The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I run into this alot. I am 5'11 210-215lbs atheltic build, yet when people find out I have the big D they alway's go something like "why don't you stop eating" or something similar. I always get frustrated like, they think I am weak or something, I am not saying I am mister perfect, but I am not out of shape. Then if I explain to them that I am type 1 and it doesn't matter what I do, I will always need insulin of some kind, ""unless there is a cure"". Then I explain to them that even people that are overweight, have no choice. Even if they lose the weight, there is something that "GOD" gave us that makes our pancreas's different than other people's. So the over weight loses the weight and get of the med's, but they are still diabetic, in my opinion I don't know that much about type 2 it is just my opinion.

I know I shouldn't worry what other people think, just walk down the street with my pump hanging out. No no I try to hide it, I don't want people to know because I always have the conversation above, which I don't want to have. I bet you I am not the only one, and would like to hear what everyone thinks. I am open for suggestions.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I think the fact that type 2 diabetes is so prevalent and is in many cases brought on by bad diet and being overweight confuses most people. They hear diabetic and that is all they know.
I don't blame you for hiding your pump, people ask some dumb questions and they deserve the same type of reply, but why waste the effort.
Do what makes you feel comfortable.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know I need a sure fire comment to fire back so they don't say anything. As you can tell I am long winded and it takes me forever to explain myself and most of the time I tend to ramble on and confuse people. Maybe I can just say "its complicated". I don't know

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
I just don't suffer fools gladly, so I guess I'd tell them "thank you for your concern and your erroneous & unsolicited advice, but it's much more complex than that, and I have not the time to discuss it with you."

·
Registered
633 Posts
I don't think you owe anyone an explanation as to what is going on. I have sat on bench in front of the Wal-Mart phamacy and changed my infusion site and refilled my resivoir and never thought twice about it. When people say things to me about my diabetes I usually just srug my shoulders and say Oh Well and walk off.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Shanny,

I like what you said, I will try it.

I don't think people do it on purpose, it is just the perception of the disease is such that everyone has predefined notion's that are not really valid. The only news coverage the disease get's is of the people that don't take any care for 20 years and then have a complication.

I know what your saying Agitator, I would do that too. I do change my site in front of friends. Maybe I could just say "oh it's nothing".

It is so weird and comfortable at the same time to be talking to people about this stuff, I haven't talked with anyone about these little things. It truly is nice. Non-diabetic's will not understand and I shouldn't be trying to explane it.

thanks

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
It is so weird and comfortable at the same time to be talking to people about this stuff, I haven't talked with anyone about these little things. It truly is nice. Non-diabetic's will not understand and I shouldn't be trying to explane it.

thanks
That is what we're here for, and it's great to hear you say so. Our families and friends can love us to pieces & worry themselves sick over us, but they just can't "get it" like other diabetics do. I'm glad you found us! :D :D :D

·
Registered
633 Posts
I did tell a lie once when some one questioned what my pump was for. I told them it was a top seceret government experiment and if they wanted to live they should just walk away and pretend like they saw nothing.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
I dont hide my pump. I dont really care for it in my pocket usually so I just clip it on my waistband or on my pocket. If someone asks I tell them what it is. Most everyone that knows me, knows that I am diabetic. If I get unsolicited stupid advice, I usually just smile and tell them thanks for being concerned and I go on about my way.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I had a similar problem, only people were simply curious and were usually asking if it was from eating too much sugar and candy.

If it's a polite question and I have the time I give them a very quick rundown of the basics. Takes no longer than 3-4 minutes actually.

If a person is completely ignorant and pushes his "advice" I just tell him that the best cure from stupidity is reading.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
hehehe good one...I have to remember that one!

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
When I get un-solicited help I explain, My pancreas stopped making insulin so I have to control my BG or I die!

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
When I had an interaction wiht someone who's dad has type 2, he informed me that if I lost weight or watched what I ate than I could get off of insulin. I explained that that was not true. He said that his father's doctor had told him that. I informed him that it might be true for his dad but we had completely different diseases.
After that he seemed interested in the differences. I usually just take people's comments worth a grain of salt and go about my day, thinking all along, "how stupid"!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts