The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have not been exercising at all since the weather has been so bad. There is so much ice & snow on the sidewalks that I am afraid I will fall down. My gait is not very good. I am going to buy a stationary bike. I know that riding a stationary bike is not a real vigorous way to exercise, but it is the best I can do. I don't belong to a gym or health club. I have severe arthritis and it limits my ability to exercise the way I used to. Is some exercise better than none?

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Durn tootin' some is better than none! Every little bit helps. Riding a stationary bike even allows you to read a book or watch tv while you're busy pumping! Go for it!

The weather has me stymied too . . . I even got my new walking shoes, but the melting snow & an all-day rain today keeps our roads a sodden mess. I won't be taking my new shoes out into that mudhole any time soon! My gait is a little unsteady too, so I need dry roads for my walking.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I got myself a Wii on sale last fall, and my kids gave me Wii Fit Plus for Christmas. I have been exercising on that like a mad woman! It is fun, gets my heart rate up, weighs me, tells me my bmi, and there are tons of different types of exercises to do. Love it!

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
I bought a treadmill in 2003 and I use it on cold and bad weather days here in New York. I used to have a stationary bike but my knees were hurting every time I used it. My doctor told me that a bike can bother knees very much. I have arthritis too. A treadmill is best for me at 70 years of age.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I thought about a treadmill, but my Mom was interested in using the stationary bike as well. She broke her hip three years ago and has to use a walker. It takes her an hour to walk around a block. She can't stand for very long, so that is part of the reason I thought about a stationary bike. I think I found one, it is a fan bike. Target has the best price. I just have to find someone to put it together.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts