The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been diagnosed T1 now for a couple of months. I'm trying to fine tune my routine to achieve the best control possible, and have been recently having bouts of low BG soon after meals. Generally, I bolus at the start of a meal, but sometimes, this results in a low that must be treated, followed by a high a couple hours later. My diabetes educator suggested that high fat content may be delaying my carb absorption and causing this behavior. I suspect that the culprit is the overall glycemic index of the meal, as opposed to fat content. Some high fat meals are no issue at all. Has anyone else experienced this? If so, how is it best managed?

Also, how low is TOO low? I have the dexcom, and generally treat if I reach 70 and am trending lower. I've been in the low 50s several several times and typically have no symptoms at all. I'm assuming that I'd get some kind of warning before passing out right? I live alone so I am particularly concerned with the lows.

Age 33 T1 06.13.11
Humalog ~17 units/day
No Basal Required(yet)
Dexcom 7
OmniPod soon
ha1c 7.1 (down from 12.5)

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.