The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The past couple of days, it seems my postprandial numbers drop really fast... I'm in the 110s, then within one minute it's dropped 10pts... 10-20 minutes later and I'm in the 80s or 90s.

After lunch it was 117, 111, 105 within 2 minutes... then 20 minutes later it was 86.

One night it was 133, 124, 118 within 3 minutes.

It's done this a couple times. I've noticed my number is higher than usual, but then it comes down really fast.

I've never been completely precise about testing to the minute, but now I'm wondering if I should be? Or is it close enough if I'm within say 10 minutes of my 2 hour mark?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Do you think that's why there's a (whatever the percent chance that they give now) in prediabetics converging into full blown was because while you may be insulin resistance if it's just the muscle and liver and your beta cells might be normal? So if you are just insulin resistant there's a chance that you will just be that permanently since your beta cells may be ok? Or am I just screwed having false hope when my bs rise to 167 after 2 hours and it's a matter of time before I hit 200+..eh just a thought

·
Registered
930 Posts
those numbers indicate that not only are you diabetic but you are destroying your pancreas, you would do well to get on insulin and learn a basal/bolus routine to save what beta cells that you have left. the dividing line is 140 mg/dl at 1 hour. over that you are destroying your pancreas and inviting complications like your legs rotting off. your doctor likes that you are destroying your pancreas because then he has a crippled client for life and you will become a big money maker for big pharma and the AMA. as long as they can keep you fooled into believing that high blood sugar and not it's cause is the problem they have you hooked!
at least on insulin you will have time to find the real problem/solution before your pancreas gives out.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Shanny...that helps explain how it works... I guess I'm just wondering if it has to be measured to the minute, or does it really matter if I'm 10 minutes off, even if it drops quickly? I'm usually within 10 minutes... but rarely ever do I test to the minute. Just seems like a huge difference between 118 and 91, though they're both acceptable.

ColaJim, are you replying to JChase or me?

·
Registered
203 Posts
Pretty Darn Fast!!!!

My numbers will drop in a "heart beat!" Because I'm on a beta-blocker, I don't get all the early symptoms until I'm in the 60 range. Today, my pre-workout numbers were 221, and after an hour of working out, I was at 65.

The 221 is a little higher than normal for me, but it's the huge drop after an hour of working out. My hour includes 30 minutes of light weights, isometrics, balance and stretching. The other 30 minutes are spent on my recumbent bike, at an average speed of 13 mph.

I do this regimen twice a week, and the other three days are a 50 minute ride on the bike, with 8 minutes of stretching.

I don't like the lows, but they seem to be part and parcel of the disease, although I'm sure some on the forum would disagree with that statement. :eek:

My HMO seems to agree with my statement, as they'd rather not have me bottoming out. Something to do with the body releasing adrenaline when this happens, and it is not good for the body over all. So I work hard at not allowing myself to bottom out, although it is difficult because my body does what it wants. :D

Shalom,

Pastor Paul

·
Registered
930 Posts
Thanks Shanny...that helps explain how it works... I guess I'm just wondering if it has to be measured to the minute, or does it really matter if I'm 10 minutes off, even if it drops quickly? I'm usually within 10 minutes... but rarely ever do I test to the minute. Just seems like a huge difference between 118 and 91, though they're both acceptable.

sorry, i seem to have been replying to Jchase

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
My numbers will drop in a "heart beat!" Because I'm on a beta-blocker, I don't get all the early symptoms until I'm in the 60 range. Today, my pre-workout numbers were 221, and after an hour of working out, I was at 65.

The 221 is a little higher than normal for me, but it's the huge drop after an hour of working out. My hour includes 30 minutes of light weights, isometrics, balance and stretching. The other 30 minutes are spent on my recumbent bike, at an average speed of 13 mph.

I do this regimen twice a week, and the other three days are a 50 minute ride on the bike, with 8 minutes of stretching.

I don't like the lows, but they seem to be part and parcel of the disease, although I'm sure some on the forum would disagree with that statement. :eek:

My HMO seems to agree with my statement, as they'd rather not have me bottoming out. Something to do with the body releasing adrenaline when this happens, and it is not good for the body over all. So I work hard at not allowing myself to bottom out, although it is difficult because my body does what it wants. :D

Shalom,

Pastor Paul
Why does it matter to your HMO if you bottom out? Of course when you go lower the more chance of needing assistance thus more money that your HMO would have to pay out. I would stay about an hour with your HMO and leave, they are telling you how to live your life.

·
Registered
43 Posts
wdmama said:

I try to get to the "hour" maybe not to the minute but obviously 30 min can create a huge difference I personally believe but 5 min window or so I find that my 124 level or whatever that may be doesn't change much if it's just minutes difference. Ps I've never been diagnosed as diabetic. I'm not on insulin or any medication, and 2 years ago I was told I was borderline and to watch my sugars to make sure they don't get out of control (this was by my OB who monitored my gestational diabetes). I have since lost 10 pounds and been active with my daughter and yet I still have spikes. I'm going to a new doctor Monday who will hopefully point me in some direction. I find that after a super low carb meal (grilled fish with spices and veggies) I tend to drop 10-20 points within an hour. Sorry for the confusion! But I'm afraid to speak as a pre diabetic or what ever the heck I am because I was never given a full on diagnosis since I was pregnant

1 - 9 of 9 Posts