Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In Jan I went for another blood sugar test

12 hr fasting #was 104 then I was supposed to eat and come back

2 hrs later--just sort of experimenting I only ate not even a half of

piece of toast with just alittle butter--

the # was 106!!!

with eating bascially nothing what made it go up?

the time before my #s were higher since I've been bringing them

down in the last year--12 hr fasting was 137 then I ate maybe a quarter of a cup of cherrios and it was 122--I know these #s are higher then what I had last time--but I also ate alittle more!!

I guess I dont understand why eating nothing and the # went up

thanks for listening to me vent

I need that!!!

any and all advice and tips are greatly appreciate

take care all
Penney

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
you didn't eat nothing you ate 1/2 a piece of toast. toast is made from wheat. Wheat is very Glycemic (raises blood sugar fast)

It is carbohydrates and sugars that raise BGL. some Carbs raise BGL faster than table sugar. mashed potato's will raise BG faster than eating the same amount of table sugar.

This is the minimum knowledge you need, it will give a starting point.

Your diabetic, your pancreas no longer controls your Blood Sugar Levels BGL, So…You need to control your BGL.

It can be done
your tools

Pills and or insulin
exercise
Food

Read the labels on food packages.
you are interested in the TOTAL Carbohydrates.
get to know the Glycemic index of foods.
http://www.mendosa.com/gilists.htm

Food
All foods with carbohydrates (carbs) Raises BGL
especially fast acting carbs are
almost anything white. White bread, potato, rice, sugar (eating a potato is worse than eating sugar as far as BGL goes.)

Protein, fiber and fat
slows down the rise of BGL.

meds (pills and insulin)
lower BSL

exercise
lowers BSL

Basically those are the tools you have, use them well and you will have a long Happy life.

O ya… To learn HOW THIS ALL AFFECTS YOU… Test, test, test… before you eat, test 1 hour after you eat , test 2 hours after you eat test before exercise test after exercise. Everybody is affected differently by carbs and by different foods. So you need to test to find out how You react to different foods

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
you didn't eat nothing you ate 1/2 a piece of toast. toast is made from wheat. Wheat is very Glycemic (raises blood sugar fast)

It is carbohydrates and sugars that raise BGL. some Carbs raise BGL faster than table sugar. mashed potato's will raise BG faster than eating the same amount of table sugar.

This is the minimum knowledge you need, it will give a starting point.

Your diabetic, your pancreas no longer controls your Blood Sugar Levels BGL, So…You need to control your BGL.

It can be done
your tools

Pills and or insulin
exercise
Food

Read the labels on food packages.
you are interested in the TOTAL Carbohydrates.
get to know the Glycemic index of foods.
http://www.mendosa.com/gilists.htm

Food
All foods with carbohydrates (carbs) Raises BGL
especially fast acting carbs are
almost anything white. White bread, potato, rice, sugar (eating a potato is worse than eating sugar as far as BGL goes.)

Protein, fiber and fat
slows down the rise of BGL.

meds (pills and insulin)
lower BSL

exercise
lowers BSL

Basically those are the tools you have, use them well and you will have a long Happy life.

O ya… To learn HOW THIS ALL AFFECTS YOU… Test, test, test… before you eat, test 1 hour after you eat , test 2 hours after you eat test before exercise test after exercise. Everybody is affected differently by carbs and by different foods. So you need to test to find out how You react to different foods

I forgot about the white food--I was thinking of just eating very very little next time whould I do better eating quater cup of cherrios like I did time before last

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Cheerios is not the good choice either . . . most grains have a bad reputation with diabetics.

As soon as you get the strips for that meter, start testing an hour after you eat these foods and you'll see what we're saying - they are very high-glycemic foods. If you want your blood levels to stay low, you will have to stop eating toast, Cheerios, and whatever other foods cause a spike in your numbers.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
I forgot about the white food--I was thinking of just eating very very little next time whould I do better eating quater cup of cherrios like I did time before last
Actually cheerios also have carbs. Your numbers only went up by 2 points. Thats really nothing to be concerned about. Your body naturally releases glucose into your system all the time, especially if you dont eat enough. By starving yourself, you actually doing more harm than good. You would be *much* better off eating a well balanced meal of a good protein, healthy fat and whatever amount of carb *your* body can handle. The only way to really know this is to test around meals. I wouldn't sweat over a couple of points.

Have you met with a diabetes educator to go over basic diet plan and carb counting? I would strongly suggest it. Ask about it at your doctors office. If they dont have one they should be able to help you find one. Obsessing over every single blood glucose point is going to drive you batty :) If you don't have a good carb content book...get one. I recommend Calorie King carbohydrate counter. It is only 9 dollars...I never go anywhere without mine. I use it every day. You can find it at many large bookstores, or go to their web site and order it there. They also have the info online you can use until you get your copy.

Starving yourself isn't the way to go. Your body thinks it is starving and will just dump glucose into your system and you are really defeating yourself. Your body needs fuel to function. If you dont feed it, it will draw on its own stores and often you end up with a higher sugar than you would have if you had simply fed it properly.
The trick is to learn how to feed *your* body correctly to keep yourself in balance.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Actually cheerios also have carbs. Your numbers only went up by 2 points. Thats really nothing to be concerned about. Your body naturally releases glucose into your system all the time, especially if you dont eat enough. By starving yourself, you actually doing more harm than good. You would be *much* better off eating a well balanced meal of a good protein, healthy fat and whatever amount of carb *your* body can handle. The only way to really know this is to test around meals. I wouldn't sweat over a couple of points.

Have you met with a diabetes educator to go over basic diet plan and carb counting? I would strongly suggest it. Ask about it at your doctors office. If they dont have one they should be able to help you find one. Obsessing over every single blood glucose point is going to drive you batty :) If you don't have a good carb content book...get one. I recommend Calorie King carbohydrate counter. It is only 9 dollars...I never go anywhere without mine. I use it every day. You can find it at many large bookstores, or go to their web site and order it there. They also have the info online you can use until you get your copy.

Starving yourself isn't the way to go. Your body thinks it is starving and will just dump glucose into your system and you are really defeating yourself. Your body needs fuel to function. If you dont feed it, it will draw on its own stores and often you end up with a higher sugar than you would have if you had simply fed it properly.
The trick is to learn how to feed *your* body correctly to keep yourself in balance.

thanks for explaning everything so well--I know its bad not to eat but I just cant help it--Id like to lose alittle more weight--so I dont eat

I did have to see a dieticain which was a total waste of time.

I didnt like the tips she said--I just cant measure and count food

when Im hungry I want to eat and not worry about eating 10 nuts or 2 tablespoons of raisins--when Im hungry that little bit of food doesnt do much

keep the tips coming I really do appreciate it

thanks
Penney

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
thanks for explaning everything so well--I know its bad not to eat but I just cant help it--Id like to lose alittle more weight--so I dont eat

I did have to see a dieticain which was a total waste of time.

I didnt like the tips she said--I just cant measure and count food

when Im hungry I want to eat and not worry about eating 10 nuts or 2 tablespoons of raisins--when Im hungry that little bit of food doesnt do much

keep the tips coming I really do appreciate it

thanks
Penney
A dietitian isnt a total waste of time. Just because you didn't like her tips...didn't mean they weren't valid tips. They were simply not what you wanted to hear. Only you can make the decision whether or not to seriously take care of your diabetes. You *can* weigh and measure food....you are making the choice not to. You don't have to do it forever....eventually you learn what a proper portion is. I don't weigh everything anymore. Some things I have learned to "eyeball". But I still keep a scale on my kitchen counter and if I am in doubt at all I measure it. I do this because I know I need to...pure and simple. If I am really hungry I am certainly not going to fall over and pass out by taking the extra couple of minutes it takes to be sure my portion is appropriate.

And you are right...its bad not eat. You can help it...again..you are making the choice *not* to. By starving yourself you are really cutting off your nose to spite your face. Starving the body is the worst possible way to lose weight. Your body goes into "starvation mode" and holds on to every ounce it can. It will take you even longer to lose weight and part of what you *do* lose is valuable muscle..not fat. I am not meaning to sound harsh, it is just a fact. These are the things we need to do to take care of ourselves. It is up to us to decide to do them...or not. We all have free choice :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Try looking into the "Atkins diabetes revolution". You can eat and not feel hungry and still lose weight. Eating low carbs will help you with keeping your BSL down.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts