The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

· Registered
24,406 Posts
Yay! That's good to hear, Breeze! I had a good day too - although a lot of it was spent dozing too. We must have a sandman virus around here :)D), cuz yesterday my everlovin' was falling asleep every time he turned around, and today when HE was tearing around chopping wood & mowing weeds, I was falling asleep every time I sat down! It seemed like the old days of "carb coma", when I'd be falling asleep every time I ate something - but my carb intake for today was a bowl of buttered artichoke hearts & half a thin bun made into a grilled pepper cheese sandwich (and it was YUMMY!
)

· Registered
24,406 Posts
Good to hear your medical supply company responds quickly . . . that's what they get paid for, right?! :)

We had a pretty restful day, but realized we needed to go to town, having run out of eggs & avocados - perish the very thought! Those two items keep this household running! :D So about midafternoon we finally loaded up the big furball, who thinks he should go every time the car goes - and made a dash to the grocery store. Then I spent the rest of the day processing the groceries; made another big batch of hot wings, cooked a dozen eggs for deviling, and baked a big pan of link breakfast sausages to have on hand in the freezer. Also made the tuna/mac casserole that we had for supper. Now I need a maid or butler to clean up the kitchen . . .

· Registered
24,406 Posts
All fingers crossed for you tomorrow, Breeze. It's such a joy to hear you're getting your strength back & gaining energy. Keep on keepin' on, sweet lady!

I'm going in for a bone density test tomorrow myself, but don't expect anything out of the ordinary. As my doc says, I'm the last person he'd expect to have thinning bones - pretty obvious I'm built like a brick you-know-what . . . :rolleyes:

· Registered
24,406 Posts
Doc's office called with bone density results and they were normal . . . he just sez start calcium & vitamin D supplements, and I would have asked him about that if he hadn't volunteered. Not so sure I'll do the calcium since I have history of kidney stones, but I'll definitely be starting vitamin D since I no longer use milk & I don't get out in the sun much either!

· Registered
24,406 Posts
My husband & I both have "blah" days too . . . he'll even say "I just don't have it today" and head to the sofa for a nap. There doesn't seem to be a reason - no aches/pains/aggravations . . . just blah sometimes.

· Registered
24,406 Posts
Pretty good day so far. I had to go out to get a baby gate to block off my upstairs. My dog cant seem to understand that the carpet is not grass grrrr.
Is this furball an old dog or a young dog? ;) Our poor pooch got abandoned today, in a manner of speaking. The mister had been cutting & carrying firewood all morning & when he finally came in tuckered out, we got him rehydrated & somewhat rested & then made a fast dash into town for groceries.

So getting back home, I pull the car into the garage & pop the trunk, we get out & start carrying groceries into the house & then Mister goes back for more woodcutting. He comes in a couple hours later & we fix supper, we eat supper & he takes off for the sofa & a well-earned nap. It isn't until two more hours that I finally wake up & think "where's Fritz?" I ask Mister about it & he begins to worry - then I start retracing our steps & have to ask "did either of us let him outta the car when we came home from town?" Nope - we just popped the trunk & away we went. Is this the most forgiving 80 lbs. of furball that ever lived? Yep - he was just still lying quietly in the back seat, waiting for someone to come open the car door. If we'd left the cat stranded for 4½ hours, he wouldn't speak to us for a week. But Fritz is now quietly sleeping at our feet in the living room . . . just like nothing ever happened. Geez . . . :eek:

· Registered
24,406 Posts
I hope they realize is that your "chronic illness" prompted you to lose 100#! If anything, they'd better reduce your premiums! :)

having an OK day today. didnt sleep all that much. it was nice out today for my walk. made some small burgers on the bbq this afternoon for lunch (and leftovers for the next few days).

got something in the mail yesterday that has me kinda down. my insurance company had a rep send me a letter saying that they'd like to talk to me about my "cronic illness"

kind of hit home to read it like that :(

· Registered
24,406 Posts
Hey Jim? Big Pharma isn't making any money on metformin, and metformin doesn't burn out your pancreas either.

You err greatly in lumping metformin in with all the sulfonylureas. It is a biguanide drug, meaning it do not affect the output of insulin, unlike other hypoglycemic agents such as sulfonylureas and meglitinides. Because of this, not only is it effective in Type 2 diabetics but can also be effective in Type 1 patients in concert with insulin therapy.

What IS happening is that for the last eight years your high levels of blood glucose have been eroding your retinal function, your kidney function, your circulatory/cardiac function. It's time you stopped charting your progress by your original BG levels and set new goals to get non-damaging levels. Your political beliefs may be dead-on, but they're interfering with your health and well-being.

· Registered
24,406 Posts
Now that we've introduced that inexplicable term "impaired glucose tolerance", and have even cited Jenny Ruhl to buttress our beliefs, let me introduce some more proven points, also from Jenny Ruhl: Misdiagnosis By Design - The Story Behind the ADA Diagnostic Criteria: This is an exceptionally good explanation of the policies which restrain the US medical community (policies which have been refused by the rest of the civilized countries of the world!), and the political gamesmanship behind it.

To put this in perspective, i am only talking about my type 2 diabetes and this is about my "highest blood sugar" which is not all that far out of line with commonly held beliefs:
When first phase release fails, or when second phase insulin response is sluggish, blood sugars start to rise to higher levels after a meal and take longer to return to normal. This condition is called "impaired glucose tolerance." If the blood sugar rises over 200 mg/dl (11 mmol/L) after a meal the same condition is called "Diabetes."
REF:How Blood Sugar Control Works--And How It Stops Working

this "highest blood sugar" is not about my very high Fasting blood sugar or my average blood sugar.

i just think that you and i are talking about two different conditions, you about type 1 and me about my type 2

my original statement:
mostly a regular day
added one teaspoon of apple vinegar to meals in my "Snake Oil Diet" ( just supplements, no medications).

last reading was within my parameters ( less than 210 mg/dl )

22:18 food with one teaspoon of apple vinegar, 620 calories, 83 grams of sugar, 48 grams protein, i use this as my carbohydrate loading test
23:18 183 ReliOn 183 mg/dl 1 hour after meal
00:19 200 ReliOn 200 mg/dl 2 hour after meal
01:21 136 ReliOn 136 mg/dl 3 hour after meal
02:18 135 ReliOn 135 mg/dl 4 hour after meal
03:19 117 ReliOn 117 mg/dl 5 hour after meal

so far so good

--------------------------------

Shanny

point well taken, thank you

· Registered
24,406 Posts
Oh take it from me, Breeze, everyone should sleep in every little chance they get! heheh! I'm bemoaning the fact that I won't be sleeping in long for the next coupla days because we have roofers coming tomorrow. At least the work is being done on our shop/garage building, and not the house itself where I'm TRYING to sleep! :rolleyes:

Darn, Eric . . . what is this kind of work is this that you have to lay off all winter? Can you draw unemployment for those months out of work?

My day went okay too . . . hadda make a run to town again, for meds which didn't get filled a week ago and for POPCICLES! And I finally persuaded my sidekick here that our freezer WOULD hold two boxes! :D :D :D So we have lotsa s/f popcicles for once! :love:

We had the simplest supper, but so delicious . . . coupla large chicken breasts sautéed in a mixture of butter & Crystal hot sauce - they stayed so moist & juicy! Then I baked a coupla sweet potatoes & steamed some spinach. Butter on everything, of course . . . but that's plenty good. Mr. likes his sweet potatoes with brown sugar, but even he is using the Splenda brown sugar blend now. And I just tested bg, and for the first time in a week, I'm under 110 - just barely . . . 109.

· Registered
24,406 Posts
I turned out smelling like a rose, as it were . . . much better than I deserve, fer shure!

After supper my everlovin' got fidgetty & wanted to go to town for DQ. I said fine - if we could go to Walmart for CarbSmart too. So we bustled off to DQ (25-mile roundtrip) & he got a Blizzard approximately the size of Texas! :D Polishing off that much ice cream kept him busy while I shopped Walmart.

Came home with three packages of CarbSmart ice cream bars and promptly ate one whole box - six bars. And tested 118 a couple hours later. See what I mean about smelling like a rose? I prob'ly wouldn't have even tested, except that the Blizzard person made a comment about that much ice cream spiking me! heheh! Guess I showed him! :rolleyes:

· Registered
24,406 Posts
Not getting untracked very fast today & am in a funk, which is unusual for me. I've been up nearly two hours, but haven't tested, haven't taken meds, haven't even used the bathroom. What I really want is to go back to bed & pull the covers up over my head - except that it's too muggy to cover up. Were we talking about "BLAH" the other day? This is "blah" times ten. :twitch:

. . . the roofers came Tuesday and tore off the old roof (this is shop/garage building - not house, thank heaven!). Then yesterday it started before breakfast & rained steadily from morning 'til night, so no roofing got done, and indeed some leakage occurred. We needed rain badly, but Mother Nature has a weird damn sense of humor . . . this job was postponed during the heat wave, only to be sabotaged by rain. :mad:

I'm gonna drag my lazy butt outta this chair & go take my meds . . . maybe all I need is my morning jolt of Prozac, y'think? :madgrin:

· Registered
24,406 Posts
Well KB, I think the song sez "this is a lovely way to spend an evening", but I'd have to amend that axiom & say what a crappy way to spend an evening. No clues to what might have caused the spike or any other irregularities? This is not something you want to replay any time soon . . .

Hang in there & don't be a stranger! :)

· Registered
24,406 Posts
Glad to hear you're back with the VA, Jim . . . I hope they've improved their system enough to get you some relief & drop your BG levels. That's a pretty poor track record they have with you . . . can't blame you for being leery of them. But I worry about your continuing high BG, because that is often the source of all the other crap. Once those levels drop and stabilize, many other problems begin to resolve. Do the best you can to be a good patient! :D :D :D

· Registered
24,406 Posts
Oh Breeze! You must be exhausted, and frustrated and furious. Would your doc's office recommend an agency . . . surely they know the ones who are competent, trustworthy & reliable.

You never need to apologize to us . . . we're here for the support you need and I wish to high heaven that we were there in person to make sure you get proper care. This is freakin' SCARY!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.