The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seriously, how do they handle pt reactions ranging from obsessive-compulsive, to non-compliant?

I am dealing with a person (not family) with T2D whose care consists of regular trips to the ER. Says they "cannot afford" meds, refuse insulin, but eats carbs and drinks alcohol. I do not know A1c b/c it would not be shared with me. Employed fulltime, refused to sign up for health insurance.

Age around 30. How long do you think this could last?

This is the stuff that turns into negative stereotyping of the poor and uninsured. Sad. And so frustrating b/c I know this person knows better, on an intellectual level.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Young people pick an choose what they spend money on. I would bet you that young man has an i-phone, expensive cable tv, video game systems and routinely goes out to eat. So he probably does have extra money but he just doesn't want to spend it on meds or insulin. Who pays for all of his ER visits. I know even with our insurance an ER visit will be almost $2000 which we get billed. It makes me so mad when people who choose not to be insured then go use the ER at will. 3 of my adult children don't have health insurance even though they are working. They choose not to spend the money. But as you said find ways to spend money on cars, alcohol, ciagarettes and vacations. Many meds are generic and are so cheap. In fact Metformin and 4 other diabetes drugs are free at Giant Eagle.

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts
3 of my adult children don't have health insurance even though they are working. They choose not to spend the money.
When I was in my 30's and started my own business, I was exceptionally healthy and also didn't want health insurance gobbling income. My parents begged me to get it, and said if something serious happened to me, they would not stand back and see me get inferior care, would have to step in, and my not having insurance could wipe them out.

I got insurance that very week and have not been without since.

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No, she actually lives quite on the cheap, actually, BUT, health insurance should have been a priority. She has a, er, hanger-on living off her, too. :mad:

funny how you all assumed it was a GUY.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Even my one son who is married and has a great job chose the cheapest insurance option at work where there are almost no premiums. But they have a $2500 deductible, which they rarely meet. We have a Health Savings Account which we just keep adding money too each year. We are saving it for retirement for when we have bigger bills. But for young people it is a pretty good option. Even if you have diabetes you can still get insurance pretty cheap especially if you work for a big employer. I also think younger people think nothing will happen to them. I always discuss with my 5 kids their risk of diabetes , they tell me I am crazy and taking this disease much too seriously. I know how frustrated it is to talk to my own adult children, I doubt a co-worker would be any easier.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
I dunno where they learned it, but my kids have always been freaky about insurance. The one has Crohn's, so he knows he MUST have coverage, one's wife is with Hartford, so if anything, they prob'ly are OVERinsured . . . one of the others has always kept full coverage - eye, dental, everything. It's quite a relief for us . . . that's for sure!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Well, it's just difficult at sometimes.

I know I can't speak for everyone else but I have a family of 4 and I am the sole provider in my household. My husband has been disabled since 2005 and the small disability check he gets barely helps for the month. My job only offers health coverage for me and it doesn't cover much at that. Both my kids are on CHIPS and my husband has Medicare.

For a long time I would put off going to the doctor whether it was for routine check up or really ill. I just couldn't cover the co-pay and deductible. I had other priorities rent, groceries, utilities...basic needs. I know how important health is but unfortunately I ha to push that one aside. Been doing better since I got D. But making those appt is still a sacrifice.

We barely get by month to month. hopefully one day thy will change or there will be better insurance opportunities for us.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
I have a sibling who works for minimum wage and says they cannot afford to see the Dr. I know for sure they have high blood pressure because at one time they were on medication.

I can respect the fact that they have expenses like everyone else - food, rent, gas etc. However.....this person has the latest electronic gadgetry, money for fast food (because they say it is cheaper than meat and vegetables), and most important to them I guess is money for chewing tobacco. Never mind they have the same risk factor that I do: both parents had diabetes and high blood pressure.

It breaks my heart to know how they are treating themselves :(

Reactions: foxl

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Even having insurance, and I do not have a deductible that has to be met, it is still expensive on a monthly basis to cover the cost of my supplies, and insulin and supplements and special foods that must be bought to live the life of LC/HF. As most of you know the coconut flour, almond flour, coconut oil, etc. does not come cheaply. So of course nobody and no companies are making it easy to live a healthy life, whether you are diabetic or not.
Jwags, I would hope that other pharmacies offer certain diabetic meds or antibiotics free (generic of course), but we are fortunate to have a pharmacy like Giant Eagles that offers these meds for free. Of course, most generic meds through insurance prescription plans are the cheapest of all copays, but it is still a blessing to get these meds for free. However, for me it is the only thing I get free for my diabetes (metformin). I added up what it costs me monthly for insulin, test strips, and needles monthly...it is over $250.00. This is a big bite out of a budget; even with both myself and my husband working. We also have my 90-yr old MIL living with us, so that is an added expense as well. Everything continues to increase in cost, but paychecks are staying the same. It's insanity.
As for those that have all the electronic modern conveniences and eat fast food, or at least eat out alot make me crazy when they choose not to be insured because it is just too much money. When they utilize the ER and don't have coverage and cannot pay the bill, who do you think ends up paying for that visit? Some people just don't care. It sickens me because there are those of us out there working our butts off just to keep our heads above water, and these people feel the need to be so full of themselves to shower themselves with everything they don't need and will do them absolutely no good if they end up dead from diabetes! So much with this world and what people are doing is just so negative and disgusting I can't even go on about it anymore without getting my blood pressure up!
I think our government and a majority of people need a good knock upside their heads! Okay, rant over. Thank you.

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It saddens me because she has no long view, whatsoever.

There should be a social worker helping her to access reduced-cost care management so she stops falling off the map in her care and diet, etc. She probably makes "too much" to qualify for aid, and yet, she needs help of some kind, to manage her finances or accommodate them. VERY frustrating.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
It saddens me because she has no long view, whatsoever.

There should be a social worker helping her to access reduced-cost care management so she stops falling off the map in her care and diet, etc. She probably makes "too much" to qualify for aid, and yet, she needs help of some kind, to manage her finances or accommodate them. VERY frustrating.
This is so true . . . and so many are in the same situation, confused with the whole scenario, so they do nothing. And as we all know, doing nothing is not a healthy option.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts