The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Anti-Man Made Carbs!
1,891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, just wanted to introduce myself.

Name's Eric, im 39 and was diagnosed T2 a little more than three months ago.

since that time, ive adopted a strict diet and exercise program, and have been lucky enough to loose 72 pounds since diagnosis.
at diagnosis i was 268 (im 6'2").

ive become a carb hater and try to avoid them at all costs.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Welcome aboard, Eric. Congratulations on your progress - you're under 200# now - wow! I hope you'll pause for breath now so you don't burn out! :D

I eat low carb also - about 50g - 60g per day. I use complex carbs like leafy greens & high fiber vegetables, and I've found a couple of good substitutes for chips and wraps.

Thank you for joining us - good to meet you!

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Nice to meet you Eric. I would say you have really grabbed the bull by the horns, so to speak. Thats a very impressive weight loss. Your blood sugar readings are better now with diet and exercise? If so then that is awesome!

·
Anti-Man Made Carbs!
1,891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the warm welcome guys! i really appreciate it.
ive been looking for an active MB with fellow diabetics to become a part of. i hope ive found it :)

As for me, its all still very new and getting used to everything.

when diagnosed on 1/26/10, as i mentioned, i weighed 268.
i said at the time that id like to get under 200 by the end of
the year. now im at 196 and i want to keep losing, but friends
and family have said that ive lost enough (due to me being 6"2')
but i just dont know, id like to get to 185.

i will be the first to admit that it has NOT been easy. i walk
at least 3 miles a day, but usually 5, depending on how bad the weather is.

i eat minimally, three times a day usually. if not for my meds
(i take Metformin 500mg twice a day) i wouldnt eat breakfast,
as ive never been a breakfast person. but because meds must
be taken with food, i have an egg beater for breakfast, or a
string cheese stick.

i hope to learn more about what good no/low carb foods
are out there for us.

Thanks for the long read,
Eric

·
Anti-Man Made Carbs!
1,891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Your blood sugar readings are better now with diet and exercise? If so then that is awesome!

Forgot to address this.....

My fasting BG when i was diagnosed was 266

my average overall reading as of today is 72.3

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Hello everyone, just wanted to introduce myself.

Name's Eric, im 39 and was diagnosed T2 a little more than three months ago.

since that time, ive adopted a strict diet and exercise program, and have been lucky enough to loose 72 pounds since diagnosis.
at diagnosis i was 268 (im 6'2").

ive become a carb hater and try to avoid them at all costs.
Welcome Eric! I was a little bit older than you when I was diagnosed. You have lost so much weight in a short amount of time, how did you do it? Come and visit often.

·
Banned
31 Posts
hai,,, make me your friend? and if any useful information do not forget to share .. : >

·
Anti-Man Made Carbs!
1,891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
How'd i do it?

Its not easy, its not easy, im not gonna lie.....

Exercise.....for me, that's walking, at least three miles a day, usually five.....everyday. No excuses, other than pouring, and I mean downpouring.

Eating.....keep it to a minimum. Learn what a portion really is. Read all labels. Cut out man made carbs by at least 95%, but aim for a higher percentage to be honest. NO snacking. Its just not needed.

For me personally, I know how I got to where i was size wise. Eating, and lots of it. I had no idea what a real portion was, and wow did i eat a lot of carbs in my day.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
There are people who find it easier to manage their blood sugars by eating several times a day - either many small meals, or three squares and a coupla small snacks. This is something each patient needs to determine for themselves, since no one method works for everybody.

But I'm so glad you mentioned man-made carbs! Processed foods are just the worst! It seems like High Fructose Corn Syrup is added to everything on the shelves! If not HFCS, then other corn products like corn syrup or corn starch or corn syrup solids. And all the other "ose" products like dextrose, maltose, etc.? They're all just different kinds of sugar, so nothing that we need to be eating. The more we can stay with basic foods, the easier it is to manage our levels . . . there's just too much chemical monkeying around being done at the factories and they still call it food, so if you can't pronounce it, be leery of eating it! ;)

·
Anti-Man Made Carbs!
1,891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
There are people who find it easier to manage their blood sugars by eating several times a day - either many small meals, or three squares and a coupla small snacks. This is something each patient needs to determine for themselves, since no one method works for everybody.

But I'm so glad you mentioned man-made carbs! Processed foods are just the worst! It seems like High Fructose Corn Syrup is added to everything on the shelves! If not HFCS, then other corn products like corn syrup or corn starch or corn syrup solids. And all the other "ose" products like dextrose, maltose, etc.? They're all just different kinds of sugar, so nothing that we need to be eating. The more we can stay with basic foods, the easier it is to manage our levels . . . there's just too much chemical monkeying around being done at the factories and they still call it food, so if you can't pronounce it, be leery of eating it! ;)
SO true about the HFCS and the like.

At this point, my diet is geared towards my weight loss, more than my BG numbers

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Well don't stop testing - those BG numbers can creep back up & bite hard. If you can maintain at this level of energy & resolve, that's a great thing. Losing the weight is a tremendous tool in managing the diabetes for the long term. And if the going gets tough down the road, then ease off, keep testing, but look for a balance. Give your body time to adjust to its new size and regimen. You're at a good age to get this squared away and be set for many years to come. Be as disciplined as this, if you must, but be conscious of the risks of burnout too.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Helllo and welcome!! WOW :D you have lost alot of weight in such a short time!

·
Anti-Man Made Carbs!
1,891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks to everyone for posting in the thread!

i have no intentions of stopping my BG testing. The weight loss thing is not easy, but today for the first time since my pre-teen years, i am no longer considered "overweight" according to the BMI index.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts