44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello there,

If I order a meal of a medium sized plate containing:

1) Basmati Rice
2) Shrimps
3) Crabs
4) Carribean Sauce

How many carbohydrates would that contain? I take one unit per 10 carbs.

Thank you.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Hello there,

If I order a meal of a medium sized plate containing:

1) Basmati Rice
2) Shrimps
3) Crabs
4) Carribean Sauce

How many carbohydrates would that contain? I take one unit per 10 carbs.

Thank you.
... depends on how much rice.

Depending on who you want to believe, there are roughly 25-35g of carbohydrate per each HALF cup of cooked basmati rice. It's very-high-carb.

Shrimp and Crab have no carbs (unless the shrimp is breaded...)

The sauce will depend upon the amount of sugars in it... It could be anywhere from 3-5g per tablespoon...

Reactions: TarekElsakka

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I made some research and narrowed down some results:

Basmati Rice: around 70g of carbs
Shrimps: 6 - 8 shrimps = 45 - 50g of carbs
Crabs = 0g of carbs ????

Carribean Sauce is on the side so there's no need for it anyway.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your reply. The shrimps aren't breaded, so I guess I'm safe from that. The results I came up with were about breaded shrimps.

So it's, let's say, 70 - 90g of carbohydrates for the basmati rice. I can roll with that.

Thanks a lot.

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts
So it's, let's say, 70 - 90g of carbohydrates for the basmati rice. I can roll with that.
Ah, have the rice on behalf of all us type 2s who can't ... I remember rice so fondly :)

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm sorry about that. To be honest with you, I'm not a fan of rice at all, but I don't like to feel hungry and chained, if you know what I mean. I love pasta, though.

·
Registered
8,795 Posts
I can't answer that, but I'd cut the rice out and unless the sauce contains a good bit of sweetener or thickener, you should be safe. Basmati rice contains about 35 carbs for a 1/4 c. uncooked measure. I personally don't try rice in my diet.

Good luck,

·
Registered
8,795 Posts
I understand your comment about not wanting to feel hungry, but in my experience, carbs make me hungry and fats and protein do not. I finally figured that out and I rarely eat more than 30 carbs a day.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
First off, thanks for replying.

Which foods would you recommend that would give me the fullness factor and in the same time have a very low amount of carbs? If I can maintain a 50 - 70 carbs a day diet, I'll be more than happy and my A1C will turn out a lot better. I don't even mind eating the same kind of food every day as long as it gives me the fullness factor and actually tastes good.

By the way, I'm thinking of only eating breakfast and lunch and just eating a very small snack for dinner before I sleep? I heard that you gain weight the most by what you eat before you sleep.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
If you like seafood, go for it! Fish & seafood are great for diabetic diets if they aren't breaded. Meat/poultry/fish/cheese/eggs . . . they all wonder foods for the diabetic diet & you won't need as much insulin to cover them. Do you take most of your meals out, Tarek?

As Pat said, protein & fats will fill you up & keep your BG down. I have not the remotest idea what vegetables are common in Cairo, but any of the high fiber ones would be a good replacement for the rice. I use artichokes, asparagus, cabbage, cauliflower, broccoli, spinach, rhubarb, avocado, eggplant, etc. Dress them up with butter or sauces like hollandaise or cheese. Fats are not an issue here, because they do not raise BG, so gp ahead & enjoy them.

I know little about type 1, but I think skipping a meal is not a good idea. You won't be gaining weight on these foods anyhow - not even the fats.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
I ended up eating the crabs and the shrimps and leaving out the rice. Also ate some soft brown bread to complete the meal, then drank two cups of water. Feels light and good!

@Shanny, that's great. We actually have all of those vegetables available here. Egypt is very rich in vegetables and fruits, actually. I like most of them except for spinach and broccoli. I thought butter contained sugars, though? Or only fats?

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
Yeah! :( Especially Basmati. I ate it nearly every day for over 30 years cooked with coconut milk swahili-style. No more.

Ah, have the rice on behalf of all us type 2s who can't ... I remember rice so fondly :)

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
Hey, have you checked out that bread they have in just about every bakery in Cairo? I'm talking about the darkish brown on which looks like an inflated flatbread and is crispy like a cracker. I asked the baker what it was and he said it was "special" bread for people on a "diet". Maybe it's low-carb bread? That would be wonderful. I wasn't there long enough to find out exactly what it is. I was in New Cairo near the Panorama, but I think they have it everywhere.

Butter is free food, as are virtually all fats. They will fill you like nothing else and have no impact on blood sugar. When I was in Cairo, I used to get Ful beans from the take-out and request butter as the topping. When they put butter, they don't mess around! It must have been at least two tablespoons. Anyway, even though the ful is pretty high-carb I got away with it because of all that butter. I wouldn't try anything more than the "small" size, though!

Oh, and be sure to get some of the farm-fresh milk, boil it and skim off the cream (ishta) - just make sure you give the milk to someone else! If that cracker-bread is really low-carb, you could scoop up the cream with it!

My son-in-law's mother (she's from Shabeen) used to make me a wonderful soup with zucchini and some fatty cuts of beef. She also made me regular grape-leaves (mah-shy) but just left out the rice. Great low-carb treats.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yes, I know that bread, and I eat it with diet cheese sometimes. It's pretty great but it's also very hard to eat and I don't have great teeth so.. I don't really eat it as much as I'd like to.

By the way, Mah-shy is a really popular meal here in Egypt, as you already know, but it doesn't taste nearly as good without the rice, lol. But with the rice, it's REALLY heavy and requires a lot of insulin units, so that was a wise choice from her.

Thanks for the reply, mate.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
@Shanny, that's great. We actually have all of those vegetables available here. Egypt is very rich in vegetables and fruits, actually. I like most of them except for spinach and broccoli. I thought butter contained sugars, though? Or only fats?
Only fats - the dairy butter I use has salt added, but no sugars & it's great for gaining that feeling of satiety & staving off hunger pangs.

Do you do any cooking at all? You prob'ly don't have much time for that, eh?

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Which foods would you recommend that would give me the fullness factor and in the same time have a very low amount of carbs?
Any foods with a higher fat and protein content will help with satiety (fullness), especially fat.

By the way, I'm thinking of only eating breakfast and lunch and just eating a very small snack for dinner before I sleep? I heard that you gain weight the most by what you eat before you sleep.
For most of us our metabolism does slow during the night - as such it is better to have smaller meals - and certainly smaller amounts of carbohydrate - in the evening vs. during the rest of the day.

However, if you are affected by liver dumps/dawn phenomenon - that may not work for you. We are ALL different, so testing is important. For me I eat similar amounts of calories and carb/protein/fat in my 3 main meals, and I also eat two or three snacks per day that are slightly smaller than my main meals... and yes, I eat less carbohydrate at night - but still eat some carbs - though only 10-15g in my late-night snack... That seems to work best for me.

The important thing is to find out what works best for you, so it's good you're experimenting. :) That way you'll find out and be healthier in the long run!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts