The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am experiencing neuropathy, I have type 2 diabetes, diagnosed March 2005, I do not have good glucose control and the doctors are recommending gastric bypass surgery, I would like to exhaust all other avenues before this last resort, I would like to hear some suggestions. Thanks, Let's give Life Hope

·
Registered
5 Posts
To prevent the extremes of gastric bypass surgery you must take back control. I am sure you have heard the words “diet and exercise” over and over, but I cannot emphasize enough how important these two factors are in getting your diabetes under control and preventing complications. Do not think of the word “diet” as a bad word. Most of the time goals can be accomplished simply by reducing caloric intake. Consult with a trusted health care provider who knows your particular situation. They should be able to provide the education and direction you are searching for. Remember that you have the power to take control of this. All of us on this forum know you can do it and support you 100%!!

·
Registered
104 Posts
I have made the decision to undergo bariatric surgery.

This decision was made about 8 - 10 months ago, after interviewing several different doctors and people. To me this procedure is a tool to help me control my diabetes, it is not a cure. Even after the surgery I am well aware I still have to be mindful of my lifestyle as far as eating, dieting, exercise, etc. are concerned. I need this tool.

I am not extraordinarily obese, I stand at 5' 7 1/2 " and weight about 205. My BMI is about 34.5. My insurance company has accepted me as a candidate because of my multiple morbidity issues: Type 2 diabetes. severe Obstructive Sleep Apnea, Hypertension, etc. (although I confess I let myself be weighed with my coat and boots on! :D)

Now, there are people in this forum that are anti-bariatric surgery. I am obviously not letting them influence my decision. They say, you can control this with diet and exercise, diet and exercise, diet and exercise, blah, blah, blah ... Well, listen! Some of us need a little more help.

I am a single man who lives alone with no family and no support system. I am dieting and joined a gym. My diabetes is getting worse, not better. My endocrinologist is one of the top in the country.

My surgery date is tentatively set for Dec. 20th.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Well Buddy - that's a heckuva way to spend the holidays, but I know this decision wasn't made lightly. Keep us in the loop with all the details . . . will this be laparoscopy, I'm guessing?

·
Registered
104 Posts
Well Buddy - that's a heckuva way to spend the holidays, but I know this decision wasn't made lightly. Keep us in the loop with all the details . . . will this be laparoscopy, I'm guessing?
Gastric By-Pass.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts