The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm just curious. Does anyone out their change their meter batteries proactively (that is, before the meter actually dies)?

Could a battery be low enough to cause erratic results long before it finally dies?

Just curious.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
My meter has a battery meter :) I change it when it says to. I assume the meter (battery) knows what kind of shape the battery is in.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
I use an insulin pump, so my pump will alarm when the battery is low, and will also let me know when the battery is low in my meter. I pretty much change the battery when it tells me its low.

·
Inactive Member
5,318 Posts
Most meters have some diet of Low Battery Indicator. It could be a symbol, a code, or a flashing icon. These usually show up before the battery gets too low. When it's too low the accuracy is severely degraded since the battery no longer is able to provide the proper amount of voltage/current to the strip.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Most meters have some diet of Low Battery Indicator. It could be a symbol, a code, or a flashing icon. These usually show up before the battery gets too low.
That's the part I was wondering about: Do they really warn you enough ahead of time, or does the battery get too low before you get a warning?

·
Inactive Member
5,318 Posts
That's the part I was wondering about: Do they really warn you enough ahead of time, or does the battery get too low before you get a warning?
Depends on the meter. Best answer is check your manual. Not much of an answer I know. I know some will just not work when it's too low, other show an error code that you can't bypass. Just depends.

·
Premium Member
9,421 Posts
I've had the same meter for 2 years and only just now does it show an indication of a low batter, and ONLY if I turn on the light (shows a battery icon). I'm trying to remember to contact the mnf. because they will send me a free battery.

In the meantime, I'm not turning on the light, and the numbers are where I expect them to be.

(got to give them a call TODAY!)

·
Super Moderator
9,623 Posts
My original meter, Contour, has been my backup for over a year. It was my main meter for about a year and a half. It was last used in November with no issue. BH tried to use it last week but it had a low battery warning and it would power down and not allow use. First time the batteries replaced in it. Main meter now is Contour USB Rechargable. Both Bayer brand and use the same strips.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts