The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
That's just in case anyone knows. I can't find them, so this might be just a bit of a (very mild mannered :) ) rant.

This is one item I was looking at. Amazon.com: Paragon Coconut Popcorn Popping Oil (Gallon): Grocery & Gourmet Food

When I go down to the product features, description, or details, the ingredients aren't important enough to be included. It can't be 100% coconut oil because it has at least color. I'd like to know everything that is in it before ordering.

·
Premium Member
6,162 Posts
Usually I just google products and try to find out that way. Often it's that the info isn't available online at all, even from the mfg, such as in this case: Paragon Popcorn : Coconut Popping Oil - though you could send an email to them from the contact page and ask.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I'm new here, so I haven't made enough posts to be able to post an url so you can read the ingredients for yourself, but it contains 76 Degree Coconut Oil and Beta Carotene (For Color)

Froggie

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I would just melt some normal Coconut Oil , it is probably a lot cheaper. I buy my CO in 54 oz jars and it lasts quite awhile. All CO becomes liquid at 76 degrees.

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
That melting point may be a technical designation to assure buyers (wholesale buyers) that it is not hydrogenated? Just guessing.

Hydrogenated oils remain solid at higher temperatures, thus do not go rancid as soon, That was the original rational for hydrogenating, right? Resulting in trans-fatty acids, which we now find undesireable.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the interesting, unexpected info. While I was looking into this, I found another link that might be interesting to some people. This site mentions that they have some coconut oil that they have been testing for rancidity, and it has only begun to go bad after 7 years.

Coconut FAQs

I'm new here, so I haven't made enough posts to be able to post an url so you can read the ingredients for yourself, but it contains 76 Degree Coconut Oil and Beta Carotene (For Color)
If those are the only ingredients, that's good. You can post just the domain.com type of url. It won't be clickable, but for anyone wanting the info it is well worth the trouble.

Off topic details, but if anyone has a newer version of Firefox, for at least six months now, you can select (highlight) a domain name like example.com then right click on it and open it as a link. It will go to a web page. Example.com is a domain reserved for examples like this.

·
Premium Member
6,162 Posts
Off topic details, but if anyone has a newer version of Firefox, for at least six months now, you can select (highlight) a domain name like example.com then right click on it and open it as a link. It will go to a web page.
Cool - I didn't realize. I use Chrome and it works with it too. Thanks!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts