The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Before I become diabetic I liked to make this potato salad. Now that I'm diabetic I'm wondering what changes; if any; need to be done to make it more diabetic friendly.

It's called "Nuclear Potato Salad" and It's from Bill Hufnagle's; aka Biker Billy; cookbook Biker Billy's Freeway-A-Fire Cookbook: Life's Too Short to Eat Dull Food".

The recipe is as follows:
--------------------------------------------------
4 cups small red potatoes (about 8 potatoes) cut into 1/2-inch cubes
1 fresh habanero pepper, stemmed and seeded
1/4 cup honey
2 tablespoons peanut butter
1/4 cup plain yogurt
1/2 teaspoon salt
4 scallions, trimmed and cut into 1/2-inch-thick slices

Place the potatoes in a large saucepot and cover with cool water. Place the pot over high heat and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium and simmer until the potatoes are tender, 10 to 15 minutes. Drain and rinse with cool water, set aside, and cool to room temperature.
In a blender or a food processor equipped with a cutting blade, combine the habanero pepper and honey. Puree until no large pieces of habanero remain, 1 minute. Add the peanut butter and blend until smooth, 1 minute. Add the yogurt and salt and puree for until the mixture is smooth, 1 more minute.
In a large salad bowl, toss together the potatoes and scallions. Pour the dressing over the potatoes and toss until well coated. Refrigerate overnight, Serve chilled.

Makes 8 servings.
--------------------------------------------------

I usually use baking or Idaho potatoes instead of the small red potatoes. And I cook them in a microwave after cubing them.
I don't like handling habanero peppers; so instead of the pepper I would use a few drops of habanero based hot sauce with 200,000+ scoville units. Such as Mad Dog 357 or Possible Side Effects Hot Sauce.
And I like pouring the dressing over the potatoes while they are still wam and eating it immediately.

Are there any changes that need to be done to make this more diabetic friendly ?

Thanks;
--ET

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Reviving your old thread, ET . . . because I think you could use green bananas instead of potatoes for Biker Billy's recipe. Get unripe bananas that are dark green with no yellow showing yet. Score the peels lengthwise in about four places and carefully peel back the thin strips if you can. If you can't, use the paring knife. Slice or dice the bananas & cook them - I use coconut oil in a skillet & it works well - takes 30-40 minutes though, sometimes longer. Chill them until you're ready to make the salad. And use an equivalent sweetener instead of the honey. (if you aren't allergic to latex, just wear latex gloves for handling hot peppers . . . I keep a box of these gloves in the kitchen at all times)

I've had good success converting my old potato salad recipe & today I've eaten it for both breakfast & supper without a quiver in my BG.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts