The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My husband has type 2, he has lost a lot of weight eating high fat/low carb, but he needs to stop losing. I try to feed him high calorie things like cream cheese, cheese and nuts, but he is still losing. Any suggestions?

·
WHAT, I got D
3,849 Posts
You have to increase protein.

My husband has type 2, he has lost a lot of weight eating high fat/low carb, but he needs to stop losing. I try to feed him high calorie things like cream cheese, cheese and nuts, but he is still losing. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
I wish I needed to STOP losing weight instead of the other way around :pout:

Reactions: brand19922006

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Living LCHF will regulate the weight.
I was nervous before I started LCHF since I really have to struggle to not be to thin.
My BMI has now stabilised at 18. I`m still 5-6 kilo less than what I used to be, but it seems my body has found its weight.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You have to increase protein.
He isn't too fond of veggies and we don't eat fruit, so he eats mostly protein, which probably isn't good.

Are we sure it is Type 2, then?
He is definitely type 2, not on any medicine, and has no problem keeping his bg low with diet.

What are his BS numbers? Is he still getting highs? How often does he urinate?
Most of the time his tests are between 85 and 110, although I have a tough time trying to force him to take his bg, he won't do it often, once a week or less - usually less. Our doctor thinks we don't need to test at all. His first A1c 6 months ago was 6.7, 3 months ago was 6.3 and he just had blood taken today for his third A1c. He doesn't have frequent urination.

He has lost 45 pounds in 6 months, is down to 175 and doesn't want to go any lower. Today he went in for his 6-month blood test, a full panel. I don't think it is a health problem, I think it is a diet problem. I wonder if he should be eating more carbs.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I have been doing LC/HF for 4+ years. My weight did even out when it hit the low 120's. The best way to add weight is to add some carbs back in his diet. How many carbs a day is he eating. You may want to try to add some vegetable carbs like sweet potatoes, cauliflower, etc back in his diet. He can also use low carb vanilla whey powder to make smoothies. I can handle small amounts of berries when I make smoothies. Also does he do any weight lifting. Building muscle will put on some weight. Since he is eating low carb, his body doesn't need to make much insulin, insulin is what keeps weight on people. You may want to ask for a C peptide test to check his insulin levels. I do remember in Dr Bernstein's book his weight was quite low, too. I got down to 112 last year and that was way too thin for me.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
How many carbs a day is he eating.
We don't really count carbs because we eat so few of them. He has sandwiches on low carb (I think 8 per slice) bread. I cook the veggies, put them on the counter and he eats some, but not a lot. He would love to have sweet potatoes. I'll check the carbs on some higher carb veggies to see which ones would work for him. He likes faux mashed potatoes, guess I need to serve them more often.

Also does he do any weight lifting.
If I can't get him to test his bg, there is no way on Earth I can get him to exercise, so we can cross that off the list.

You may want to ask for a C peptide test to check his insulin levels.
I thought if your insulin levels were low, your bg would be low, and if they were high, your bg would be high. Is that the case? If his bg is always good, how would a C peptide test help?

·
Banned
158 Posts
I thought if your insulin levels were low, your bg would be low, and if they were high, your bg would be high. Is that the case? If his bg is always good, how would a C peptide test help?
Nope. :) Usually if the insulin level is high, the bg would be low. And, if the insulin is low, bg is high. Inverse relationship. :)

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Nope. :) Usually if the insulin level is high, the bg would be low. And, if the insulin is low, bg is high. Inverse relationship. :)
If the insulin level is high, is that dangerous? What does it mean to the health? His bg never drops below 80, so it isn't abnormally low. Are there any symptoms, besides weight loss, that come with a high insulin level?

I know his insulin isn't low because his bg is never very high. Sheesh, this diabetes stuff is a lot more complicated than I thought.

·
Banned
158 Posts
If the insulin level is high, is that dangerous? What does it mean to the health? His bg never drops below 80, so it isn't abnormally low. Are there any symptoms, besides weight loss, that come with a high insulin level?

I know his insulin isn't low because his bg is never very high. Sheesh, this diabetes stuff is a lot more complicated than I thought.
It is complicated. Because of the insulin resistance factor, you cannot completely determine the insulin levels based only upon the bg levels. But they do normally have an inverse relationship.

That's why the c-peptide is good test - it measures the extent to which the pancreas is still producing insulin.

Just because 'bg is never very high" does not necessarily mean that "his insulin isn't low." If a person is extremely insulin resistant, they could have high bg while at the same time having low insulin levels.

In my personal case, I had very high bg's. At my first Endo appt., it measured 454 in his office. Strangely enough, I was losing weight without even trying. My c-peptide blood test showed that I was still making some insulin, but the doc said it was no longer producing enough for my body's needs. So, in my case, I had high bg and low insulin. My Endo explained that when this happens, the body will start burning anything it can for fuel - fat, muscle - ANYTHING. He said the body will not distinguish between which muscle to burn, so it can easily start to burn up (and use) heart muscle tissue.

He wouldn't let me leave his office to drive home until my bg was below 400. The nurse gave me 10 units of the fast acting Insulin and I ate nothing to absorb it. 1 hour later, my bg had barely moved. So, I was given another 10 units of the fast acting Insulin and 30 minutes later, my bg was still high - 435. Endo said, "Wow! You are extremely insulin resistant."

I don't mean to confuse or complicate things, but I just want to say that typically there is an inverse relationship between bg and insulin, but because of the "insulin resistance factor," you cannot definitively conclude if either of these factors taken independently is too high or too low. That's why the c-peptide test is crucial.

Reactions: optimist

·
Premium Member
6,162 Posts
He has enough pancreatic function to handle his bg without medication, though his A1C could stand to come down. I'm thinking if he ate a few more carbs in the veggie category like jwags said, but coupled with a nice increase in fat consumption (does he like avocados? maybe slathered in blue cheese dressing?), he might decrease his bs while helping with the weight. Nuts are great. I'm addicted to macadamias. They're so high in fat and calories that they were an illegal food for me before diabetes - now .. oh la la. The biggest problem is that they're expensive and I eat too many of them (methinks this is one of my weight-stall problems)

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I tend to think it is diet-related because I have lost 38 pounds in 6 months, since going low carb, so I don't think 45 pounds in 6 months for him is unusual on a low carb diet. Plus, his last 5 pounds took a while to come off.

He isn't wanting to gain weight, just stop losing. I'll try to get more calories, fat and a few more carbs down him. If he continues to lose weight, I'll discuss the C-peptide thing with him.

Thanks to everyone for your help.

Froggie

1 - 16 of 16 Posts