The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased some Extend bars and the label said that it has 1 gram of net carbs. There is 150 calories per bar, 21 total carbs, 5 grams of fiber, 0 sugar, 6 grams sugar alcohol, 11 grams protein, 1 gram saturated fat. I need to know how to figure out how much insulin to take to cover this. The bar says this it is a low glycemic index and food and it helps to control blood sugar for up to 9 hours. I am trying to cut my carb intake by 1/2. I will be trying out some new foods to help me to cut my carb intake. Also, what is the best type of protein to eat? I can not drink milk because of lactose problems. I will be needing to add some food for snacks but it can not be carbs. I do not like many vegetables. I only eat green beans, salad and V-8 juice. I can eat cheese, cottage cheese and chicken, turkey, lean beef. I do not like any kind of fish. I am trying to keep my calories at 1400 per day. This is going to be a balancing act. I have been to diabetes self management classes and know some things about nutrition. A new type of eating will bring many challenges and also change my insulin requirements and IC ratio. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
I think the labels might be a little misleading on this, but perhaps Richard or another insulin user will come around to correct me if I'm wrong.

My calculation is to deduct the fiber from the total carbs and count the remainder. There are certain sugar alcohols that still spike some of us, and even though these marketing guys have deducted all of those too, I'm not sure we can trust their figures. I would be counting this bar as 16 carbs.

Almond milk is not a bad substitute for milk, and others I've talked with say Hood's Calorie Countdown is an excellent substitute. I've not been able to find Hoods around here yet, but I've tried almond milk and it's good. I've found a few good recipes lately & I'll get those posted for you if I can get in gear today. I cooked a rump roast the other day that's got us salivating over here . . . I have a little kitchen slicer so I can slice it wafer-thin, and it's just wonderful in a stir-fry or a wrap (which btw, I've found a tortilla that has 5g carbs & 12g fiber . . . and it isn't like eating grass! heheh It looks & tastes just like a regular flour tortilla! The brand is Olé Xtreme Wellness high fiber/low carb tortilla)

We can do this, Breeze . . . I've been taking in around 1200-1500 calories lately & usually around 50g carbs. I hope we can help each other out on this.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts