The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been searching everywhere for answers about how to cover net carbs with insulin. I want to try Dreamfields pasta tonight, but not sure how to cover the carbs. :noidea:

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Hi Breeze, I know you use Novolog and carb counting. Why should this pasta be any different than other foods? Is it because you are not used to eating pasta for a long time? I need 1 unit for every 6 carbs in my meal, or snack. What is your carb ratio?

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
I have been searching everywhere for answers about how to cover net carbs with insulin. I want to try Dreamfields pasta tonight, but not sure how to cover the carbs. :noidea:
Dont know...I never use net carbs. I just go by total carb count. So far it hasnt over corrected me too much, but you tend to run lower than I do.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
And Dreamfields is a different ballgame too, isn't it? . . . with most of its carbs undigestible as long as it isn't overcooked. At least that's how it affects me as an NIDD. I never get a spike from Dreamfields.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I guess you still need to cover the carbs? I have never eaten Dreamsfield pasta and the actual carbs and net carbs is such a huge difference. What is the benefit of eating a special pasta? This pasta is full of undigestable carbs. Would that be a problem with gastroparesis? I don't eat pasta that often, it has a poor track record with blood sugar.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Breeze, I know you use Novolog and carb counting. Why should this pasta be any different than other foods? Is it because you are not used to eating pasta for a long time? I need 1 unit for every 6 carbs in my meal, or snack. What is your carb ratio?
Hi Richard, my am carb ratio is 1:4 and my pm carb ratio is 1:5.
I was hoping you would answer my post!:)

·
Registered
148 Posts
Dont know...I never use net carbs. I just go by total carb count. So far it hasnt over corrected me too much, but you tend to run lower than I do.
I remember that question was raised in the classes I took at diagnosis. They said to always go by total carbs. I don't know why some manufacturers have net and total listed on nutrition guides, unless to make the fda happy or something.

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
If a serving of some food has 24 total carbs, but there are 5 "undigestable" carbs, then the net carbs is 24 - 5 = 19. If the undigestable carbs do not raise your BG then you bolus for the net carbs. If the undigestable carbs do raise your BG then you bolus for the total carbs.

I have found that when I subtract the number of fiber carbs for a serving of a food containing fiber, my BG is higher than if I bolus for the fiber carbs. So I bolus for the total carbs when I eat food containing fiber. I have read many people saying they do not bolus for fiber carbs, it makes them go too low. I suppose it is just another case of different strokes for different folks.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you for your responses, this all makes sense. I guess at little trial and error is necessary.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts