The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a prediabetic (diagnosed two weeks ago) and I'm drinking in all the info I can (as long as it's artificially sweetened without fillers, LOL). Glad to be here. The iPhone app is really sweet!

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Welcome Tiger....

How have your numbers been ?

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Based on your post on the "whats your fasting thread"

Tiger, the fasting of over 6.9 (124 mg/dl) is officially considered as a diagnosis of diabetes in many countries. Did you have other test like the HbA1C or OGTT ?

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wow, quick replies! :)

When I went for my physical my fasting test was 7.2, my doc then did the A1C and it came back as 6. On our lab's scale 7 is diabetic. I also had an EKG and my heart is fine. I went out right away and got a glucose monitor (the Contour USB because I'm a geek) and have been testing a lot to see how foods affect me.

·
Registered
556 Posts
my doc then did the A1C and it came back as 6. On our lab's scale 7 is diabetic.
Hi, tiger. I was also diagnosed as pre-diabetic, with an A1c of 6.0 I found out pretty quick that if I eat too many carbs, my bg shoots up just like a regular diabetic so I've come to the conclusion that pre-diabetes just means I have diabetes, only I found out about it earlier than those who are considered to be full-blown diabetics. I know I'll have to eat low carb the rest of my life.

Glad you decided to join us and welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Wow, quick replies! :)

When I went for my physical my fasting test was 7.2, my doc then did the A1C and it came back as 6. On our lab's scale 7 is diabetic. I also had an EKG and my heart is fine. I went out right away and got a glucose monitor (the Contour USB because I'm a geek) and have been testing a lot to see how foods affect me.
Good going on buying the meter and using it a lot. It helps

Yes a A1C of 6.0 - 6.4 is called pre diabetic. A 6.0 corresponds to an average BG level of 124 which means your BG would be swinging between 100 to 150 very easily.

You have a very good chance of turning things around. It has been stated again and again that pre-diabetes can be reversed. So you have an opportunity here. Make full use of it. Control the things the spike your BG (carbs) increase exercise and loose weight if you have too

Tony

Reactions: silvertiger

·
Registered
8,607 Posts
Sorry Tony,

But this is where I have to agree to differ with you.

Once your pancreas is screwed, I think it stays that way.

The name of the game for all of us - diabetic and "pre"-diabetic alike is control. Those like @silvertiger just have a bit of an advantage in that they can afford to take a few more liberties with their diet than you and I can.

But if they relax, (because they have "reversed" their condition), just give them a few months and they will return to the forum as full members.

I wish to be wrong, but I'm pretty certain that I'm not :(:(

John

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sorry Tony,

But if they relax, (because they have "reversed" their condition), just give them a few months and they will return to the forum as full members.

John
I'm all too aware that this isn't a temporary thing. My blood sugar was slowly going down over the last two weeks (since diagnosis) and then two days ago a friend made bread and I overdosed (partially to see the effect on my readings, sure, that's my story and I'm sticking to it), and my fasting reading is still higher than it was before that day. Maybe unrelated, but it shows that even one meal "off plan" has repercussions that last for days.

·
Registered
8,607 Posts
I'm all too aware that this isn't a temporary thing. My blood sugar was slowly going down over the last two weeks (since diagnosis) and then two days ago a friend made bread and I overdosed (partially to see the effect on my readings, sure, that's my story and I'm sticking to it), and my fasting reading is still higher than it was before that day. Maybe unrelated, but it shows that even one meal "off plan" has repercussions that last for days.
Right on! - You put your finger smack on it!

During your first few months, you will go through a ton of test strips doing experiments like that. Some will give you a pleasant surprise, some will just plain shock you.

After a while you will get to know what you can get away with, and what you will have to pay for;). Things to watch for are those foods with the hidden sugars, pretending to be "flavour enhancers" , "flour conditioners" - the list of alias goes on and on! My rule of thumb? If it contains strange chemicals - don't eat it but having said that, we are all different, you might get away with eating things that I dare not touch (and vice versa :))

After a while, you can lose some of the paranoia, however, relax totally? Not a chance (at least not in my opinion) :D

John

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
After a while you will get to know what you can get away with, and what you will have to pay for;). Things to watch for are those foods with the hidden sugars, pretending to be "flavour enhancers" , "flour conditioners" - the list of alias goes on and on! My rule of thumb? If it contains strange chemicals - don't eat it but having said that, we are all different, you might get away with eating things that I dare not touch (and vice versa :))

After a while, you can lose some of the paranoia, however, relax totally? Not a chance (at least not in my opinion) :D

John
I totally agree! We had been moving away from "processed foods" anyway, and I've even purchased a wheat mill so we can use fresh whole wheat flour, which (after testing) seems to not raise my BG overly much. For now. Thank goodness!

·
Registered
8,607 Posts
I totally agree! We had been moving away from "processed foods" anyway, and I've even purchased a wheat mill so we can use fresh whole wheat flour, which (after testing) seems to not raise my BG overly much. For now. Thank goodness!
Just a quick detail.

In the end all carbohydrates will impact your blood sugar. Some just act more quickly than others. Wheat flour is a slow one - try testing after about 3 hours.

(I hope it doesn't fall into the shock category! :))

John

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Just a quick detail.

In the end all carbohydrates will impact your blood sugar. Some just act more quickly than others. Wheat flour is a slow one - try testing after about 3 hours.

(I hope it doesn't fall into the shock category! :))

John
Over the past two weeks I've been shocked so much I think my hair is standing on end permanently! :)

Thanks for the tip. I knew about pasta taking longer, and I just found out that some foods might start raising BG as little as 15 minutes after eating! Lots of testing and note taking going on for me right now.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
John.in.France said:
Sorry Tony,

But this is where I have to agree to differ with you.

Once your pancreas is screwed, I think it stays that way.

The name of the game for all of us - diabetic and "pre"-diabetic alike is control. Those like @silvertiger just have a bit of an advantage in that they can afford to take a few more liberties with their diet than you and I can.

John
John, You are more experienced so I'll accept your opinion to be more valid than mine on this topic. :)

I think pre-diabetics are best off considering themselves diabetic in terms of lifestyle choices (diet and exercise wise). That ways they can keep themselves healthy and prolong (or even avoid) the onset of full blown DM

·
Registered
8,607 Posts
John, You are more experienced so I'll accept your opinion to be more valid than mine on this topic. :)

I think pre-diabetics are best off considering themselves diabetic in terms of lifestyle choices (diet and exercise wise). That ways they can keep themselves healthy and prolong (or even avoid) the onset of full blown DM
Yep Tony,

Diabetes has currently no cure. I think that those web sites that use the word "cure" or "reverse" are doing diabetics a real dis-service in giving them the idea that they can relax their vigilance.

All we can do is control our blood sugars - and you are doing very well on that front yourself - Your weight loss is excellent and that HbA1c score marvellous.

I agree with you on the second point - there's no such thing as a pre-diabetic - only people whose insulin response is somewhat less damaged than others. Their best option is to consider themselves as diabetic and manage their diet and life style to avoid the symptoms of the nastier diabetic complications.

John

1 - 16 of 16 Posts