The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Administrator
Type 2
2,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
neverigveup.jpg

I think most of us have gone through times when we just get sick and tired of being diabetic.

When that happens, we may fall completely off the wagon and stop doing those things we KNOW work.

For some folks it may be just a day or two. For others it can last for weeks or even months.

When this happens, how do YOU get yourself back on track again?

·
Registered
146 Posts
I am so glad to see this post. I don't know the answer. I was doing so well and then found out despite my control my kidneys were affected, fell into a massive depression and can't climb out of it. I haven't been here for a while. I know I can't get myself back to a doc, but I figured at least I can come here and listen to all of you. I have no idea how to regain hope and get back on track. Would love to hear anybody's experience.

·
Administrator
Type 2
2,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So many time I have felt like I was taking one step forward and two steps back. I think that most, if not all of us, have been there.

I know that I have been there more than once.

I'm not a doctor. I don't even play one on the internet, but I can share what has helped me find my way back.

(1) Test and record daily.

(2) Track my meals and understand that while some people can get away with a few more carbs, 20 per day seems to be my limit.

(3) Walk daily, even if it is just around the block.

(4) Ask for moral support instead of hiding from the world when things are going wrong.​

The most important thing I have learned (for me) is that coming to this community and interacting with others, who truly understand, makes all the difference in the world.

Taking part in the daily threads gives me accountability.

It will always be a one day at a time type of journey, but we don't have to take it alone. We have each other.

·
Premium Member
2,665 Posts
@Taso HUGS! I have been where you are before, and so have a number of us here on the forum. Depression happens to us all and unfortunately hits diabetics even harder.

Couple years back, I was overwhelmed with depression made worse by my diabetes progressing. It took me two years to admit to a doctor that I needed help. I don't know how I could have speed up that process, maybe seeing a therapist would have been good but I am a stubborn mule. I quit my job, took a year off, helped care for my nephews and just took things one day at a time.

Which is a useless cliche but what I mean by it is that I didn't plan for how to transform my life, I didn't look back on the week and try to figure out how to do better. I just saved up the energy to deal with the next 5 minutes, and when I pulled that off, then I focused on getting through the next hour. Rinse repeat. I did that every day, and when I could, if I had extra in me that day, I would use it to take care of myself. I put my diabetes on "autopilot" and trusted that it would still be there when I was well enough to tackle it again.

Some weeks, getting myself into the shower and in clean clothes was a personal victory. I leaned on my husband and family a lot, though they didn't know how depressed I was (or at least we didn't talk about it). But I would just drop by my sisters and go "I'm going to play with your kids for a few hours" or call up my mom in the middle of the day and say "I can't take it anymore, let's go get lunch". We wouldn't talk about important stuff, or even talk at all sometimes, but just seeing people (instead of doing what I wanted which was lie on the couch) helped.

Sometimes things just suck, even when we try our best. It sucks that you are having trouble with your kidneys, but it's not your fault. It really isn't.

If there's anything we can do to help (including not pestering you about it), just say the word, or PM any of us moderators.

·
Premium Member
1,125 Posts
Hey there Taso!!!

Listen, we have ALL been there.. the first step is the hardest... once you commit again you will get things back in order. Depression is really hard and can zap you of your strength but please know this is normal and you can pick yourself up again and get yourself out of it.

Take that first step. Go for a walk... go to the grocery store and make the choices you made before... write in a diary... Punch a pillow for a while

take a stand now. take that first step. once you do that you will see the road ahead and you will navigate it as you did before.

We are all behind you and know you have friends here who will help you on your journey. If you need anything, please know we are here to help.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Thank you everybody for kind words.
I will try to focus on one day at a time. Maybe I can persuade myself to go for a walk tomorrow. I have to climb somehow out of this hole for the sake of my kids.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts