The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As you can see below in my signature, I am taking quite a few medication, even though many of you have more but it is more than I ever took in my life and it's overwhelming.

Besides having to watch my BGL and diet, I am on blood pressure medicine, anxiety and anti depressants. It's simply overwhelming.

Any ideas how to better deal with it? And does anyone know if you can have fall backs (or go back into depression) even if you're taking your anti depressants?

G

·
Hi Rocky :) I can't really answer about the depression part... but I hear ya re: lots of pills as I'm always popping something. At the moment I'm taking 5 medication types.... and then my insulin on top of that. Actually a colleague at work today asked me how I cope with injections and testing all the time... they figure that in itself must be hard work. They were asking me as they were complaining about having to take antibiotics for their chest infection.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I only take Metformin for my diabetes. But I do take tons of supplements like CoQ10, Vit D, Calcium, Melatonin, B 12 and occasionaly Potassium and Magnesium if I get run down. I use pill reminder boxes to help me remember, especially the Metformin since I take that 3 times a day. Before I did that I was forgetting often.

Reactions: RockyXX

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
I have 3 week-long pill boxes. Once a week I set up all my pills into them, and I can tell when I have or have not taken them, with a minimum of effort. At the same time, I can evaluate when I need prescription refills, including test strips and insulin.

One is for morning, one is for bedtime, and one is for my lipid supplements, which I take at both times.

Plan ahead, and keep it simple. It does look like a lot, and it really grosses me out when the recorded phone system says, "You have SIX prescriptions to pick up at ... " AUGH. My mother died at age 86, on only 3 meds ... not for D.

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts
I do the same as Linda - pill organizer boxes - one for morning & one for night.
Me too. And lately they let me know that I've forgotten a dose. I don't know why I do this. I am vigilant about diet, logging on here, upping exercise ... and yet I have this awful tendency to forget my med.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Me too. And lately they let me know that I've forgotten a dose. I don't know why I do this. I am vigilant about diet, logging on here, upping exercise ... and yet I have this awful tendency to forget my med.
My doc switched my Lantus from taking it in the morning to taking at bedtime and it totally threw me for a loop! I ended up setting the alarm on my phone to go off at 10pm each night to remind me to take my Lantus. It has helped a lot!

·
Registered
83 Posts
And does anyone know if you can have fall backs (or go back into depression) even if you're taking your anti depressants?
Yes, you can still be depressed or fall back into depression while being on anti-depressants. I took Effexor for years and still fell into a deep depression while taking it. If this happens, your doctor may want to adjust your dose or add yet another med. When they raised my dose, I got worse... and the doc kinda got me all screwed up while trying to find what would work for me. I actually decided I didn't feel any better on the anit-depressants and got off of them completely (under a doctor's supervision), and I don't think I will ever go back to them. But what works for me may not work for anyone else. Best thing to do is talk to your doc about it.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes, you can still be depressed or fall back into depression while being on anti-depressants. I took Effexor for years and still fell into a deep depression while taking it. If this happens, your doctor may want to adjust your dose or add yet another med. When they raised my dose, I got worse... and the doc kinda got me all screwed up while trying to find what would work for me. I actually decided I didn't feel any better on the anit-depressants and got off of them completely (under a doctor's supervision), and I don't think I will ever go back to them. But what works for me may not work for anyone else. Best thing to do is talk to your doc about it.

Interesting that you mention that because I thought that once you are on an anti depressant that seems to work for you will stay your friend. I didn't know that anti depressant can turn their backs on you and make you feel depressed again. I took wellbutrin and it was horrible. Now im taking Celexa, starting today. See how that will work out.

You think even 8 months after being on anti depressants you can have fall backs or is it just in the beginning? Can it happen ANY TIME?

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
I was on fluoxetine for years, but on my last doctor visit, he switched me to venlafaxine. The jury is still out since it's been only a coupla/three weeks since the switch, but at least I'm not any worse.

My husband, on the other hand, has been on the same three antidepressants for many years & continues to do well. Go figure . . .

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts
I ended up setting the alarm on my phone to go off at 10pm each night to remind me to take my Lantus. It has helped a lot!
I'll do something like that if my new regimen of ER only at bedtime doesn't work. I think it will be easier because I do take meds for sleep and can incorporate them.

I seem also to need to have an alarm to remind me to eat. I completely forgot to eat lunch or snacks and spiked 20 points. Not bad for not eating, but still ...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts