The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that in my case, with every increase in gas at the pump, there is a ripple effect that means everything else will increase to keep up with the cost of doing business! With that said, has the economy, recession, and runaway inflation caused you to have to make sacrifices in what you need to take care of your diabetes and other medical needs?

I am frustrated with the economy because I have cut back to the point that it is going to start having a toll on my health. So, what say you, and what are you doing to save money to keep your medicine coming in?

By sharing, others may find some new way to make their own ends meet a little better.

Thanks for sharing your ideas on how to make your income stretch to cover everything going on in your life.

Pastor Paul

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
I know that in my case, with every increase in gas at the pump, there is a ripple effect that means everything else will increase to keep up with the cost of doing business! With that said, has the economy, recession, and runaway inflation caused you to have to make sacrifices in what you need to take care of your diabetes and other medical needs?

I am frustrated with the economy because I have cut back to the point that it is going to start having a toll on my health. So, what say you, and what are you doing to save money to keep your medicine coming in?

By sharing, others may find some new way to make their own ends meet a little better.

Thanks for sharing your ideas on how to make your income stretch to cover everything going on in your life.

Pastor Paul
So far, just the increase on food and utilities and gas is the only thing affecting me so far. I am limiting running my errands because of the price of gas. Things will get worse before they get better.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Not all of our members are coping with a sagging economy, recession, and runaway inflation. Plus other countries have for years paid much more for gasoline than we in the USA.

But since you & I are in the same country and the same generation, I'll tell you that I get my meds free. I pay $30-something a month in insurance premiums on my Part D medicare policy and I availed myself of a free state program for seniors which picks up whatever Part D doesn't pay.

Otherwise, I've pinched pennies my whole life, and I don't see myself stopping any time soon. :( It's one reason I live in Missouri backwoods . . . the cost-of-living is lower.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Hubby and I both work and since I'm a bookkeeper, I'm pretty frugal. Our needs have been simple and we've worked really hard at not letting our spending creep up to match our income. I'm really getting nervous about this year though. My medical covers my first 4 office visits up front but then my $1000 deductible kicks in - I need a mammogram (been 10 years and my sister was just diagnosed with breast cancer last week) and a visit to the eye doc as well as my regular visits so I'm gonna go over my 4 for sure. I pay a small portion of my insurance ($50. per month) plus $25 for strips, $20 copay at the doc, all the supplements, and low carb foods ain't cheap. The high medical deductible and my contribution to premiums are new this year... thanks to the new health care - someone's got to pay the cost. It's now costing about $12 a day for gas to get to and from work (86 miles). My dog lost all his platelets in an auto-immune situation and vet bills have been $1,500+ in the last month and probably another $500 before he's cured. We bought our house 18 months ago and we were just beginning to rebuild savings.. the small amount we have is running through my fingers much too fast and things could get ugly. I never counted on the massive expense of this disease. The good news is that we're going into this in better financial condition than I've been in most of my life so we're alot better off than many. Just gotta keep thinking positive.

G

·
well for me it's just a case of everything keeps going up in price... I think it's the same everywhere. My health insurance premium just went up too... I've got basic cover (which doesn't include doc visits, meds and such) and I'm paying $111 per month for that. My regular doc charges $67.50 per visit and I get a rebate of $21 from that through our medicare system. Although I'm thankful that lately he's bulk billing me because it's about the same thing I'm visiting him about. I'm still spending a lot at the pharmacy. Our utilities here have increased quite substantially... especially electricity. The good news is our bananas have dropped to $13 p/kg (just had to mention the bananas. lol). But when I check what I'm spending... a lot of it is on medical stuff really. Our petrol (gas) here has always been more expensive than USA... we're probably used to that.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
For me it is mostly been a matter of trying to group my errands together to cut back on unnecessary driving, and we have been trying to eat more at home instead of out to cut back. I have to admit that I am pretty fortunate to have really good insurance. My doctor visits are a 30 dollar co-pay (that includes any lab work) and my meds are very reasonable. I only pay 5.00 for a 3 month supply of metformin and 90 dollars for a 3 month supply of my insulin and the same for a 3 month supply of pump supplies. My neurontin is somewhere around 30 dollars for a 3 month supply. My testing supplies are at no cost to me. So..I cant really complain :)

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
On the lucky side, I have pretty good health insurance. Prices and co-pays have gone up since last year, but I'm not paying anywhere near full freight.

On the downside, my diagnosis came right on top of repairs for 2 vehicles, skyrocketing gas prices and an onslaught of vet bills -- all in the last 3 weeks. Having to buy new meds, equipment and groceries on top of that, due to a sudden attack of diabetes, was Not Helpful, budgetly speaking.

Food prices have been going up ... up ... UP as well. But on the good side, we should be eating out less now, and eating less altogether.

Compared to too many folks, I have no cause for complaint. But it shouldn't have to be this way ... or worse ... for anyone.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I am in the donut hole of life again and it is only April. It is hard each year to come up with the $5,000 for medications. I am on disability and Medicare.
Being on alot of medications for diabetes and other health issues,
I keep wondering what else I cut from my life.

G

·
I am in the donut hole of life again and it is only April. It is hard each year to come up with the $5,000 for medications. I am on disability and Medicare.
Being on alot of medications for diabetes and other health issues,
I keep wondering what else I cut from my life.
:hug: yes it's definitely harder when you have other health issues on top of diabetes. I tell people I know who only ever buy a panadol now and again for occasional headaches or cold/flu how blessed they are. I also tell people off who hang around me and say "it's Ok I've just got a cold".... well excuse me but that cold if I catch it turns into a month long or more infection.... people don't understand. Since having diabetes I've never just had a cold and got over it in 4 days or so like most people I've had way too many antibiotics in the past 4 years too. My immune system is running low.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Health Insurance GOING Up!

I noticed several of you have seen increases in your health insurance, and you are not alone in that catagorey! I'm in a great HMO, and it used to be extremely inexpensive. I paid $3.00 for doctors appointments for 10 years, then $5.00 for the last 20 years. Now it is $10.00. The thing that increased which hurts is the copay for Rx's Up through last year, it was $5.00 for generic and $10.00 for the name brand. On 1/1/11 it tripled, and I have more than 21 Rx's that have to be refilled every 90 days. I've simply been skimping on several trying to make them go further.

My HMO told its members that the increase was in preperation for the national health care and changes coming down for SS/retirees!

That was a shock to discover, and it hurts my poscketbook, but, what can you do??? :mad:

I think most of us some belt tightening to do if we are going to make it.

·
Registered
299 Posts
My insurance only allows a 30 day supply so I have to pay the co-pay (and waste time and gas going to the pharmacy) every 30 days on each one.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts