The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was diagnosed with type 1 in February of 2011 and am starting to look seriously into getting a pump. I have no idea which kind to get and my endocrinologist has been little to no help. I was just wondering what the pros and cons of different pumps were. I am also a fairly active person and wondered if it was difficult to wear pumps while running, playing basketball, etc.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Thomas,

I started my Medtronic Paradigm 723 on March 1. As a relative newbie to pumping, I don't have great advice about which one to get, having used only the Medtronic. As 20 plus year veteran of type 1 diabetes, I would get the pump sooner rather than later. Things may start out rocky with sugars in the 200-300, but as you and your trainer tweek the settings, things will just keep getting better and better.

Pumps may pose some problems for vigorous activity, but remember that you can also remove the pump temporarily, if necessary. Some professional athletes switch to injections, come game time.

Just my 2 cents,

Henry

I was diagnosed with type 1 in February of 2011 and am starting to look seriously into getting a pump. I have no idea which kind to get and my endocrinologist has been little to no help. I was just wondering what the pros and cons of different pumps were. I am also a fairly active person and wondered if it was difficult to wear pumps while running, playing basketball, etc.

·
Registered
35 Posts
i'm also going to get the one touch ping pump,but what helped me decide was the fact that it is waterproof and it has a food choice list of at least 30,000 foods.not sure if that helps

·
Registered
28 Posts

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
I have pumped for 4 years, and 5 mos. I am 72 now, but I workout at a gym and have done a lot of carpentry work and painted two sides of my house this year. My pump was never damaged and it did not get in my way. i don't know about playing football and other very active activities. I know most people who swim disconnect their pumps and reconnect later. The exercise should compensate for the lack of basal insulin while you are disconnected.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.