The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a 3 month follow up with my endocronologist and we discussed options for me being able to take in more carbs, which will benefit my exercise regimen.

At times I feel pretty flat when running, but not always. I ran 11 miles two weeks ago, and had a ton of energy. But there are times I feel very weak on runs that are only a few miles in length.

We discused pills, but I always have reactions to them and have been in amazing control with diet and exercise, so taking a pill with side effects will make my control more difficult.

He prescribed me the humalog kwikpen, and told me to take no more than 2 units before a carb laden meal. I told him I would feel more comfortable just starting with 1. I have yet to take it, as my control has improved over the past two weeks, and this week I am averaging in the 80's. Keep in mind that I eat very little fast acting carbs. I mostly eat meat, cheese, salad, veggies. I do occasionally eat a sugar free cookie, which is a fast acting carb adder.

Anyway, I was curious what kind of doses people are taking based on carb intake. I know that weight and other factors make everyone different, but still wondered how much effect 1-2 units will have.

I honestly have been to nervous to try yet, but I will on a day where I am off from work and have my wife around, along with some glucose.

I simply want to add back about 15-20 carbs to my meals if possible, at least during days I am working out and going on runs.

My BG had risen a little for 8 days earlier this month, while I was sick with a virus, 98-115 range, but I still managed a 5.2 A1C. Sometimes it seems I can just eat a normal meal, but one mistake and a spike will remind me I am type II.

I should also add that a peptide test was run last fall, to confirm my type and I was told that my insulin output was a little low. My thinking was that a little fast acting insulin for mealtime only would aid in my body's ability to deal with a little added carbs. I will not start going nuts though. This is only to add a little bit back to my diet and aid in my workout routine.

Over the last week though, I have been in such amazing control, I haven't given any thought to trying sincemy visit on Wednesday. Today I ate more than usual over a shorter period of time and had one brief high of 99, but averaged around 89 with a low of 71.

This will give that false sense of being normal. I should be happy though, since it is a result of excellent control. My doctor told me that I am the first paient with a 5.2 A1C he has ever prescribed insulin, but he did it because I am a distance runner, adding that if I hypo one time he will pull the insulin.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I should add that during my 11 mile run, my wife dropped off a small sugar cookie with frosting along with some water, sice I was starting to go a bit flat at the 8 mile point. That picked me up nd my after run BG was 99.

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Hi Warren. Your control is very, very good. I hope it stays that way for a very long time. I can understand your hesitating to use insulin. I suggest that you start the insulin on a day that you do not exercise or drive your car so you can see how it is going to affect your blood sugar. One unit before a meal with increased carbs is a good idea. Experimenting and keeping records is also a good idea. My whole 64 years of diabetes has been an experiment with frequent adjustments.

Richard

1 - 3 of 3 Posts