The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
(sorry for length)
I frequently find myself being fatigued and I urinate about 5x per day. A while ago I was looking into what causes this kind of fatigue because it really sucks just waking up and diabetes came up as a result, and since then i've had my suspicions.

The thing is, i've not wanted to get tested because I am kind of scared of finding out if I have it or not...I even turned down a job a while ago because I had to get a physical taken and tested for diabetes and I didn't want to. Im 20 years old and in class this past week we learned about diabetes typeI&II and I think I may have typeI. I am lean and never have the energy.

I want to change this and finally try to get my life in order and if diabetes is the problem, I want to take action to help fix it. The thing is, how can I tell my parents I want to get tested?

Im kind of afraid of doing that because I think they will worry for me a lot and I personally feel that this is a sign of weakness and I don't like showing that at all! I don't want anyone to look at me any different if I am diagnosed with it (parents, siblings, friends) so I really am confused as to how I should go about this...

Any words of advice or encouragement?

·
Registered
211 Posts
Dear Pushin_500

being a mum of 2, let me tell you this: if one of my children would suspect they had diabetes, I would want them to tell me. You don't have to be afraid. Please tell someone that you're not feeling well. It is important to take good care of yourself....

Hang in there!

·
Registered
279 Posts
You are over 18, you can bring yourself to be tested. Diabetes is NOT a sign of weakness. And it takes a strong person to manage it. Get tested. If you are diabetic, you are not doing your body any good by not getting it under control as soon as you can.

·
Registered
3 Posts
As an adult I think this is something that you just have to go get tested and find out if you have it or not. If you are uninsured it is likely you have find cheap alternatives to testing.

After you get tested I'm sure that you will have a load of your shoulders. And when the time comes to tell your parents about it you can do it with more infomation at hand.

Depending on your location, you can actually have doctors come to your home or office. try. doing a google search for mobilemedcheck

·
Registered
14 Posts
(sorry for length)
I frequently find myself being fatigued and I urinate about 5x per day. A while ago I was looking into what causes this kind of fatigue because it really sucks just waking up and diabetes came up as a result, and since then i've had my suspicions.

The thing is, i've not wanted to get tested because I am kind of scared of finding out if I have it or not...I even turned down a job a while ago because I had to get a physical taken and tested for diabetes and I didn't want to. Im 20 years old and in class this past week we learned about diabetes typeI&II and I think I may have typeI. I am lean and never have the energy.

I want to change this and finally try to get my life in order and if diabetes is the problem, I want to take action to help fix it. The thing is, how can I tell my parents I want to get tested?

Im kind of afraid of doing that because I think they will worry for me a lot and I personally feel that this is a sign of weakness and I don't like showing that at all! I don't want anyone to look at me any different if I am diagnosed with it (parents, siblings, friends) so I really am confused as to how I should go about this...

Any words of advice or encouragement?
Get yourself tested right away. You are old enough to do it on your own. As far as it being a sign of weakness that is not at all true. There are quite a few professional athletes with diabetes. Some of them in the NFL that are definitely anything but weak . Since I started taking my diabetes serious I am in the best shape I ever been in at 37years young. I eat better , sleep better, and exercise on a regular basis now to keep it under control. To me it is a blessing in disguise.

·
Registered
663 Posts
See a doc & get tested!!!

Im 20 years old and in class this past week we learned about diabetes typeI&II and I think I may have typeI. I am lean and never have the energy.
Hello and Wlecome to DF, You must be suffering you pour thing.
What you have just lerned is the fact that you are a type 1. 37 years ago I was thin as a rake or (Death warmed up) and landed in hospital with diabetes.
Get tested as fast that you can read this!!!
Are you thirsty, Hungry, Irritable, Sleeping is a real joy and a thin as you are then this is my diagnosis. ;) See a doctor and good luck. :):D

·
Registered
5 Posts
As the mother of a 20 year old son I urge you to get checked. I recently told my son to go to the doctor to find out why he is always tired and told him I would pay what his insurance didn't cover. I am sure your mother would much rather have you get it taken care of now than to wait until damage has been done.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts