The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi : I was diagnosed 1 yr ago and in the past few months have developed very dry feet. I don't sweat on my feet any more. In an attempt to protect them from complications I moisturize every night with olive oil, or coconut oil and put socks on. It seems to help a little but in the morning my feet are still dry. I have some calluses on the little toe and am trying to soften these areas but the oil does not seem to seap into the skin permanently. I also have sometimes pain in my legs and my toes have gotten boney. It feels also like the fat on the bottom of my feet has gone down. sometimes I feel like I'm walking on bone. Any tips for improving comfort of the feet or what oils will help dry feet?? I'd appreciate advice.

I am trying to follow Richard Bernsteins low carb diet but finding it hard to kick the carbs.

DX: 10-6-2010
A1C: 10/10 -8.1
---------------------
A1c: 10-2011- 6.3

Metfromin 500mg 2 X daily....
Cinnamon
ALA 200mg
Evening Primrose oil

·
Registered
782 Posts
Have you tried Aveda Foot Relief or Kiehl's Creme de Corps?

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
I have psoriasis, so have dry feet. I use St. Ives oatmeal & shea butter lotion after every shower, and the dryness gets better every day. If you have toenail problems, try applying Vicks under the nail, on top of the nail and around the cuticle twice a day. That will also help with the dryness around the toes.

My husband's foot doctor told him to wear insoles that are only sold at sports shoe stores like Foot Locker. I don't know the brand name, but the shoe store will know what you are wanting. They are expensive, but are very cushy and are guaranteed for a year. At home, I only wear Dearfoam house slippers. If you buy those, make sure the insoles are thick and cushy. They have several different styles. Walmart carries them.

For leg and feet problems, support hose are great. Walmart sells Leggs brand, they come 3 pair in a box and where I'm at, at the moment they are only $5.59 per box.

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
I had a horrible experience with this last year. I thought it was from D, figured it was a life sentence, and I was so depressed ... well. I used anti-fungal cream, and it cleared up and has not troubled me since! :eek::D

Lamisil works best, but even the generic clotrimazole will help!

Give them a try.

·
Registered
15 Posts
The doc I just saw said to use Aquafor. It's from eucerin. I started using a week or so ago and it seems to be helping. It's a lot like petroleum jelly but works into the skin quite well. I put socks on to keep it from getting all over the place and by morning it's been soaked up and my feet are soft again. For my hands I've been using Mary Kay's Satin hands and from what I know of it, you can use it on feet as well, i've just not tried that yet.

Good luck!
Shannon

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yes, apparently from my readings, dry feet and lack of perspiration on the feet is a symptom of diabetes. My feet used to perspire but not since a July 2011.

Dr Richard Bernstein addresses this in his book. I've tried Olive oil, Castor oil, and Coconut oil. It helps temporarily but doesn't make my feet stay soft.

The dry feet are related to neuropathy. Low thyroid can also cause dry feet and lack of sweating too.

I called Dr Bernstein on the phone at his office and he actually answered the phone himself. It was amazing. He was so nice. He said that a lot of Diabetics have low thyroid as well. So I don't know if the dry feet is from low thyroid or the Diabetes.....

·
Registered
58 Posts
During the end of my shower I brush my feet (Heels etc.) with a soapy bath brush. The does very well in starting the removal of dry dead skin.

Then I briskly dry with a fluffy cotton towel this further removes dead skin I finish with a dry brush, Note I'm not digging for gold here,I'm cautious to not harm my feet just remove what dead skin that will easily come off.

Then it's GOLD BOND lotion. The healing restoring blend it does absolute wonders on keeping my feet nice and tidy. I go to bed sometimes I'll put on a set of low cut socks. When I awake and dress I put more lotion on for the day.

Wash / rinse / repeat at every end of day shower..

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
gold bond

During the end of my shower I brush my feet (Heels etc.) with a soapy bath brush. The does very well in starting the removal of dry dead skin.

Then I briskly dry with a fluffy cotton towel this further removes dead skin I finish with a dry brush, Note I'm not digging for gold here,I'm cautious to not harm my feet just remove what dead skin that will easily come off.

Then it's GOLD BOND lotion. The healing restoring blend it does absolute wonders on keeping my feet nice and tidy. I go to bed sometimes I'll put on a set of low cut socks. When I awake and dress I put more lotion on for the day.

Wash / rinse / repeat at every end of day shower..

OK, I will try the gold bond creamto see if it helps, thanks

·
Registered
58 Posts
Kim,
Another thing to consider.. Are you rotating your shoes? allowing them to rest a day or two between wearings promotes air circulation with in them. Some foot powder into the shoe can help keep bacteria down also.. Might help you overall?

Oh and i like 100% cotton socks..

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have very dry skin on my feet and lower legs, my Doctor has told me it's because of my having poor circulation. He's since prescribed Aqueous cream which I now use as needed. I find it quite effective. The good thing is, I can use it, then have a shower an hour later and it won't all wash off, so I guess it's a good thing as it is fixing my skin more effectively.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.