The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive heard humalog and relion are the same, but I have also heard that switching insulins is a big deal and to consult a doctor first. I'm in between docs at the time and want to switch ASAP if they are the same type of insulin. Anyone here have any suggestions or relations to this issue?

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Ive heard humalog and relion are the same, but I have also heard that switching insulins is a big deal and to consult a doctor first. I'm in between docs at the time and want to switch ASAP if they are the same type of insulin. Anyone here have any suggestions or relations to this issue?
Humalog and relion are NOT the same. Humalog is quick acting insulin and relion is a "brand name". ReliOn | Diabetes Products

Relion is the name brand of insulin sold by Wal-Mart as the link above explains. Humalog requires a prescription in the United States and I believe the Relion brand can be purchased at Wal-Mart w/o a prescription (although I'm not sure about that).

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
So does relion have a quick acting insulin?
No, not according to the information on the link I provided. If you wanted to know for sure, just call your local Wal-Mart store and ask for the pharmacist.

The three Relion insulins presented on the link are older insulins and their 'duration of action' (meaning how long they last in your body) is much greater than today's rapid acting insulins like Humalog, Novolog, and Apidra.

I'm not saying the older insulins are bad. I haven't used them for a long time. If you want to use them, it would probably be best if you ask a health care professional.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts