The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
My liver will secrete more glucose into my system very shortly after a 4.3 (77).

For the most part I never go 'hypo' ... The lowest reading I've seen for me is a 3.7 (67) which came after a very long, hard, 2hr spin-bike ride. At that point I was so weak and shaky I actually needed one of my kid's help to get from the bike to the couch. I also had tunnel-vision. My BG didn't go up until an OJ/Banana smoothie kicked in... That's when I realized I need more fuel for long rides...

·
Registered
259 Posts
anything less than 100 (5.5) and I get "the feeling"

·
Registered
165 Posts
I have gone down to the 30s (not sure what translate to in australian #s) I usually don't feel low until I hit the 50s

·
Registered
40 Posts
I have gone down to the 30s (not sure what translate to in australian #s) I usually don't feel low until I hit the 50s
1 mmol/l ~ 18 mg/dl so your 30 would make about 1,7mmol/l (get off your damn weird units and start using the international ones! lol, just joking)

Remember that the bar is determined by your lifestyle. During summer I can feel fine up till I reach ~2.5 and during a very bad month (no time etc. where my controll goes out of whack for a while) I can start feeling it anywhere from 4 to 5.

The higher your regular bsl the higher will it be when you start to feel your hypo. But if you stay too often in the 3.5-5 line you are puting yourself in danger since you will most likely not feel a low until it's too late (actually a low that has to be treated is under 4 and 3.3 is NOT and I repeat NOT a good reading. Neither is 3.7 or 3.8.

Remember than a constant higher BG (arround 10) is a whole lot less dangerous than a constant ~4 or a swaying (from 5 to 12 back and forth).

·
Registered
62 Posts
I begin to feel it below 70, which I think is about 3.8. By 55 or so (3.05) I'm usually shaky. I have registered as low as 33 (1.8) on my meter. Not fun ...

·
Registered
710 Posts
Around 60 (3.3) I can tell I need to pay attention. If it's a hard fall I feel it earlier.

Jen

(good to see you post Barrie!)

·
Registered
62 Posts
@Jen, thanks! I've been "out of it" a bit with some non-D related medical issues.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Below 65 and I began to feel it... Start that shaky feeling....:(

bugg:pWho's got that shaky feeling...?

·
Registered
66 Posts
I felt it @ 83, I didn't waste no time eating right then and there.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
I have hypounawareness and I don't know when I am low. The last time the medic was here my blood sugar was 29 and I had no strength to get out of bed.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Most of the time I start to feel it when I hit 70 or below... but there has be many time that I didn't start to feel low until in was already in the 50s.

·
Anti-Man Made Carbs!
1,891 Posts
under 60 id say

G

·
for me it's <4.5 usually. My endo advised me to stay above 5... but in the mornings I can be sitting in the 4 range and feel fine... whereas if I'm sitting in the 4 range during the day I may not feel the same way. I think it must have to do with how much energy your body needs at the time? I can definitely feel when I'm in the 4 range... start feeling zapped of energy and then it's not long before I start getting shakes & all when I start hitting the low 4's. I've been as low as 3.7 several times. I'm not a fan of hypos and I do my best to avoid them. So for me I think my endo is probably right in that I should try and stay at 5 or above to be on the safe side. I do notice when the BGLs drop, they drop very quick.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I start to feel it at about 60. I get that drained feeling and my thoughts seem a bit hazy. Nothing too serious, but I can usually tell :)

·
Registered
718 Posts
Under 65....start feeling jittery, dizzy and my mouth doesn't want to work right LOL.

·
Registered
633 Posts
If we are talking when they start the answer is that every hypo starts at 70 for everyone. Now if we are talking when you feel it well thats different for everyone. I never do feel it I just wake up plugged into an IV and strangers asking me wierd qustions like who is the president.

G

·
Under 65....start feeling jittery, dizzy and my mouth doesn't want to work right LOL.
yeah my mouth hasn't worked right several times too.... slurred speech which actually is quite scary... people think I'm drunk. I read somewhere where that is one of the dangerous symptoms where you're close to going unconscious.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts