Diabetes Forum banner
  • Welcome! Are you ready to join the discussions? Click here!

How happy are you ?

Tags
london
8K views 45 replies 19 participants last post by  Muckwit 
#1 · (Edited)
I was thinking lately about my life and I came to a conclusion. I am a plumber, I live in a busy London road, all the fumes , noise and pollution are for me to enjoy, my health is going down the drain, etc

I don't think I am happy.

On a scale 1 to 10 , where are you ? I am a bit depressed

#2 ·
Awww Plumber, I'm sorry you're feeling down. I'm probably at 7 out of 10 for happy, but I'm the first to admit that it's mostly due to attitude (and some basic medication for depression/anxiety). For instance this week we had to take one of our pets for emergency care and have a huge vet bill that may or may not be covered partly by insurance, but on the up side we still have our pet! :p Is there a way you could take a vacation and get out of the city for a bit?

#3 ·
I am sorry to hear you feel unhappy. I believe everyone is entitle to living a happy life. Maybe you could talk it out with some one like a spouse, friend or even a counselor. When I went through depression, just talking with some one really helped me.

As for my happiness level i would say i am at an 8.5-9. My diagnosesof type was is really a bummer and sometimes gets me down but i have wonderful parents i can talk too. School and work don;t give me much joy either but they are things i need to do. Despite all that, i am generally happy.

Hang in there Plumber!

#9 ·
I am happy because my family is healthy and fine. I lost my father young and if i could i would change that. It taught me to realize every single day the gift of loved ones. I am happy that my family is safe and healthy. I feel blessed when i see all these terror attacks all around the world and see innocent people die. I cannot imagine the pain the families go through.

I have my lows- although from an outsider's perspective i should have nothing to complain of. But still there are days when you feel that this is not the life you wanted or dreamt of. But even in those lows, i try to keep a smile because when i am low, my family is sad. I went through depression once and will never be able to forgive myself over what i made my family go through. Now i go through life reminding myself that every smile and joy my family experiences because of me, makes my life worthwhile.

I would say....7/10......is that the hitman ringing the doorbell? :)

P.S. It would rise to 9/10 if i could include carbs as much as i wanted :)

#14 ·
I like pets more than you think Mr Paulomi. But I live in London, UK

My last cat died in 2009 and I paid for that
I want to own a cat once. I have always been a dog person but overall i love all animals. I find kittens so cute!

I have made a lot of friends on this forum and there are days i feel frustrated and low and all of these guys make me feel better. Take each day as it comes. One day you will reach a 3, then a 4 and someday 9....and then we all will pay for the hitman :)

Hang in there guy! There are more than enough reasons life gives to smile. Sometimes it just takes awhile to fit the pieces of the puzzle.

#15 · (Edited by Moderator)
I want to own a cat once. I have always been a dog person but overall i love all animals. I find kittens so cute!

I have made a lot of friends on this forum and there are days i feel frustrated and low and all of these guys make me feel better. Take each day as it comes. One day you will reach a 3, then a 4 and someday 9....and then we all will pay for the hitman :)

Hang in there guy! There are more than enough reasons life gives to smile. Sometimes it just takes awhile to fit the pieces of the puzzle.
Mr Paulom , you asked for it

she died in 2009

Attachments

#16 · (Edited by Moderator)
Oh she is awesome! You should really get another one. The best impulsive decision i ever made was to adopt my dog from a shelter. I just walked into a shelter to check it out and could not leave without her. Here is my sweetheart!

Think about it....Sometimes a decision totally defies logic but works the best for you!

Attachments

#20 ·
Try to focus on the good things in your life :) If you get too low, don't hesitate to seek professional help - just a couple of sessions where you can put your feelings into words to another human being who you don't have to put the happy/strong face on for might be enough. When I'm really fed up with my body I try to think "better me than my loved ones", I seriously doubt they'd have the patience to put up with it all ;)

#25 ·
That's too funny! Calling someone 99 in my country, you're implying they're not quite 100 :D You might be young but you're quite astute - I tend to act a wee bit loony occasionally
Edit: When it comes to moral help I'm afraid you're on your own...

#26 ·
Hey, you guys...this is a sensitive subject for me. i'm older (73) and lost a stepson in suicide, and I may be nearer the 'pearly gates' than all of you, but I still feel joy for the simplest times. In fact, some of those are the best when I look back on them.

The avocado that I just ate was really good, for example! I think our media makes us sadder because of the over-playing they do on things we can do nothing about, instead of the things we can directly about.

Take care all and live life the best way we can and be grateful for all we have,

#27 ·
I totally agree with you. It is looking at the small things in life (a great avocado) and finding pleasure in them. I think advertisers especially tell us that we can't be happy without this or that when in reality it is only the maker of that product that is happy cause he just made a bunch of money. I live down the street from a fire hall so I hear sirens all the time ... I could be angry with the noise but I can be thankful because 1. They aren't coming to my house and 2. I still have my hearing and can hear them. It's my choice.

#28 ·
Plumber I think you need to gain perspective on the things around you and the people that are in your life. You had a heart attack at a young age and it has emotionally devastated you I understand that, I have been there. Some where in your brain there is a little voice yelling at you to become emotionally stronger than what you are right now. You just have to listen to it, don't ignore it. If you find yourself thinking negatively just stop your brain, its your brain, and tell it to start thinking about something positive. You can do this.

#29 ·
I totally agree with what's mostly been said. There are so many things that can help you gain perspective. Has anyone turned on the news in the past day? Seen Amanda Berry, Gina DeJesus or Michelle Knight? It's about 40 minutes from where I live. That happened in inner city Cleveland, and I live out on the lakefront, in the suburbs. If you're not familiar, these were children that went missing through presumed kidnappings 11-12 years ago in separate incidents. Because Amanda finally saw a chance to escape, she did. In the meantime, the three **** that are suspects have been arrested. The three ladies, now 11 years older, are alive and in fair condition. The news has been plastered around here with the reunions of these ladies and their families. If you're feeling down, go to any national news site and read their story, which is now everywhere. I'll bet you're seeing a glimmer of hope in your own lives after that! People are actually on the streets in downtown Cleveland cheering that they've been rescued.

Also, the days may seem dark for some now, but with the continued strength and support of family, friends, and those we've come to know as family in this forum, the darkness will eventually begin to lift. :grouphug:

#30 ·
I am sorry you are not feeling good right now.

I would have to say I am a 7 right now. Yes, I just got this diagnosis but I also found this forum. My husband is a grain eater but he is open to the idea of my LCHF menu. He is willing to read and learn about it. I did just lose my father to leukemia a year ago but he is no longer in pain. I have 5 children.... Well I have children. I wanted them, we tried for 6 years to have them and now we do. No going back lol.
It can be difficult at times to see the positives in things but we need to try. If you can't find that positive maybe talking to your doctor about an antidepressant would be a good idea. I hope you are feeling better soon.

#36 ·
From this statement...

I was thinking today about Paris Jackson and Stephen Fry, last week , my doctor gave me a prescription for Mirtazapine 15mg. I did not take the pills yet.
I take it that you are having suicidal thoughts. In November you said you were taking 9 medicines, plus aspirin. Please check the side effects of each of your meds as some can cause depression and/or suicidal thoughts. If this is the case, your doctor can eliminate that medicine or replace it with one that does not have those side effects.

#33 · (Edited by Moderator)
Hmmm... I think at this point in my life I am at a 6 on the happiness scale. I am seperated from my husband, want to move to a different state (cold winters are getting to me) and have back problems. However, I have a good job that I hope to retire form in 6 years, wonderful friends and family and my 4 legged furry baby (pictured below.. if I do this right)

Attachments

Reactions: Tamagno
#37 ·
Plumber & Rustynail, the positive in being a 2, is that there is hardly any room to go lower. So the only other way is UP toward the 5-10. In a book called 'Man's Search for Meaning' I read, the hardship the people went through and ultimately the search for purpose the doctor so eloquently explains.

Don't despair or give up, just find the purpose in your young life. Also know that everything is temporary. Life happens to everybody. This period shall pass, believe me.

Take care. :)

#38 ·
I tend to bounce around. While I may not feel unhappy sometimes I do feel a lot more jaded than in the past. A lot of things just seem pointless. I feel most people are selfish jerks. I do have a great immediate family but I am single and live alone. I love my freedom and am quite happy spending a lot of time by myself but then once in awhile it sucks. I have always found joy in simple things, and I still do most of the time, but I just don't care about many things anymore.

#39 ·
I know what you mean. I too feel very cynical most of the times. Happiness is never about being alone or being with a partner. If you are happy from within, you will just be happy despite ur relationship status. That said, every person will have his lows- single or married. I am married with a baby and there are times i wish i had the freedom that came with being single. You cant have the cake and eat it too :)

Finding joy in small things is the best way that works for me too. Sometimes you just look around and realize how lucky you are to have the family and friends you have. Seeing those small school children being gunned down by crazy psychos, terrorist attacks in various countries and seeing those family members breaking down makes me realize that life is not always fair. I count my blessings and thank God for keeping my loved ones hale and hearty. Dx is a very small price to pay.

#40 ·
It was so odd... I answered the door and the guy outside said he was a hitman from the Internet sent to kill me for being too happy. He told me that nobody should be that happy.

He pointed out that sometimes my partner and I don't get along, my mother is elderly and sometimes has health problems, my dog is ancient and on many costly medications, my cats regularly puke hairballs on the carpet or miss the litterbox, and there's SO MUCH WORK required to take care of a house and yard.

So I showed him my beautiful partner who tells me she loves me on a daily basis, my lovely mother who bakes cookies for us when she's feeling well and is always such a joy to have around, my cute dog who knows the sound of the peanut butter jar opening even though she's mostly deaf at other times, my cats who climb on my lap and purr, and one of which can high-five me for a treat. I showed him my lovely house and yard, with berry bushes and garden full of promise for the future, and told him he'd be happy too if he had all I have.

Strangely, by the time I finished showing him all I actually had, he was gone. Must have changed his mind.

#43 ·
SO WELL WRITTEN!!!! there are no words which could express it better. i totally relate to the dog thing. My husband unlocks the house with his key, comes and stands next to my sleeping dog and wakes her up to tell he is home. :) But try smuggling an egg in the house and she will miraculously appear behind you with her pitiful eyes ;)

#42 ·
It's sad to see so many people identify themselves as low on the happiness scale. Diabetes is such a difficult disease to control (and often it isn't the only one diabetics suffer from). I just wish I could give everyone a hug and help them to feel better about their health and their lives.

~Sorry, having a Pollyana moment here~

#44 ·
I didn't even factor in my diabetes.... I am controlling it therefore its a non-factor.

Reactions: wysiwyg295
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.