The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I didn't have this problem at all at first, but it's starting to become a little bit worrisome. I used to be waking up in the 80-110 range about every day which I was told was where I was supposed to be. But over the past week or so, my blood sugar levels just before breakfast have been lower than I like them, ranging from 53-70. I tested myself of sleep last night to try and see where it was dropping, but it seems fairly steady. I went to bed at a reading of 115. Three hours later I woke up and tested at 80. I had a piece of wheat bread and went back to sleep. About 6 hours later when I got up, I was at 62. I'm concerned that if I hadn't woken up and eaten the bread, it might have been lower. Or maybe not.

So, am I being paranoid about this? I was much more concerned about highs at first, but now I almost never go above 115, even if I test after eating, and instead have been more concerned with lows. Part of it was because I managed to scare myself by accidentally dropping to 45 at work, since I am locked in there with no one but myself if things go badly. I know I haven't been low enough to need anyone's assistance, but lower than 65 tends to make me feel shaky and weak, which is rather nerve wracking.

Should I talk to the doctor about lowering the Lantus, even though it was doing fine until recently? Could bad allergies (helloooo summer!) have anything to do with it?

Thanks guys.

Jenny

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
I would ask your endo about it. Eating a snack before bed should help. But maybe lowering your basal insulin a bit might help too. DO you take it in the morning or at night? I know some people that had problems with getting lower in the morning started taking their basal insulin in the morning instead of at night and that helped. But I say if it is worrisome to you than I would absolutely talk to your dr about it.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would ask your endo about it. Eating a snack before bed should help. But maybe lowering your basal insulin a bit might help too. DO you take it in the morning or at night? I know some people that had problems with getting lower in the morning started taking their basal insulin in the morning instead of at night and that helped. But I say if it is worrisome to you than I would absolutely talk to your dr about it.
Thanks. I will talk to her about it, but she's usually pretty booked and it might be a while before I see her, unfortunately. And I always get confused when my endo and nutritionist tell me different things XD

I take the Lantus at 9pm. Because I work nights part of the week, sometimes that's my 'morning' and sometimes that's my 'evening'.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Thanks. I will talk to her about it, but she's usually pretty booked and it might be a while before I see her, unfortunately. And I always get confused when my endo and nutritionist tell me different things XD

I take the Lantus at 9pm. Because I work nights part of the week, sometimes that's my 'morning' and sometimes that's my 'evening'.
My endo's office has a staff of nurse practitioners that we can see for issues also since the endo is so booked up all the time. They have a patient line where you can call and leave a message with your results and concerns and they call you back usually the same day or the next. Does your doc's office have something like that?

I was having the same problem. I also work nights so my eating pattern was so erratic. My endo finally had me switch my dose to half in the morning and half at night to try to balance it out. Finally I went on the pump and that seems to have alleviated a lot of the problems I was having due to not being able to keep a real schedule with my eating patterns. With the pump I no longer had to take Lantus, I simply use humalog all the time now.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Jenny, if its something serious as low blood sugar, you can do what I have done in the past and just bypass the receptionist. When they answer just say I need to speak to a nurse. And when they ask you why just say its personal (in case they just want to make you an appointment). They may be busy but will usually call you back pretty quick.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts