Diabetes Forum banner
  • Welcome! Are you ready to join the discussions? Click here!

How Much Insulin Do You Take???

29K views 42 replies 31 participants last post by  timmy 
#1 ·
I would like to get an idea of how much insulin different folks use on an average day This question includes both fast acting and long lasting insulins.

I use 22 units at breakfast; 4 to 6 with lunch; 24 with dinner; and 74 units of Lantus at bedtime! My A1C's are in the mid-five range.

Of course, depending on what I have for a meal, those numbers will go either up, or down!

So, what say you?

Have a great day, and a long, happy life! And please refrain from lecturing others for their answers, as no one truly knows the circumstances facing each individual.

Pastor Paul

#2 ·
at the moment I take a split dose of lantus of 30mml morning and evening...and 5mmls of novorapid with each meal...

G
#3 ·
good question Paul... everyone is bound to give you a different answer. lol. Well for me I'm just about to reduce my basal insulin down to 12 units.... for bolus I take 7 units for b/fast, 11 for lunch, 12 for dinner. Lunch lately I'm starting to adjust as I seem to get my worst BGL mostly in the afternoons. Also I had a chat with my diabetes clinic today and they have recommended that if you get regular hypos from your basal that it's best to bump it down 4 units minimum and then work your way up (rather than work your way down)... I didn't know that one. They've recorded it so my endo knows where I'm at. The first response I got today when they found out how many hypos I've been having lately was "do you know you can die?"... um, goodness that is just a charming reminder there. lol. Basically they reminded me that it's safer to go a bit too high than too low. Also of interest was they told me that because it's been hot here and now it's suddenly cold that your body actually stresses more with heat and your BGLs naturally go higher... now it's cold it's not heat stressed and BGLs drop.... makes sense I guess. So at the moment I'm in the process of finding out the right basal dosage I need... may take a couple of weeks or something to get the balance right. :D

#4 ·
I've finally levelled out on my insulin dosages the past couple of weeks, now only 7 weeks since diagnosis. My lantus is at 28 units in the morning, and I have apidra at breakfast (5 units), lunch (4 units), and dinner (3 units). I was a bit higher a few weeks ago (32/6/5/4), but I think the CPAP machine I got recently has helped a bit. Still a while to go before I recheck my a1c, but my glucose has been in the high 5s/low 6s most of the time the last few weeks with the odd minor spike as I figure out diet.

#6 ·
righteousdude2 said:
I would like to get an idea of how much insulin different folks use on an average day This question includes both fast acting and long lasting insulins.

I use 22 units at breakfast; 4 to 6 with lunch; 24 with dinner; and 74 units of Lantus at bedtime! My A1C's are in the mid-five range.

Of course, depending on what I have for a meal, those numbers will go either up, or down!

So, what say you?

Have a great day, and a long, happy life! And please refrain from lecturing others for their answers, as no one truly knows the circumstances facing each individual.

Pastor Paul
Hi Paul. What is your carb-insulin ratio?

Cheers,

Jeremy

#8 ·
Lantus 18 u a.m. and 28 u p.m.

#9 ·
60 units of Lantus at bedtime (10pm)
anywhere from 5 to 15 units of Humalog before each meal depending on what my pre-meal BGL is, and how many carbs I plan on eating.

#10 · (Edited)
15u of NPH (basal) in the morning, and 14u in the evening, plus boluses as needed (either rapid or regular, depending on the situation).

Right now, I need 4u of rapid/regular bolus insulin per 15g carbs. But I try to avoid the necessity, because I try to minimize insulin use as much as possible. So, on good days I don't bolus at all, and on bad days it's around 12u, altogether.

#11 ·
Currently 18 u of levemir at bedtime and 4-6 u of humalog when needed...which is not often

#13 ·
New user insulin

i am new on this Forum and started Insulin just 10days before My sugar,Type 2 is 2years old.The doctor started with 10units of slow actibg Insulin but with thid my glucose level in blood gone to 3.1 so they advised me to use 8 units but now problem is when i take insuline at about 9pm,then during sleep i am fully Sweat.the nurse advised me to use 4units than 8 but sweating in sleep is still there.
I know nothing about Insuline use as being aNEW,please GUIDE me and give me information over Insuline.I am also taking 4tabs of metformen.Thanks in Anticipation

#19 ·
My body is really crazy nowadays.
In the morning I take 8 i.e.u Insulatard and 2 i.e.u. NovoRapid. My bloodsugar will then rise for the next hour tegardless if I eat or not.:eek:
I eat 6 meal during the day.
1 to 3 i.e.u. NovoRapid is set one hour before breakfast, lunch and dinner. But my bloodsugar rises for one hour and then it drops like a rock.
My three other meals never contains more than 4 carbs, and I don`t use insulin before those meal.
In the night my bloodsugar is low (about 4) and I don`t use Insulatard at that time because it will make me hypo all the way down to 2,3.
They say I`m in the end of the honeymoon......

#24 ·
17u of levemir at night and 3-5 u of humalog when needed at meals

#26 ·
Prior to going on a pump, I was taking 14 units of Lantus in evening and 1:15 insulin/carb ratio for meals. However, since I have switched to using a pump, I required much less insulin ... Example, I used 12 units total in the last 24 hours. My numbers are running a bit higher lately, and I feel my body is going through some changes which may require some tweaking of the evening basal...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.