The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I was recently put onto category of “Pre-diabetes”. My fasting glucose level was 6.7 mmol/L and OGTT 2 hours after was 8.4 mmol/L. Not sure how bad it is ? Do I need to go on Medications or by changing lifestyle I could bring it back to normal range. My BMI is 24.6 & my lipid profile is normal.

Thanks in advance
Geoff

G

·
Hi all,

I was recently put onto category of “Pre-diabetes”. My fasting glucose level was 6.7 mmol/L and OGTT 2 hours after was 8.4 mmol/L. Not sure how bad it is ? Do I need to go on Medications or by changing lifestyle I could bring it back to normal range. My BMI is 24.6 & my lipid profile is normal.

Thanks in advance
Geoff
It's not really that bad, but it could be better.

Your 6.7 mmol/L is 6.7 X 18 = 120.60 mg/dl to us yanks, and that for a fasting BG is right on top of normal, which is 120 mg/dl. My doctor wants mine at 100 fasting.

your 8.4 mmol/L 2 hours after a meal is 8.4 X 18 = 151.20 mg/dl, and that is fairly normal. You want between 140 - 170, depending on who you listen to. My endo wants mine at 140.

If by changing life styles, you mean eating better, and getting exercise, then yes. Both could bring your BG down. Eat less carbs, like white bread, pasta, and rice, or potato's just to name a few and learn to read labels. Carbohydrates (sugar) are listed there. I could get in trouble for this, but your body needs just 120gr per day of carbs. Some people try and eat less, and would choke when I tell you that you need at least 120gr, and some more. I had a dietitian once tell my wife that I should eat 225gr per day. The 120 gr comes from my health care professionals. As far as exercise goes, just walking, or running should do.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts