The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,
I'm 25 years old, have been diabetic (type 1) for about 6 years. I'm running out of money and I'm wondering, if I eat a low carb diet, how long I can go w/o insulin for? Will I die? I spent 2 of those 6 years doing little but heroin (diabetic needles made it convenient), so I didn't use to eat much.
I don't have money for a doctor or for the good insulin (RX + $100 vial of lantis, humlog, etc).
Any advice?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hi there,
I'm 25 years old, have been diabetic (type 1) for about 6 years. I'm running out of money and I'm wondering, if I eat a low carb diet, how long I can go w/o insulin for? Will I die? I spent 2 of those 6 years doing little but heroin (diabetic needles made it convenient), so I didn't use to eat much.
I don't have money for a doctor or for the good insulin (RX + $100 vial of lantis, humlog, etc).
Any advice?
I just realized my profile says diagnosed in 2009, but I can't change it for some reason. :mad:

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
A type 1 will die without insulin. Even eating low-carb doesn't help if your pancreas makes no insulin at all, and even if it makes a little bit, it isn't enough for your body's needs.

But insulin can be purchased at Walmart for lots less money. It isn't the prescription brands like Lantus & Humalog, etc. but you could get by I think. There are others here with so much more experience who can explain what it is and how it's used. I'm sure they'll check in soon. Stand by, okay, tester?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I went about a year and a half using that wal-mart **** and I would find myself on an almost near-death low about three times a week.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
As Shanny said if you are a Type 1 you need insulin to live. By incoperating a low carb diet you could maybe lessen the amount of insulin you need to take. Have you contacted the insulin companies to see if you qualify for free or reduced price insulin. I know the Walmart R and N insulin is not perfect but it is better than nothing. If you were getting too many lows , you need to work with your medical team and learn how to match your insulin to the carbs in your food. Different insulins have different reaction times and you need to be aware of the differences.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Testerz welcome to the forum :typing:

I also am an insulin user. While I am a T2 my insulin is 'low' and to an extent am insulin resistant although not so much as some. You will need insulin as a T1. I believe you can minimize the amount needed by watching carb intake. Later next year I'll lose my COBRA insurance and be without for about a year, till age 65, so I have been looking at ways to "get by".
Your experience with the Walmart brands holds with what others have indicated. However in reading at least one poster (another forum) has worked well with it by using lower amounts spaced out over the day. In other words rather than 25 units insulin, they'd inject twice, once with 15 and later with 10. It did supposedly work for them - YMMV.
Here is a link to info on different insulin's, mostly US Insulin Chart > About Insulin > Insulin > Everything Diabetes

·
Registered
198 Posts
I am a type 2 diabetic. I was diagnosed this month. I do not have insurance and in my town I qualified to meet with a low income no insurance doctor. Check and see if they have this in your town. I do not take shots but I have pills. Mine was on a list of $4 meds at Wal Mart. They have a list of low price meds. Check and see if your insulin is low priced at Wal Mart. It is worth a shot. Good luck!

G

·
Have you check Needymeds dot com ?

They can usually help you contact that manufacturers and get things like insulin and testing supplies for free.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts