The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been taking 3 TSP for the past week. It tastes bad to me. I used to put it on bread but now am doing low carb Hi Fat and gave up bread. I tried putting it in tea but that doesn't taste much better.

Also, I think I have low thyroid because I am cold all the time and my morning body temp ranges from 96.3 to 97.5. My doc tested my TSH but said I had normal thyroid. The lack of energy and coldness is freaking me out. Since my blood test was normal my Doc won't give me Synthroid.

does anyone have any advice ?

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
re: coconut oil, it replaces proteins and carbs as an energy source.

It also contains medium chain triglycerides, which are rapidly metabolised in the liver for quick energy.

As far as being cold goes ... it may be you just ARE cold. (to hearken back to an old problem at my house, have you changed your furnace filter lately?).

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
I think the coldness could be a deficiency of iron or just not eating enough. It's an investment, but a home espresso machine is an excellent way to handle coconut oil. I have one. I make a strong "Americano" with heavy cream and 1 tbsp of coconut oil. Hit the mixture with the steam want and the coconut completely disappears just leaving a delicious flavor (to me, anyway) behind.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
re: coconut oil, it replaces proteins and carbs as an energy source.

It also contains medium chain triglycerides, which are rapidly metabolised in the liver for quick energy.

As far as being cold goes ... it may be you just ARE cold. (to hearken back to an old problem at my house, have you changed your furnace filter lately?).
Yes, the furnace is working. I am cold even when the furnace is on and I am wearing sweaters. I think it is a metabolic problem.

Don't know if its typical of Type 2 Diabetes or due to low thyroid.

The only weird thing on my blood work is that my Red Blood Cell count is always on the low end of the normal range for the past 2 years.

I had started taking an iron pill this week. It seems to make my legs stronger and give me a little more pep.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
So your doc did a CBC when he did the TSH? Did he say you're actually anemic?

Otherwise, all I can suggest is get a wood stove . . . nothing will ever keep you warm like a
can. No fans, no blowers - just warm radiant heat. :D

·
Registered
556 Posts
If you are losing weight, that can cause you to feel cold. My husband lost 40 pounds and even when I'm sweating, he is all bundled up and still freezing.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I tend to have the opposite problem, I am hot most of the time, so we keep heat at 60 most of the day. As far as the Coconut Oil, I use it in most of my baking adventures. It is great in cookies and muffins. Sometimes I mix it with almond butter and spread on a GG cracker. I don't like it in my coffee and I don't like to eat it plain. I do cook my eggs in it and all my veggies. For me CO keeps my bg fairly stable all day. It helps prevent those pesky bg spikes many of us tend to get. My bgs tend never to go low but never go too high.

Reactions: Daytona

·
Registered
71 Posts
wow, I am very glad I read this./ I was wondering what the CO was for . I HAVE to go buy some now !! The expresso sounds devine !!! I have some benas and the machine just waiting ...for the oil ... : )

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
If your level of ferritin or vitamine D is low, it will also give you many of the symptoms of low thyroid / hypothyreose.
But even if your TSH is in the normal range, you can have trouble with your thyroid. You can also have a nice TSH and anti-bodies (anti-TPO), which means sooner or later you will need medication for this since high anti-TPO will make your thyroid not functioning in the end. The symptoms can appear before your TSH becomes to high.
I have a really good book about this:
Amazon.com: Hypothyroidism Type 2: The Epidemic (9780975262405): Mark Starr M.D.: Books

·
Registered
253 Posts
I've been taking 3 TSP for the past week. It tastes bad to me. I used to put it on bread but now am doing low carb Hi Fat and gave up bread. I tried putting it in tea but that doesn't taste much better.
Try it on popcorn :)

Also, I think I have low thyroid because I am cold all the time and my morning body temp ranges from 96.3 to 97.5. My doc tested my TSH but said I had normal thyroid. The lack of energy and coldness is freaking me out. Since my blood test was normal my Doc won't give me Synthroid.
I read an excellent book by Broda Barnes (about 30 years ago, I might have the spelling of his name wrong) 'Hypothyroidism, the unsuspected illness.' I took my morning temps (but can't remember exactly what he suggested was the borderline). Mine were low, and about a dozen other things convinced me that I was hypothyroid.

Went to the doc who did a test and said I was in the normal range, but at the very bottom of it. He said if I wanted to I could try synthroid, but not to expect to notice any difference for a month or so. I took the first one and within 24 hours there was a dramatic difference.

So check with the doc about just where in the normal range you are. Some of them might be bright enough, but not good at communicating. It is one of the cheapest and safest medications around, but it makes such a difference in the way you feel. It is worth a try. You might be able to use your people skills to get a prescription.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you for the advice. Yes my ferritin and RBC have been low for a couple of years. I just got all my back medical records and reviewed them myself. The RBC and ferritin have been low for years.

I also suspect low thyroid even though my TSH was normal. Sometimes my morning temp is 96.6.

·
WHAT, I got D
3,849 Posts
I've been taking 3 TSP for the past
PHP:
week. It tastes bad to me. I used to put it on bread but now am doing low carb Hi Fat and gave up bread. I tried putting it in tea but that doesn't taste much better.

does anyone have any advice ?
Coconut oil works best if you are low carbing for sure. I buy the the tastless odorless organic Spectrum brand, I hate coconut.

You have to get your doc to test for free T2, T3 to tell the whole story about thyroid, not just TSH. If he wouldn't then go to mymedlab.com. Sorry if this post is redundant, I am on my tablet and it is a little combersome to work withu

·
Registered
71 Posts
I NEED to know WHERE to BUY some of these things ..

coconut oil ? whey powder ? I found agave at foodlion, I am going to look in harris teeter, if its in some grocery store its cheaper for me, ( foodstamps) But I will pay for the whey powder if I HAVE to get it from the healthy food store... Just let me know what else to buy, and where I can buy it .. THANK YOU ~~~

·
WHAT, I got D
3,849 Posts
Wally world carries CO in several brands and really cheap compared to any where I have seen.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
I found agave at foodlion, I am going to look in harris teeter, if its in some grocery store its cheaper for me, ( foodstamps)
I've seen whey powder at Walmart, but I haven't checked it for quality.

I'd also be very careful of agave unless you've used it already and know it won't spike you. IMO, it's no different than regular pancake syrup where diabetes is involved. If I had to spend food stamps on it, I'd leave it on the shelf.

You need to be testing, testing, testing, as you figure out your diabetes way of eating.

·
Registered
71 Posts
thanxs !!! i am going on the 6th to wally world !!! finally got my test strips called in after 10 hours of my own work wish i got thier pay , i did thier jobs !! LOL but i am glad to finally have everything i need and start my best in changing the way i eat .... i love expresso , hate coconuts so that will be the way i start taking my coconut oil ...

·
Registered
916 Posts
I NEED to know WHERE to BUY some of these things ..

coconut oil ? whey powder ? I found agave at foodlion, I am going to look in harris teeter, if its in some grocery store its cheaper for me, ( foodstamps) But I will pay for the whey powder if I HAVE to get it from the healthy food store... Just let me know what else to buy, and where I can buy it .. THANK YOU ~~~

you can get in food lion . right where they sell oil's. Publix too but it more money there. Organic section.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Walmart has whey powder and Coconut Oil. I find the best prices for Coconut Oil online at Amazon, Netrition or Swanson's Vitamins or Vitacost.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts