The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

For the last few days I've been feeling really hungry especially about 3 hours after breakfast. By that time (11 AM) my BG does not normally drop into the 90s. I don't like to have my lunch before I hit the 90s but the hunger takes over me.

I have my breakfast around 8 AM just before leaving for office. Which is usually an egg with some peanut butter and 10 almonds

After lunch I am normal for the remaining 7-8 hours untill my dinner. I want my meals to be atleast 5-6 hours apart. For this I need to push my lunch by about 2 hours but I am not able to do it.

I think I've gotta increase my breakfast quantity. Will try this from tomorrow.

Do you guys also face such issues ?

·
Diabetic
2,680 Posts
I agree. You need to have two eggs for BF to get over those pangs.
In between I drink a cup (or 2) of green tea with stevia. This helps in getting through to lunch time (1.30-2.00 pm).
I don't understand the bit about counting the almonds. I eat all kinds of nuts (almonds, walnuts, peanuts, cashew, pista) in whatever quantity I need, whenever I'm hungry & it's not meal time yet, or to munch with a drink.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Personally, I am always ready for lunch at 11 AM, regardless of what or when I ate breakfast. It might just be my natural rhythms.

Reactions: MCS

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
I get up at 5 AM ... so I eat my lunch at 9 am! And supper at 4:30 pm or so. Hey, it works for me!

My physiologic low time (ie discounting insulin and meds), is about 11 am, so eating before that helps. I can use less insulin when I eat that early, too.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Hunger at 11 am may mean your breakfast is not large enough or enough fat or it could be that you are getting liver dumps caused by stress hormones and your body is forced to produce more insulin. Usually the more insulin the more hunger I have. Eventually staying on a low carb diet should help deal with these hunger pangs.

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
Each of us is different, but if I ate what you said, I'd be hungry in 3 hours, too. It's not enough food and especially not enough fat. One egg? My stomach would be downright angry if I attempted to start my day with one egg!

After breakfast, I'm not hungry for 6 - 8 hours, sometimes longer. Try something like this:

- THREE eggs over easy fried in coconut oil (or butter if not available)
- Coffee or espresso with 1/8 cup heavy cream and 1 tbsp coconut oil (steamed together so it's not gross)
- 1 cubic inch high fat cheese like Laughing Cow, Havarti, etc.
- 8 - 10 kalamata olives
- 1/4 cup strained Greek yogurt mixed with 1 tbsp spreadable heavy cream sweetened with stevia and sprinkled with pomegranate seeds if available.

I've always believed that breakfast is "the most important meal of the day". It's even more true now that I'm diabetic. It's really the only "mandatory" meal in my day. Lunch is optional, sometimes I just skip it.

I just finished that breakfast an hour ago and I feel GREAT!

Hi Guys,

For the last few days I've been feeling really hungry especially about 3 hours after breakfast. By that time (11 AM) my BG does not normally drop into the 90s. I don't like to have my lunch before I hit the 90s but the hunger takes over me.

I have my breakfast around 8 AM just before leaving for office. Which is usually an egg with some peanut butter and 10 almonds

After lunch I am normal for the remaining 7-8 hours untill my dinner. I want my meals to be atleast 5-6 hours apart. For this I need to push my lunch by about 2 hours but I am not able to do it.

I think I've gotta increase my breakfast quantity. Will try this from tomorrow.

Do you guys also face such issues ?

Reactions: Patdart and foxl

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks you guys. These are all great answers and really helpful.

I bought coconut oil today. Wilk have 2 seperate egg omlettes tomorrow. I'll make them with some cheese in coconut oil. I dont like tea or coffee so i'll skip that. Maybe a small sausage, some yoghurt and my almonds. Hope I dont overdo the protein. Lets see how tomm goes

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
Note that regular yogurt is very high carb and probably not a good idea for breakfast. If you can find it, look for "strained greek yogurt". It needs to be "strained", Greek and full fat. There are other things called "Greek yogurt" but they're just as bad as the mainstream high-carb brands.

The only one I know of is Fage (Faa-yeh) brand. In San Diego, I have ONLY found the full-fat version in one store: Sprouts. All other stores only carry the 2% and 0% versions. Bad idea.

The sugar in yogurt is lactose and it's a bad one. It seems like it has more of a "punch" with diabetics gram for gram than other sugars. It's a good idea to stay away from it as much as possible.

Thanks you guys. These are all great answers and really helpful.

I bought coconut oil today. Wilk have 2 seperate egg omlettes tomorrow. I'll make them with some cheese in coconut oil. I dont like tea or coffee so i'll skip that. Maybe a small sausage, some yoghurt and my almonds. Hope I dont overdo the protein. Lets see how tomm goes

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I use to do Greek yogurt in the morning but found it spiked me way too much. I can only do a few ounces at a time. I can eat it other times of the day, though. I find leftovers from dinner or stir fry veggies work pretty good for breakfast.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I dont think we can get Greek Yoghurt here. Can someone get me the nutrition data from the label ? I'll try to find something similar here in India....

Thanks for your answers though.

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
Fage "Total" Greek yogurt is as follows:

Serving size: 1 cup (I eat only about 1/4 to 1/3 cup at a time)

Total fat: 11g
Total carbs: 9g
Protein: 20g

So, the amount I eat at breakfast is between 2 and 3 grams of carbs. I'm more concerned about balancing all that protein than I am about the carbs. That's why I mix my 2 or 3 tbsp of Greek yogurt with a good tbsp of heavy cream.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
smorgan said:
Fage "Total" Greek yogurt is as follows:

Serving size: 1 cup (I eat only about 1/4 to 1/3 cup at a time)

Total fat: 11g
Total carbs: 9g
Protein: 20g

So, the amount I eat at breakfast is between 2 and 3 grams of carbs. I'm more concerned about balancing all that protein than I am about the carbs. That's why I mix my 2 or 3 tbsp of Greek yogurt with a good tbsp of heavy cream.
Thanks Salim. Do you know the size of the "serving size" in grams.

Thanks

Tony

·
Registered
58 Posts
Sounds like you may need a in-between snack of something..

my schedule 7am breakfast 10 am snack
12:30 lunch 3pm snack 7pm dinner 10 pm snack

My snacks normally are
Fresh Fruit slices, natural nuts, yogurt,celery w/PB.

·
Diabetic
2,680 Posts
I dont think we can get Greek Yoghurt here. Can someone get me the nutrition data from the label ? I'll try to find something similar here in India....

Thanks for your answers though.

Danone has launched a variety of yoghurt in India recently & if you search the good malls, you'll be able to find the low carb ones. "Greek" yoghurt, i'm not sure about.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts