I tested an hour after eating two out of curiosity and it was 160.

Also my BG a few days ago after eating a burrito with rice, beans, etc. (very carby) but with a beer my BG went up to 198! Even though the previous week the exact same meal did not put me over 140.

How am I supposed to watch what I eat when it's effects on my BG are totally unpredictable?

I'm not sure what to do, I know I need to see a doctor but I can't. I thought I only had "pre-diabetes" but now that I've had that 198 I'm worried that it's getting worse.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
I made these muffins, that, a little over a week ago I could eat two of in the morning and my BG would not go over 120 (tested 3 days). So I stopped testing an hour after eating the muffins because I knew they were "safe". But today I tested an hour after eating two out of curiosity and it was 160.

Also my BG a few days ago after eating a burrito with rice, beans, etc. (very carby) but with a beer my BG went up to 198! Even though the previous week the exact same meal did not put me over 140.

How am I supposed to watch what I eat when it's effects on my BG are totally unpredictable?

I'm not sure what to do, I know I need to see a doctor but I can't. I thought I only had "pre-diabetes" but now that I've had that 198 I'm worried that it's getting worse.
I am curious....who gave you a diagnosis of "pre-diabetes"? I am just so leary of that so-called diagnosis. Its sort of like being "a little bit pregnant". I think it lulls people into a false sense of security that they are just fine as long as they dont eat sugar. To me, pre-diabetes is a state of health before diabetes...meaning...no diabetes. As you can see, your numbers are not in the non-diabetic category. How long after eating was that 198? How long did it take to go back to normal? How are your fasting blood sugars?

The same food doesnt always affect us the same way. For me, it makes a difference what time of day I eat it...how much exercise I get that day and if I am having stress about anything that day. Sometimes I get spikes that I cant explain at all.
The best you can do is continue to watch your carbs. Eating a burrito (flour tortilla I am assuming) full of rice and beans is probably not a healthy choice for you. Get yourself a carb counting book, calorie king makes a great one for only 9 dollars, and start realyl paying attention to how many carbs you are eating. A good place to start is about 30 for breakfast, and 45 for meals, around 15 for snacks. Test around that and see how your blood sugar does. You should be back down to around pre-meal level at 2 hours after eating. If you are not, then you ate too many carbs at that meal. This way you can get a better idea of how many carbs your body can handle.

I also would urge you to see a doctor as soon as you possibly can. I am assuming you have seen one about this at some time since you have the diagnosis that you do. You really need to be seen and have some blood work done, especially a fasting blood sugar and an A1c.

Good luck and feel free to ask any questions you might have. We do all try to help each other as much as we can!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No, I haven't seen a doctor. I just assume I have what would be called 'pre diabetes' because I've never gone over 200.
An hour after eating it was 190, at 1.5 hours it was 198, at two hours it was 180, at 2.5 it was 134.
My fasting sugars (morning) are in the 90s. Throughout the day if I haven't eaten in a while it's normal, 70s-80s.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Hayley? You're missing a golden opportunity to take charge of this right now and save yourself a lot of grief later. 200 is not the magic number for being diabetic. Your postprandial levels are diabetic levels. Non-diabetic people can eat anything they want and all they want, and still be at 120 an hour later, and most are under 100 by two hours later: that isn't 180 - it isn't 134 . . . it is under 100 . For you to be non-diabetic or "pre"-diabetic, you would need to be under 100 two hours after eating.

As you are beginning to notice, this disease progresses unless we take strong measures to arrest that progress. If you take those measures now, you'll reap the benefits of control all the rest of your life.

Being in denial is something that usually comes with the diabetes package, as it often does with any disturbing disorder, but the sooner you can stop assuming and start accepting, the more your body will thank you by not deteriorating and developing complications. If you go above 140 very often or stay there very long, your body is sustaining damage to kidneys, blood vessels, eyesight and other vital systems. To quote a diabetic friend of mine, "You have a dangerous disease. The complications can be very devastating. " The choice is yours: see a doctor and begin to make the adjustments in your diet that will prevent these high sugar levels. The rice, beans, bread, pasta, potatoes and muffins are not helping you now. Please give this serious consideration if you've gotten attached to your fingers & toes, and being able to see clearly.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for your response, I didn't mean to imply denial by the phrase "pre-diabetic", I know that I am essentially diabetic. I cannot see a doctor right now, I do not have insurance and I don't qualify for it through the state. I'm not sure if free/low cost clinics are an option for this kind of thing but I need to find out, I know.

This knowledge is new to me as of a few weeks ago, I'm not trying to be flippant about my diet by eating things like rice, muffins, etc. I'm just not used to what I CAN eat yet. Like I said, previous times (meaning less than two weeks ago) those meals appeared to be fine for me to eat, and now they are not. That's what I'm confused about.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
...those meals appeared to be fine for me to eat, and now they are not. That's what I'm confused about.
That's the thing about this cussed disease - just when we think we have it figured out, it makes a U-turn & we're back to the drawing board again. We're never "home free" . . . we can't relax our vigilance for a darn minute! :(

I was diagnosed at a free clinic here in Missouri, so it sure can't hurt to look it up & give a call. All the initial bloodwork I had done was at no cost to me either.

I have since aged into Medicare, but for many years I was without health coverage too, and I sure know what you're going through. Trying so hard to be careful & stay well. The times when I had to use the free clinic, the wait lines here were long & sometimes I'd wait and still be turned away. It's just not civilized that citizens have to go without such a fundamental service as health care!

Since you're already testing regularly, give Pam's advice a try, and you'll not only see lower more stable levels, you'll have a head start on gaining control.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
You didn't say what your BG was before you ate. that can have a bearing on your post numbers.

your pancreas is not producing insulin as needed, it can still work in spits and spats so some times it makes enough insulin to cover the carbs you eat and sometimes it doesn't. also if it got tired on a meal before it might not recoup in time for the burrito.

ALL carbs raise BG how much and how fast is a variable that changes from person to person and for many people time of day. Morning being the worst time for carbs and BG so eggs and bacon, NO toast, pancakes, orange juce...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
diabetes86,

It's usually upper 90s in the morning, but I didn't test it this morning so it could have been higher.
Your explanation makes sense, thank you.

·
Banned
11 Posts
Re:

That is a good little test to find you personal triggers. Everyone is different due to size, meds, exercise and reaction time. A true way would have to be the Glucose tabs and fasting you have to do it several times to see how the results compare.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Burritos with rice and beans and muffins? Whether you're at 140 or 200 after you eat, these are very high-carbohydrate meals foods that require more insulin than you have (or have access to). You're taxing your pancreas and, if you need to lose weight, you are doing yourself a disservice. Regardless of whether you fall into the pre-diabetic or diabetic range from a clinical standpoint, you know that you're diabetic. The meal plans are going to have to change. The fact that you can't count on being normal after eating the same meals should tell you something - namely, that you can't get away with them on a regular basis. You do appear to have caught diabetes fairly early and, because of that, a diet that restricts carbohydrates a bit more could have a profound effect on you and keep you off medication, potentially for a while.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts