The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
38yr old male, healthy, fit with no past medical history. Sure my diet is carb heavy and I could be in better shape but at 5'9" 175 (now 170) I'm in decent shape. Went for a typical check up and physical and my blood sugar is 334 and my a1c is 12.

No doubt about it, I'm diabetic I suppose and have an endo appt this afternoon.

I'm in the healthcare field for work and know all too well the risks associated with diabetes.

Not in denial, but definitely surprised.

--JK

·
Registered
21 Posts
How? Tell me about it. While I'm older, 58, I had no medical history. No diabetes in my family. I'm 5'11" and 170 a cross country skier who trains year round. I ended up in the ER three weeks ago with BS of above 700.

I can point to a life long bad diet and poor health choices. Do you have any diabetes in your family?

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
It just happens. For some reason something goes awry with our hormone balance. We either produce way too much insulin , maybe because of heavy carb consumption. Eventually all the extra insulin burns out beta cells and then we become insulin insufficient. Also we seem to have an overproduction of glucagon which keeps us much higher than we should. Normally glucagon doesn't kick in until we are going too low (70 or below). But in many type 2's glucagon will be produced when we are 150 and raise us up to 200+ without eating anything. Some think there is a genetic component and genetic markers. I was the first in a very large family to get diabetes. I was in shape, I exercised 2-3 hours most days and I ate a vegetarian diet with all the things you are supposed to eat. I now eat quite differently. I eat to my meter and only eat food that keeps bgs close to 100-120.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Yes, jwags, I agree it just happens. In the short time I've known I'm a diabetic I've talked to many people of different life styles that become diabetic. Although, a family history is a strong precursor.

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
I hope your endo will run antibodies, and also a C-peptide and vitamin D status on you. Vitamin D has been implicated in both Types of Diabetes and it took me taking 4000 IU to get up to optimal.

And since you have adult-onset, I also hope they check thyroid status (TSH), since Thyroid autoimmune disorder goes with adult-onset LADA.

So do B12 deficiency (parietal cell antibodies) and gluten intolerance.

G

·
welcome SeaNile :) I was diagnosed with diabetes as a 25yo and I can you I had steam coming out of my ears after hearing my diagnosis as I only ever associated diabetes at the time with "life threatening as you can go into a coma"... my great aunt is diabetic and has been unconscious a few times. I did have several of the precursors though. So I hear ya... and as much as it's unpleasant and frustrating, it is a case of learning to accept and live with it. I still get mad myself sometimes after 13 years with it... but I'm thinking there's no point as those type of emotions actually don't help our BGLs either. There is a lot of things that impact on BGLs too, not just food and exercise. Anytime you are dehydrated, lacking sleep, sick, stressed, in pain, emotional, etc... your BGLs are adversely affected. So testing your BGLs in every scenario will help you get a handle on what exactly does affect you. So at this stage you haven't been told what type of diabetes you have? You've come to the right place for support and info anyhow... keep us posted on how you're doing.

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts
Vitamin D has been implicated in both Types of Diabetes and it took me taking 4000 IU to get up to optimal.
Yeah. My Vit D was <gulp> around 8. After 50,000-unit prescription Vit D (roughly equiv to 5000 D3 OTC) I'm now about 55. Scary how unhealthy I was.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Hi SeaNile

I'm 36 but I'm very much on the plumptious side :) so it's not me I wanted to share about but a friend of mine...

He is also 36 and was diagnosed at 34 with T2, he is sickening healthy...ate a normal (for society) high carb diet and was diagnosed out of the blue as well.....

You'll be a bit shocked for a while but you'll get there in the end.... IN the meantime...welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
741 Posts
Hi and welcome seanile

For my son he was 16 and got Type 2...skinny kid too....I got my gestationally and it never shifted at 28....and type 2.

We have always eaten really healthy...

I think sometimes it is what changes the way we look at life and after the shock wears off...we make some changes for the better...

·
Registered
718 Posts
I hope your endo will run antibodies, and also a C-peptide and vitamin D status on you. Vitamin D has been implicated in both Types of Diabetes and it took me taking 4000 IU to get up to optimal.

And since you have adult-onset, I also hope they check thyroid status (TSH), since Thyroid autoimmune disorder goes with adult-onset LADA.

So do B12 deficiency (parietal cell antibodies) and gluten intolerance.
I drive myself nuts when I try to research how all this is tied together, maybe you can lay it out for me?

My second son was born with a vit d deficiency and the only thing they could attribute it to after a year of treatment and tests, was that he didn't get enough from me while I was pregnant. My levels were in the lower "normal" range, though I'm aware we need more than the current recommendation. I try to take 2000IU/day, should I take more? Will that help control my blood sugar?

I'm also hypothyroid, have been since I was 10...but am on the right dose of Armour.

I was B12 deficient at one point too, but my levels were brought up to normal, though I think I should probably get tested again.

It just seems like everything is so interconnected and I have a hard time figuring out exactly what I should be doing. And of course all the doctors I go to just want me to take prescription meds and treat the symptoms. I'm much more interested in getting more to the root of the cause and trying to get all my hormones and other systems balanced.

Reactions: d33na and moon

·
Registered
741 Posts
there seems to be a world wide vitamin d deficiency...because Im an ex goth and totally avoid sunlight (I think I'm more than likely photosensitive) my doctor tested me too...but I'm fine....he said it was because everyone was now wearing sun screen....I don't like taking medications either if I can help it...I just walk my dog after the sun is it's harshest...I agree with you I want to know the cause....

·
Registered
718 Posts
Yeah, but the thing is, we lived in TN, and we don't use sun screen....I spent time outside every day while I was pg, and then he did too once he was born, often in just a diaper/shorts. My oldest was fine. We didn't know about the deficiency until he was 18 months old and started having seizures...his D2 levels were non-existent and his D3 was like 5, and he was hypocalcemic (which caused the seizures). My second takes after me, and I take after my grandmother...so I am pretty sure he's going to have some of the same issues when he gets older...and I think that low Vit D may be a part of it all. My mom only breastfed me for a short period of time, so I got extra Vit D as a baby from formula...but my son didn't b/c I only nursed him. So that may have been the difference. Who knows. LOL Sorry for hijacking the thread :)

·
Registered
609 Posts
38yr old male, healthy, fit with no past medical history. Sure my diet is carb heavy and I could be in better shape but at 5'9" 175 (now 170) I'm in decent shape. Went for a typical check up and physical and my blood sugar is 334 and my a1c is 12.

I'm in the healthcare field for work and know all too well the risks associated with diabetes.

--JK

Hi SeaNile, and welcome to the forum. You already answered your question by stating that your diet is "carb heavy". Your numbers tell the whole story, unfortunately. :( Your diet and numbers are going to have to change and you'll find all the tools you need to do that right here on the forum. :)

·
Registered
710 Posts
Hi SeaNile. Although the carb-heavy meals you refer to didn't cause your autoimmune T1, reducing the carb content of your meals really can help control your blood sugar without using large quantities of fast-acting insulin. As for what did cause it....legions of researchers have been delving into that problem for decades and have come up short so far. It seems that there is a genetic component and an as-yet-unidentified (possibly) environmental trigger that sets the ball rolling. Several viruses are suspects (cytomegalovirus and epstein-barr among them) but the direct link has yet to be established.

I think it's pretty normal to spend a lot ot time trying to find the answer to your question, especially right after diagnosis. I did it, and every T1 I've encountered did too. In the end, though, energy spent finding out how to control the beast is probably the best investment. Mastering insulin use and developing a relationship with food that keeps you healthy and that you can maintain for a lifetime will always serve you in good stead.

Jen

·
Registered
716 Posts
SeaNile said:

--JK
Hi SeaNile. Welcome to the shock and aw - 53 & Just diagnosed like 5 months ago. Still in shock and depressed about the whole thing. Really just want to scream as I don't need this extra **** in my life right now to complicate things but not much choice. I really wish there was a bright side to it. Still looking for that silver lining. I am in similar shape 184 when I started now 170 at 6'1". Well from what I have been told it is pretty much genetics so I look back on my mothers side and sure enough I have an uncle that went diabetic at about the same age. Well best of luck to you.

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
Welcome, SeaNile!

I was (uh, still am) 54. Genetic inevitability for me ... but I got it earlier and worse than my elders did. My diet was pretty bad, but nowhere near dismal. But I do believe our foods are far more sugar laden than they were 2-3 decades ago.

Very glad you found us, and sorry that you had to.

Please visit often, and keep us posted!

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Welcome SeaNile

Someone once told me "Welcome to the club no one wants to join (in having Diabetes)". There are many people here who are very knowledgeable and are willing to help you....so feel free to ask any questions you have.

Both of my parents got diagnosed with Type 2 in their mid 60's. Me.....I got Type 1 in my early 50's. Go figure. Stay strong.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Hi SeaNile. How did your appointment with your endo go?

Cheers,

Jeremy

·
Registered
42 Posts
Also we seem to have an overproduction of glucagon which keeps us much higher than we should. Normally glucagon doesn't kick in until we are going too low (70 or below). But in many type 2's glucagon will be produced when we are 150 and raise us up to 200+ without eating anything.
This is new for me Jwags...
Can you direct me to this kind of knowledge on the net?
For me, whenever my BG is under 170-160, I'll feel less powerful...i need to eat something and BANG, im energized again, but the meter said 240 :mad:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts