The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been diagnosed T1 now for a couple of months. I'm trying to fine tune my routine to achieve the best control possible, and have been recently having bouts of low BG soon after meals. Generally, I bolus at the start of a meal, but sometimes, this results in a low that must be treated, followed by a high a couple hours later. My diabetes educator suggested that high fat content may be delaying my carb absorption and causing this behavior. I suspect that the culprit is the overall glycemic index of the meal, as opposed to fat content. Some high fat meals are no issue at all. Has anyone else experienced this? If so, how is it best managed?

Also, how low is TOO low? I have the dexcom, and generally treat if I reach 70 and am trending lower. I've been in the low 50s several several times and typically have no symptoms at all. I'm assuming that I'd get some kind of warning before passing out right? I live alone so I am particularly concerned with the lows.

Age 33 T1 06.13.11
Humalog ~17 units/day
No Basal Required(yet)
Dexcom 7
OmniPod soon
ha1c 7.1 (down from 12.5)

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
I get concerned when I go below 70. At 70-75 I just snack on something from my normal diabetic diet.

But I believe 60 is officially low. I treat at 65 (which has only happened a couple of times). Below 60 is waaaayyyy low.

Some folks never get a warning, so treating at 70 may be wisest for you, unless you consistently spike afterward. In that case, you might consider a snack, rather than glucose or sweets.

I use both basal and rapid, so am not sure what would be best with rapid only. I do know that some folks split the boluses and take half before and the second half after meals.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Thats an interesting question. I have had lows that doctors have said should have killed me and felt like they did kill me. 60's are hardly worth getting excited for me. 50's are a simple fix with 5 grams of sugar. 40's require a little more thought, maybe even a little O.J.. The 30's I might feel a little different but not much. The 20's are getting into that serious range for me. Thats when I will start serious action as it is when I hit the low 20's that everything will start to go black. Now on the subject of glycimic index the answer is yes it does matter and does effect how and when toy will want to take your insulin.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts