The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
161 - 178 of 178 Posts

· Registered
2,772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #161 ·
Yesterday was a great day! Blood sugar levels were excellent. I still don't have much of an appetite which I love, thanks to the Metformin. Still don't have any side effects to complain about. Went shopping and spent over an hour in the local health food store. Spent $80. I am very interested in learning about apple cider vinegar and coconut oil. Bought some white Stevia powder to see if it tastes sweet, several other powders were bitter and had a funny after taste.

I got some new nasal cannulas, they are supposed to help conserve oxygen, I am trying it out at bedtime.

Went to JCPenney and bought some new micro fleece sheets, these are the softest sheets that I have ever bought and they are so warm! I love them.

My home health tech comes this morning to help me with my bath. I love my tech, she is from Russia and is the sweetest lady and she is ever so gentle. I love when she comes to help!

· Registered
2,772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #162 ·
Things Just Keep Getting Worse

Yesterday was not a good day. I found out that my contract for working at home may not be renewed, and after December, I will be out looking for another job and health insurance. I couldn't afford the COBRA monthly payment. I can't seem to find anything good about this so if it seems as though I have heard the final word about my employment, I like to look at things in a realistic manner or worse case scenerio. My whole life will change. Looking for work right now in our economy and at my age is really depressing. At least I have 3 months to start looking for work and to start planning for a possible change in a way to treat my diabetes. This is a real concern. At least there are programs in place to help for those in need. I know everyone has times in their lives where they struggle, but it seems as though I have had some tough times lately. :(

· Anti-Man Made Carbs!
1,891 Posts
Sorry to hear the news Breezy. Yes the economy is pure crap out there right now.

· Registered
24,406 Posts
It doesn't just SEEM like you've had tough times, Breeze . . . you HAVE had tough times lately! You nearly died of pneumonia, and still aren't fully recovered. Good grief! Murphy's law has run amok! So I think I'll still pray that your contract be renewed . . .

· Registered
191 Posts
My day is going well so far. The Metformin is starting to really kick in. It's lowering my fasting glucose and I don't spike as high - that is unless I have plain yogurt. :p Darn you yogurt! But other than that things are good. I had a nap today already and feel good. So I can't complain. I just wish that Breeze would recover and not have to deal with the things she's dealing with :( HUGS!

· Anti-Man Made Carbs!
1,891 Posts
Yogurt has tons of sugar in it. not sure why they try to market it as "healthy"

· Registered
191 Posts
Yeah I just checked calorieking.com for the carb count. It has 17 carbs per cup. I had one cup last night. My bg went up to 166 after eating it. Normally 17 carbs of grains dont do that to me, so i'm guessing that just because it's yogurt, easy to digest it would spike me? IDK. Makes sense that way. Other than that spike my levels were pretty good compared to what they have been.

· Anti-Man Made Carbs!
1,891 Posts
Yeah I just checked calorieking.com for the carb count. It has 17 carbs per cup. I had one cup last night. My bg went up to 166 after eating it. Normally 17 carbs of grains dont do that to me, so i'm guessing that just because it's yogurt, easy to digest it would spike me? IDK. Makes sense that way. Other than that spike my levels were pretty good compared to what they have been.
keep in mind, not all carbs are created equally.

17 carbs of grains are NOT the same as 17 carbs in yogurt.

the grains are natural carbs, like carbs in nuts and veggies.
the carbs in yogurt are man made, and quite frankly, man made
carbs are bad for you

· Registered
191 Posts
keep in mind, not all carbs are created equally.

17 carbs of grains are NOT the same as 17 carbs in yogurt.

the grains are natural carbs, like carbs in nuts and veggies.
the carbs in yogurt are man made, and quite frankly, man made
carbs are bad for you
Ah, thank you :) What other kinds of foods should I look out for then? I know orange juice spikes me so I avoid that.

· Anti-Man Made Carbs!
1,891 Posts
im having a so so day.

my vision isnt as sharp today. have you guys had this happen?
my numbers arent any different then they normally are, so i
dont think its that. i think its just one of those diabetes things
that happen from time to time.

i just had to stuff down a boca burger with onions and cheese
i really dont care for eating anymore, its the weirdest thing

· Anti-Man Made Carbs!
1,891 Posts
Ah, thank you :) What other kinds of foods should I look out for then? I know orange juice spikes me so I avoid that.
all fruit juices will have a lot of sugar in them.
keep in mind that even though we grow up being told that fruit
is "good for you" that doesnt always apply to diabetics.
although fruit comes from the earth, it has a lot of natural sugar,
which is not good for most diabetics BS numbers.

the fruit is something that youre going to have to do testing on your own to see if it spikes you or not.

as for things to snack on (if you must snack), id recommend nuts, veggies, cheese stuff like that.

· Registered
191 Posts
Thanks ThoseBackPages :) I'll work on that. I'm not much of a fruit-eater so that shouldn't be a problem. But I do enjoy a glass of orange juice every once in a while, but I'm avoiding that as I said earlier. I should buy some beef jerky. That would be good to munch on, I think. I hear other people talking about beef jerky as a good snack. So I'll try that.

· Anti-Man Made Carbs!
1,891 Posts
Thanks ThoseBackPages :) I'll work on that. I'm not much of a fruit-eater so that shouldn't be a problem. But I do enjoy a glass of orange juice every once in a while, but I'm avoiding that as I said earlier. I should buy some beef jerky. That would be good to munch on, I think. I hear other people talking about beef jerky as a good snack. So I'll try that.
yes, beef jerky is a great low carb snack. i dont care for them.

my favorite "snack" is pork rinds. zero carbs in them, and they are good and crunchy, a great substitute for chips and pretzels

as for the OJ thing, id recommend mayeb looking into sugar (and carb) free water "mixums" im pretty sure that sunny d makes a sugar free morning sunrise (meaning orange juice/drink) flavor
that i was addicted to a few years back. Currently i am addicted to Target Store brand "Grape" mix-ums, 0 carbs, 0 calories, 0 sugar

· Registered
191 Posts
Yeah, I have crystal light lemonade which I love. It's expensive consider what it is, just a powder but its really good, so I continue to buy it. :) I might start experimenting with off-brands to see if I find one I really like. That would be a cheaper option for me.

· Registered
24,406 Posts
Any of the beef stick/beef jerky snacks are good, and so are cheese sticks. If you enjoy the crunch of chips, try these cheese crisps - they are tremendous and only take a few minutes to make. And they're good with dip too. Any mayonnaise/sour cream dip is a fine snack for diabetics.

I had a Crystal Light peach tea at the rehab hospital last weekend, and it was delicious too.

· Registered
114 Posts
Any of the beef stick/beef jerky snacks are good, and so are cheese sticks. If you enjoy the crunch of chips, try these cheese crisps - they are tremendous and only take a few minutes to make. And they're good with dip too. Any mayonnaise/sour cream dip is a fine snack for diabetics.

I had a Crystal Light peach tea at the rehab hospital last weekend, and it was delicious too.
Shanny,
You are terrific with all these delicious recipes. I will try it out tomorrow. I will put some Indian spices on the cheese before crisping them.

· Registered
1,590 Posts
Yeah, I have crystal light lemonade which I love. It's expensive consider what it is, just a powder but its really good, so I continue to buy it. :) I might start experimenting with off-brands to see if I find one I really like. That would be a cheaper option for me.
Crystal light is awesome! I am addicting to the fruit punch flavor. The walmart brand fruit punch is awesome too. The only time I ever drink juice is when I am having low blood sugar. I prefer to eat my carbs and get the nutrition and fiber in the fruit than to just drink them.

· Registered
2,772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #178 ·
Today was a good day. Blood glucose readings were excellent. And I can't forget my beloved Ohio State Buckeyes football team....pulling out another impressive win. 20-73 against Eastern Michigan University.
It was a non-conference game and really not much competition. We travel to Illinois next week and we start the Big Ten conference. The Big Ten is known for having tough defenses and the games are usually very good to watch on TV.

O..H..I..O :D

161 - 178 of 178 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.