The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I read these magazines that have these excellent workout plans. I do the workouts, but I don't do the crazy diet that they show with it. I don't eat a lot of egg whites and things like that, but I do make sure I eat healthy and drink protein shakes like "Muscle Milk". Is it important to follow the diet plan that they have in these magazines? I mean, prisoners don't follow a series diet plan and they come out pretty ripped.

·
Registered
147 Posts
The best advice I could give you and I took this advice myself-- I went to the YMCA when I was diagnosed and had a handle on things-- I went there and paid for a personal trainer (around $100.00 for a 3 visits for a week).. Explained the situation to the personal trainer who then came up with great examples of a meal plan and workout plan for me.. I felt wonderful after that first week and still apply what my personal trainer and my Dr. agreed to.. As for prisoners and being "buff" they are provided some equipment, use all their free time lifting(which is alot of free time) and they also eat a TON of starches. In other words they basically get to work out as though that is their ONLY job just like weightlifters.

·
Registered
663 Posts
It's just like getting petrol in a car. Quality carbs and get quality performance from your body and a great way to loose the weight. :D:p

·
Registered
6 Posts
Diet and exercise is very important in both type 1 and 2 diabetes , so WHO recommendations are to start with diet and exercise (without any oral pills) for three months, and if this fails , then we should start oral medications (for type 2)

I met a patient (no no , he is no longer a patient) diagnosed with diabetes type 2 10 years ago , and he has not swallowed even a one tablet since 10 years ! he lives disease-free just by diet and exercise ,

for type 1 , the importance of diet and exercise is still crucial , your heart will work better , your vessels will be more elastic , and you will need less insulin , and your complication-free lifetime will prolong ,

now if you want a starting plan here is an example :

1- Buy the book : The new Glucose revolution (small hand book) , you will learn the concepts of glycemic index(GI) and glycemic load (GL), the metabolic syndrome , a sample menu for a week of low GI eating , the GI and GL tables.
over than 1 million copies sold ,it is not useful for only the diabetic people , it is useful for all who want to live and eat healthy.
read this book carefully and you will learn alot of information about diet and diabetes.

2- Buy a fitness device , like orbitreck (for shorter and harder exercise , good for young and middle-aged people , and it is cheaper) or sport treadmill (more suitable for elderly and pregnants ,for longer but softer exercise , more expensive) and start to exercise on daily basis
for the orbitreck , accumulate 20 min daily and that will be good .
for the treadmill , you should exercise for 30 min daily ...

you should do exercise no less than 150/min weekly (ADA recommendations)

did you see that ? only two steps to live healthy and look better ...

Dr.Debilitas

1 - 5 of 5 Posts