The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hot enough we can no longer sleep upstairs in the un-air-conditioned rooms. We have an enormous attic fan which pulls in cooler air most nights & makes it tolerable with a little help from an oscillating fan blowing across the bed, but tonight we ran the attic fan for an hour & it hadn't cooled off a bit up there. Maybe that's because it's still 86° OUTside. :mad: Lord I miss Colorado!

We have a futon in the living room for exactly that reason - if it's too hot or too cold to sleep up there, we can move downstairs to the a/c or the woodstove, whichever. :cool: So my sweet man is slumbering peacefully on the futon, the furballs seem to think this is just the ticket, & I wonder if I'll get any sleep at all unless I go into that sauna upstairs to retrieve my CPAP machine. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
It's pretty darn hot, but at least our AC is working... constantly. The forum is pretty sparce on members at the moment so obviously some of us are able to get some sleep tonight. Must be nice. My problem isn't the heat, but insomnia. I hate when that happens!

·
Registered
261 Posts
How hot IS it?
Too frickin' hot for too long!
We tried taking the boat out on the lake the other day when the *cool front* came through (first time in weeks because of the heat), a chilly lower 90's day and the heat index was still over 100. We won't be doing that again.
I'm thinking I'm giving up fishing til fall.
The new kitty has found a cool dark spot under the futon in front of an AC vent and that's where she spends most of the day just coming out for a bite to eat, a poop and a quick hello to her human pets.
I swear I'm seeing sweat on her brow too!

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
It's SO HOT, our outdoor kitty Mr B. came in, lay on the floor, and propped his leg up so his belly cooled off. He is not comfortable with being in, but he dozed while we watched TV for some time! It's YUCKY.

Get that A/C repaired, Shanny -- it is DANGEROUSLY hot! I am afraid to take the afternoon bus!!!:eek:

·
Registered
741 Posts
I live in Perth which would like the hottest place in California...we have a min of 9months of summer a year...at the moment it's raining but even then it warms up and its humid...I'd die without an air con...

·
Premium Member
6,162 Posts
I live in Perth which would like the hottest place in California...
Nah, you don't mean that :) Death Valley is the hottest place. Today it's due to be 118F (48C) but will cool down at night to a chilly 90F (32C)! At least it's a dry heat.

Regular summer temps inland in CA where people really live are 95-100F (35-38C), but of course we don't have your humidity.

Fortunately, weather-wise, I live on the Central Coast of CA and our weather is the envy of the country this time of year. This week it's very typical summer weather: sunny, mid 70'sF (23C), cooling down to the mid-50'sF (13C) at night. Nobody here has air conditioning - it's unheard of.

Hey, we have to get something for the exorbitant cost of living!

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Get that A/C repaired, Shanny -- it is DANGEROUSLY hot! I am afraid to take the afternoon bus!!!:eek:
There's nothing to repair - we just air-condition two rooms—kitchen & living room. There's no ductwork in this old house, so we installed a wall unit for the two rooms & all the rest of the house is climate-controlled by Mother Nature. We try to bend her will by using the attic fan, but she's basically pretty intractable! ;)

·
Registered
322 Posts
well i do have to say i dont know what i would do with all the heat. currently today it is a blistering 59deg in anchorage alaska. just about right if you ask me.
so while you all lay there and sweat, you can think cold thoughts of me up here. as i enjoy this sweet alaskan summer.

:-D

·
Premium Member
6,162 Posts
It's all what we get used to. A close childhood friend from NC moved to the Brazilian rainforest near the equator right after college and has lived there since.

I saw her about 10 years ago when we were both visiting NC. It was late Spring and the humidity had already started and being from CA now it was killing me. She volunteered the comment that she suffers from the dry climate when she's in NC, that her nasal passages dry up, she's miserable, etc. And I in turn volunteered that all our talk of me visiting her was now off the table.

·
Registered
930 Posts
When I lived in Kodiak, Alaska years ago a blistering hot day was about 70 F. And it rained most of the time which I was happy about because if it didn't rain for 3 days the place turned into a dust bowl. But the strangest part was the strong reversing winds (winawalls?). For entertainment we had a major earthquake/tidal wave that left the fishing boats up in town and a lot of the town out at sea. That was at least exciting ( no heat or electricity for weeks ) in an otherwise drab, boring place.

Am I old or what? . :D

ColaJim

well i do have to say i dont know what i would do with all the heat. currently today it is a blistering 59deg in anchorage alaska. just about right if you ask me.
so while you all lay there and sweat, you can think cold thoughts of me up here. as i enjoy this sweet alaskan summer.

:-D

Reactions: Shanny

·
Registered
298 Posts
It was a blistering 68 here today. We went and walked around a native American festival and we were sweating when we were done... The sun(when it shines) is brutal here.

·
Registered
78 Posts
The heat here in Kansas has been unbearable! Before this year, we would have maybe two weeks total of temps above 100 degrees.. this year we have been over 100 for practically the whole month of July, and we aren't talking 101, 102... we are talking 107 108.. One day earlierr this week, we got to 111 which is 3 degrees from the highest recorded temperature in Kansas history.. and there is no let up in sight. Winter can not come soon enough!!!!!

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Winter can not come soon enough!!!!!
Oh Cady - be careful what you wish for! Second Wave of Blizzards Hits Colorado, Nebraska and Kansas - March 1987 :D :D :D But I agree, it's darn hard choosing which is worse!

(I only mention that blizzard because my everlovin' was stuck in a Kansas motel for three days. As he headed outta Missouri (where he'd been house-shopping & found this old barn we now call home), he knew I-70 was closed at Salina & there wouldn't be accomodations there, so he jumped off at Topeka. After three days, cabin fever kicked in & he took off anyhow - the interstates had one lane plowed open by then, but he still couldn't get past Salina, so he took a heading north to York NE, still traveling through one-lane "tunnels" plowed through the snow & managed to get home via I-80.) Looked about like this . . . snow tunnel.

·
Registered
8,795 Posts
I love the long days of summer. I have less 'down' days, but then I live in Louisiana and therefore have to have AC and I keep it on 70 degrees basically all year long. More like 65 in the winter. One year I wanted a fire in the fireplace at Christmas, so we turned the AC on for the day!

·
Registered
78 Posts
Oh Cady - be careful what you wish for! Second Wave of Blizzards Hits Colorado, Nebraska and Kansas - March 1987 :D :D :D But I agree, it's darn hard choosing which is worse!

(I only mention that blizzard because my everlovin' was stuck in a Kansas motel for three days. As he headed outta Missouri (where he'd been house-shopping & found this old barn we now call home), he knew I-70 was closed at Salina & there wouldn't be accomodations there, so he jumped off at Topeka. After three days, cabin fever kicked in & he took off anyhow - the interstates had one lane plowed open by then, but he still couldn't get past Salina, so he took a heading north to York NE, still traveling through one-lane "tunnels" plowed through the snow & managed to get home via I-80.) Looked about like this . . . snow tunnel.

I will agree.. the weather can get really bad in the winter too.. but I look at it like this.. if I'm cold in the winter, I can always put on more clothes.. in the summer, you can only take so much off LOL:p

Reactions: Shanny

·
Registered
298 Posts
Shanny said:

They were still skiing at one the resorts here until a couple of weeks ago. Last year we took a drive up to a place called artist point... Not this year it still has 50-80 ft of snow

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
I will agree.. the weather can get really bad in the winter too.. but I look at it like this.. if I'm cold in the winter, I can always put on more clothes.. in the summer, you can only take so much off LOL:p
I agree with both of you 100%!!! It has been in the upper 90's to 101 degrees F since the middle of June. The humidity is between 70-100% also which makes it feel like a sauna outside. I usually don't have a lot of trouble with my diabetes during the Summer, but this year self management has been a BEAR.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts