The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hell we have diabetic neuropathy in feet and been dealing with it for a while like 10 months morning and evening i have the most pain walking does not make my feet have more pain I try to take walks I do take a pian med for the feet . i have been doing a hot bath with epson salt and put my feet on a heat pad seems like its does not give much relief i take gabapenten 600 mg three times a day plus my glyburide and metformin twice a day along with two blood pressure meds any tips that would give me some pain relief would help. i would rather not take the pain ,meds as they are not safe to do things under these meds . thanks jeff

·
Registered
633 Posts
I would try noy taking the BP meds for 30 days and see if that helps. Thats just me though. Research possible side effects of the ones you take and see what you find out.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
THANKS A BUNCH FUNNY YOU SAY THIS CAUSE I REMEMBER STOPPING MY BP MEDS AND BACK PAIN WAS BETTER I TAKE LISINOPRIL AND ATENOLOL i NEED BP MEDS ITS BEEN GOOD 121/83

·
Registered
19 Posts
I am type 2 diabetic person, insulin dependent for the last 24 years. Due to a car accident, I have been in bed for approximately 3 months. Now I feel when walking my legs and feet hurt. Used to walk 3 miles in an hour. What can be done. Antaki

·
WHAT, I got D
3,849 Posts
When you say pain in the feet, where exactly is the pain, over all or in the bottom of your feet, in your arch area. I had Plantar Faciaitis a while ago, it was very painful and made it extremely difficult to walk. I had to crawl to the bath room in the mornigns and during the night feet hurt so bad.

For my neuro problems in my hands and feet I took/take lots of L-Arginine, Alpha Lipoic Acid, and B-12 sublinqual tabs. 2-3 months all of the pain went completely away.

·
Registered
19 Posts
neuropathy

:):confused::rolleyes::eek:
When you say pain in the feet, where exactly is the pain, over all or in the bottom of your feet, in your arch area. I had Plantar Faciaitis a while ago, it was very painful and made it extremely difficult to walk. I had to crawl to the bath room in the mornigns and during the night feet hurt so bad.

For my neuro problems in my hands and feet I took/take lots of L-Arginine, Alpha Lipoic Acid, and B-12 sublinqual tabs. 2-3 months all of the pain went completely away.

·
Registered
19 Posts
neuropathy pain

My right leg is dormant when I sit long enough and the fingers of both
legs hurt. Also, sometimes both my heels hurt too.
Although I take Gabapentina 300mg 3 x times and celestazol for circulation, so far it has been of help.
My B12 blood exam was last week 989.
Any other thoughts you might have?

·
Registered
137 Posts
Many people with diabetes and other conditions find the supplement Alpha Lipoic Acid helpful in repairing neuropathic and other types of neurological damage. Liquid vitamin B12 can be helpful as well because B12 is a basic building block the body uses to repair/regrow nerve cells.

G

·
Have you been tested for vitamin deficiencies? Many (most?) Doctors are quick to blame diabetes for neuropathy and don't even look to see if there might be another cause.
Diabetics are FREQUENTLY deficient in one or more vitamins, up to 75% of diabetics are Thiamine (Vit B1) deficient, and many are Vit B12 deficient, especially if you've been taking Metformin.
Both of these can cause Neuropathy, which is probably why the folks above saw relief when they took B12 supplements.
I got my doctor to test me and found out that I was Thiamine deficient. Since I've been taking Thiamine supplements(2 months now) my neuropathy is almost completely cured.

·
Registered
19 Posts
:rolleyes::eek:

·
Registered
20 Posts
I've had neuropathy for over four years now. Originally my Doctor told me it was a fallen arch type problem and just gave me paracetamol for it. I eventually got to the stage it got so bad pain wise the Doctor decided to try me on things like Gabbapentin and such.

I had around two years of going through all that range of meds and not getting any relief from the pain.The GP at the time ran out of options for me and put me on 20 mg of sustained relief morphine twice daily which helped a little.

Have since changed GP a year ago and was on 40 mg morphine twice daily at the time of change in GP. The new GP currently has me on 60 mg of Oxycontin twice daily and I have a supply of 10 mg Oxynorm, which I can take up to four a day of.

I must admit to hating taking these meds because they're twice as strong as morphine and have the same or similar side effects. I usually try not to take the full daily dosages because of the side effects.

It'd sure be good if there was something else out there that helped and doesn't have the side effects this does.

I have the compounded problem of also having heal spurs, which the hospital here doesn't deem important enough to operate on, so unfortunately I'm a bit limited on the amount of excercise I can get.

One thing I've noticed is that the hotter my feet get, the more pain I get, I've been told that that's because of my bad circulation and the arteries swelling, as to whether that is in fact the case or not, I don't know. I have found cooling my feet down a bit helps with reducing the pain. Due to a lack of feeling in my feet these days, I have to check them by feeling them with my hands to find out how hot/cold they are now.

·
Registered
19 Posts
neuropathy pain

He will explain to you the whole procedure plus any costs involved which to my understanding is
I've had neuropathy for over four years now. Originally my Doctor told me it was a fallen arch type problem and just gave me paracetamol for it. I eventually got to the stage it got so bad pain wise the Doctor decided to try me on things like Gabbapentin and such.

I had around two years of going through all that range of meds and not getting any relief from the pain.The GP at the time ran out of options for me and put me on 20 mg of sustained relief morphine twice daily which helped a little.

Have since changed GP a year ago and was on 40 mg morphine twice daily at the time of change in GP. The new GP currently has me on 60 mg of Oxycontin twice daily and I have a supply of 10 mg Oxynorm, which I can take up to four a day of.

I must admit to hating taking these meds because they're twice as strong as morphine and have the same or similar side effects. I usually try not to take the full daily dosages because of the side effects.

It'd sure be good if there was something else out there that helped and doesn't have the side effects this does.

I have the compounded problem of also having heal spurs, which the hospital here doesn't deem important enough to operate on, so unfortunately I'm a bit limited on the amount of excercise I can get.

One thing I've noticed is that the hotter my feet get, the more pain I get, I've been told that that's because of my bad circulation and the arteries swelling, as to whether that is in fact the case or not, I don't know. I have found cooling my feet down a bit helps with reducing the pain. Due to a lack of feeling in my feet these days, I have to check them by feeling them with my hands to find out how hot/cold they are now.

·
Registered
19 Posts
neuropathy pain

I take Gabapentin 3 times a day -300, I have been taken it for the last 10 years. In the beginning it helped me a little but now I am accustomed. My neuropathy pain gets worse when it gets very cold or very hot .
On the other hand, I found a doctor similar to the you have in Missouri.
He is specialized in dealing with Neuropathy. His name is Dr. H. Kenneth Gilbertson. He almost cures Neuropathy with no medications whatsoever. You may write to him and you may quote my name if you wish.
I had enough with medication and now I am feeling much better.
If I can be of further help, please do not hesitate to contact me.
Pierre Antaki

·
Registered
8,795 Posts
So your pain feels like hot? Mine feels like cold...are they the same thing? I've been told twice that I don't have neuropathy, but I feel cold all the same. Toes still have feeling, but feel cold all the time.

Any wisdom here?

·
Registered
20 Posts
No, I find heat makes the pain worse. I find wearing shoes and socks for more than a couple of hours very uncomfortable, I also find during that time my feet swell up, so lace up shoes are out for me. i wear my ugg boots a lot as a result because they're loose fitting, they may not give the best protection for my feet, but they keep my feet warm and I don't get the pain I get from normal shoes that fit more snugly on thed feet.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I haave the same problem, sandy. I often try to wear sandals. Nowadays, it is easier since we are entering the summer season. In winter it becomes difficult.
Have you nreceived my e-mail on Dr. Gilbertson?
Have a Happy Thanksgiving Day Tomorrow. Health and success.
Pierre

·
Registered
19 Posts
neuropathy pain

Sandy, me too. I find it very harash to wear socks and shoes. But since we are entering the summer season, I am starting to wear
sandals. That is helping a lot.
Have a happy Thanksgiving Day tomorrow.
Pierre
I have been diagnosed with type 2 since 1985 and went on Insulin
in 1988. Still surviving with Galvus aqnd Metformin.
If required additional information, please do not hesitate to contact me.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I often wear jandals in the summer if I'm just at home or going out to get the mail. I've lost a lot of the feeling in my feet, so I always wear shoes or some other strong foot wear when I go out because I wouldn't feel if I stood on something sharp and injured myself. As you may know, the feet are very prone to infections and such and those infections are hard to get rid of, so I figure better safe than sorry..

·
Registered
7 Posts
I used to take gabapentin for the pain in my legs and feet. It really didn't help me. My doctor switched me to neurontin and that seems to help. If I stop taking it for a few days, the pain starts up again. Sometimes I feel as though I am walking on two wooden posts.

Rita

1 - 20 of 21 Posts