The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
I made these muffins, that, a little over a week ago I could eat two of in the morning and my BG would not go over 120 (tested 3 days). So I stopped testing an hour after eating the muffins because I knew they were "safe". But today I tested an hour after eating two out of curiosity and it was 160.

Also my BG a few days ago after eating a burrito with rice, beans, etc. (very carby) but with a beer my BG went up to 198! Even though the previous week the exact same meal did not put me over 140.

How am I supposed to watch what I eat when it's effects on my BG are totally unpredictable?

I'm not sure what to do, I know I need to see a doctor but I can't. I thought I only had "pre-diabetes" but now that I've had that 198 I'm worried that it's getting worse.
I am curious....who gave you a diagnosis of "pre-diabetes"? I am just so leary of that so-called diagnosis. Its sort of like being "a little bit pregnant". I think it lulls people into a false sense of security that they are just fine as long as they dont eat sugar. To me, pre-diabetes is a state of health before diabetes...meaning...no diabetes. As you can see, your numbers are not in the non-diabetic category. How long after eating was that 198? How long did it take to go back to normal? How are your fasting blood sugars?

The same food doesnt always affect us the same way. For me, it makes a difference what time of day I eat it...how much exercise I get that day and if I am having stress about anything that day. Sometimes I get spikes that I cant explain at all.
The best you can do is continue to watch your carbs. Eating a burrito (flour tortilla I am assuming) full of rice and beans is probably not a healthy choice for you. Get yourself a carb counting book, calorie king makes a great one for only 9 dollars, and start realyl paying attention to how many carbs you are eating. A good place to start is about 30 for breakfast, and 45 for meals, around 15 for snacks. Test around that and see how your blood sugar does. You should be back down to around pre-meal level at 2 hours after eating. If you are not, then you ate too many carbs at that meal. This way you can get a better idea of how many carbs your body can handle.

I also would urge you to see a doctor as soon as you possibly can. I am assuming you have seen one about this at some time since you have the diagnosis that you do. You really need to be seen and have some blood work done, especially a fasting blood sugar and an A1c.

Good luck and feel free to ask any questions you might have. We do all try to help each other as much as we can!

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.