The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This question must have been asked many times... but I just can't find the answer.

I'm very fond of Indian food and cook it quite often (from scratch). I was wondering how to figure out how many carbs in a recipe. What would be the best way and/or tool to do so? Maybe a website? Any help is welcomed!!!

Thank you so much for all your help! :eek:

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
The software I use to determine nutritional values is NutritionData.com. It has a large database, but it also allows you to make custom entries, which I have done for many of the things I use which aren't in the database - just copy in the label information and it will save it for future inclusion in other calculations.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
I think the rules are the same

For us LCHF WoE followers the following things are challenges

1. Rice
2. Rotis and other Indian breads
3. Beans (Kidney, Chickpeas etc) and Lentils (these form a major part of the Indian Veg diet). These have a decent amount of protein and fiber so I would still have lentils but limit them to one small bowl at max
4. No potatoes, peas, carrots, turnips etc

But the good thing is that

1. Indian vegetable dishes can be cooked in so many tasty ways that one does not get bored.

2. Paneer dishes (Indian cottage cheese) like palak paneer, kadai paneer are normally low carb unless cooked in sweet/cashew nut sauces. Indian cottage cheese (Paneer) usually has 2-4 carbs per 100 gm and I consider this pretty low carb for a dinner / lunch

3. Chicken/meat/fish dishes are also safe. Tandoori chicken is awesome though a piece may have small amounts of yogurt from the marination. Butter chicken may have some sweet tomatoes sauces but by cooking at home you can avoid most of that.

By the way these are mostly North Indian kind of dishes. There are very different cuisines in the Mountain regions, East and Far East regions, South Indian states. Infact each state has a distinctly different cuisine. It makes you feel you are in a different country (in terms of food)

Why don't you tell me the dishes you prepare ? I can then tell you more about each of them.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
What would be the best way and/or tool to do so? :eek:
The best way is to measure each thing you put in and get a carb readings for each ingredient. I've been doing that.

It's like this - if you add one spoon of flour in white sauce instead of cheese the carb count can go badly wrong !

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I make curries all the time and they are very bg friendly. Just avoid the obvious foods like potatoes, bread and of course rice and you'll be fine. When I go out to eat Indian I always order a chicken dish and an eggplant dish and bgs are usually in the high 80's. Much better than other meals.

Reactions: 1970clea

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks everyone! :)

I make my own curry paste, classic chicken curry, egg curry, meatball curry, lamb brochettes, blond tandoori chicken and my own personal favorite chicken with mustard seeds to name just those. My all time favorite book is : 'Indian Every Day - Light, healthy Indian Food' by Anjum Anand from which I take most of my recipes. Next book I'm getting is her 'New Indian' :hungry:

I love rice. I could eat it 3 times a day! Of course I stay away now. :eek:hwell:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts