The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am scheduled to have another lipid panel done this coming Friday. My last lipid panel showed that my trigs were over 200. I have never had this problem while using a statin drug. I was going to stop eating high fat foods for about 3 days prior to testing, but would this really help me to find out what my trigs are? I was reading that it is best to stay with your current diet so that your doctor can see what your trigs are.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I would say it's in your best interest to not change anything.

The only thing I do differently is eat breakfast a little later than usual.
And that's only because I eat breakfast AFTER getting the test done.
And that's because the test is to be taken at least 10 hours after eating.

--ET

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
I agree with ET . . . I wouldn't change anything. With your gastroparesis, you'll want to be sure the length of the fasting is long enough. Are you taking a statin now?

Hoping for the best, Breeze!

·
Registered
148 Posts
I was fasting for about 12 hours before mine was done, not sure if it had anything to do with it. I am keeping my fingers crossed for you. Remember mine was almost 600 and went back to under 100 within a couple of yrs.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I agree with ET . . . I wouldn't change anything. With your gastroparesis, you'll want to be sure the length of the fasting is long enough. Are you taking a statin now?

Hoping for the best, Breeze!
Yes, I am taking 40MG of Zocor. Back in 2000-2005 I was taking Lipitor and had no problems at all while on this drug. My trigs were never elevated. My older doctor always had me fast for 14 hours. My new doctor just says to fast after midnight. I may ask to be put on something different depending on the outcome of these tests to be done on Friday. Tricor may be a better drug for me, although there are more side effects to this drug.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Knowing how long it takes food to get through your system, I'd go with the longest fast I could stand . . . you really don't want these results muddied by the gastroparesis.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am going with a 14 hour fast. That has always worked in the past. It is too bad that the lady who was doing the scheduling of the lab work was not very well informed of "a fast" for a lipid panel. She had a "I don't care attitude". Glad that she is not around very much.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Didn't Get Blood Tests Done

I wasn't able to get my blood tests done today, I wasn't able to fast the entire night. My blood sugar dropped to 36 at 12:15AM, had to get some fast acting carbs in my body. Thought that I could just make my lab appointment a little later in the morning. Woke up at 7:00AM and I tested at 42. Waited for an hour to see if maybe my liver would dump and no such luck. I finally could no longer put off eating some carbs since I felt drained of all the energy that I had. I called my doctor's office and they told me to reschedule my tests for Tuesday morning. My plan to eat as little as possible yesterday, back fired. Not eating all day messed up my basal insulin and my blood sugar went crazy. :crazy:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts