The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Administrator
Type 2
2,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
lancet.jpg

How often do you change the lancet in your lancing device?

Okay, tell the truth now, when is the last time you changed it. :wink2:

·
Super Moderator
9,611 Posts
3 days ago, because I had an infection on a sore on my thumb that obviously had puss in it. The sewing needle was too dull and we tried my BG finger sticker. I actually changed it before and after I successfully used on my thumb.

It had probably been 3 months since I changed it last time.

Reactions: skypeace

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
When I first started back in May, I was changing lancets every time I checked my sugar. I was going through lancets like crazy. I now change once a week (Sun) to start a new week.

·
Super Moderator
1,827 Posts
I was using mine once and then them tossing until I read (probably on this site) that that wasn't necessary. So now I change my lancet with every vial of strips (50).

I figure it's kind of like a knife -- you don't realize the knife is dull because it dulls very slowly over a good period of time. Sharpen the knife and you'll be amazed at how cleanly it cuts. (Besides, back when I was using several a day, I bought a huge supply. So I might as well use them up. lol)

Reactions: JimT

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
I like the every vial of strips trick. I tend to let them go until I notice they're getting dull, which means many many months. I'm going to start doing Steve's trick--kinda like changing the battery in a smoke alarm on a regular schedule.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Every Time (almost)

I change my lancet every time I test. The one exception is if I mess up the test (not enough blood, or apply before meter is ready) I just use the same lancet again.

I do use Accu-chek fastclix so it is really easy to change to a new lancet.

·
Premium Member
9,421 Posts
I bought a box of 100 lancets 6+ years ago. It's not even half used up. Although I did buy another brand of lancets of 50 last year - they are supposed to be a finer needle. I've used about 5 of them so far. Can't say I can tell the difference - or maybe my fingers have toughened up.

·
Registered
789 Posts
I change when suddenly it seems like i need to dial up a bit more. Maybe 3 monthly? I've never got an infection from it... but its always possible that it will happen.

·
Super Moderator
1,827 Posts
I also no longer use alcohol wipes, but I do wash and dry my hands first.
I use wipes when I cannot easily wash my hands. But I strongly suspect the alcohol (or something else on the wipes) leaves a residue that pushes up the number on the meter.

I haven't tried alcohol-vs-soap'n'water enough times to satisfy myself on this, but the random alcohol prep almost always gives me a number that's out of whack.

·
Super Moderator
9,611 Posts
It probably was a good idea to use alcohol years ago when the doctors office used to use a razor blade type lancing device to actually cut your finger tip.

I had an event the other day where I changed out a couple of lancets because they wouldn't stay seated in the lancing device. Third one has been in place for over a week and if it stays there I may not change again the rest of the year.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts