The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My husband was Dx Type 2 about 4 weeks ago. It started out thirsting to death then restroom 2 an hour then shortly after very blurry vision. Now my husband hasn't been to any Dr since 1995. When he went to the Dr 4 weeks ago his fasting number was 300 his A1C 12.6. The Dr said his BS average for the last 90 days was over 300. He was put on metformin 500 once a day come back in 2 weeks. We couldn't really get his sugar to drop much and his AM reading was always really high ( which is when I read it was the liver dumping). Dr changed his meds and his sugar is now down in the normal range. I have done a lot of reading and a lot of shopping for all the low carb ing. which I had none of. He seems to be very tired a lot and tonight his leg and foot fell asleep with no reason and his feet are really cold. Also he had protein 30 in his urine is this bad? I have been reading a lot on this forum but just learned how to post :(

Sent from my iPad using Diabetes

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Nobody's happier than me that you figured out the posting thing, Donella! ;) Glad to have you with us . . . welcome aboard.

Did the doc take him off metformin or just add other meds to it? There's no earthly reason his metformin couldn't have been raised - 500mg per day is next to nothing. The maximum dosage for it is 2550mg per day, and that would be preferable to using drugs that could damage his pancreas. What ARE the new drugs the doctor started?

Starting low-carbing often brings a few days/weeks of feeling crummy - sometimes it's even referred to as "Atkins" flu, after the low-carb diet of the same name. And since he's spilling protein, he should back off eating so much of it. Don't add back carbs, but add plenty of fats to his meals so he gets enough calories to provide energy & keep his blood sugar low. This is done by normal usage of real fats like butter, cream, sour cream, full fat yogurts & full fat mayonnaise. Cooking with coconut oil is good too. I don't know the percentages right off the top of my head, but others here on the boards can jump in & tell you the ratios to follow for fats/protein/carbs. Also be sure what few carbs he DOES eat are coming from good high-fiber vegetables to keep his digestive tract moving along smoothly.

·
Diabetic
2,680 Posts
Welcome to the forum Donella,

It seems that you have already taken the first steps towards controlling your husband's BG. As you keep reading more and more, you will learn new stuff everyday that will help you in achieving this goal easily. We've had innumerable cases of A1c rapidly falling within near normal range in 2-3 months. As Shanny has pointed out, when BGs start getting into the normal range, the body resists the change as it is accustomed to higher levels of glucose. But this is expected to happen for a couple of weeks, so keep at it, and things will improve.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the quick reply. The Dr put him on Glyburide-Metformin 500 twice a day on the 13th of this month. I had thought they would of just raised his metformin from all that I have read but he didn't. This new pill does cause him some stomach upset. I just looked at his record of test his number is 153 fasting this morning but it's 105 before bed last night. it is really bouncing between 100 -150 lately. Are you telling me that if he eats a lot of protein it will increase his spillage :( He is a country boy who likes his red meat, taters, and beans. I have taken so much away from him I am worried if I push to hard he will rebel like a teenager.

·
WHAT, I got D
3,849 Posts
He has a tough row to hoe. My suggestion and what I had to do was to have a carb party, throw them all away for now, breads, rice, potatoes, beans, etc. Feed him meat and veggies till he is bursting at the seams, then let him eat more if he wants. Chicken wings, eggs, cheese, veggies, etc. It was much easier for me to do this than to try and count carbs. Also there is volumes of low carb desserts on this forum, cookies, cakes, etc. Fill him up, keep him full for now, he will figure things out and feel much when he does.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Shanny we really wanted him to stay on the metformin and I hope if we can get his numbers down we can go back to metformin. We live in a small town and he is seeing an internal medicine dr do you think he needs an endo dr? Hubby is pretty (ok a lot ) anti medicine I don't want them to add more meds to him just give him the safest that will work.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Shanny we really wanted him to stay on the metformin and I hope if we can get his numbers down we can go back to metformin. We live in a small town and he is seeing an internal medicine dr do you think he needs an endo dr? Hubby is pretty (ok a lot ) anti medicine I don't want them to add more meds to him just give him the safest that will work.

Just tell the doc what you've told us - you don't want to turn him away from managing his diabetes, and since he was doing well on the metformin, he'd like to ditch the glyburide as soon as possible to save his already overworked beta cells.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Donella, Welcome to the forum. Your husband is very lucky to have you by his side.

I was diagnosed about 4 months back with the same A1C as your husband. My doctor said the same things to me. He first put me on metformin 500 twice a day and within 2 days (after seeing my results) changed my meds. I was put on Amaryl (also a sulfonylurea) once a day and vildagliptin and metformin (500mg) twice a day.

On this medication I got fasting under 100 in about 2 weeks but never felt good. I felt tired and had headaches every morning.

I slowly went low carb and started exercising (an hour a day). Under the doctor's supervision I dropped the Amaryl in 15 days and vildagliptin in 2 months and am now on metformin only.

What has worked for my blood sugars is
1. Low Carb diet
2. Exercise
3. The meds

I think you need to visit an endo for sure.

Exercise works for sure. Is your hubby able to spend time for some exercise ?

Tell me more about the protein issue. What is the number 30 you mentioned ? - I had the same issue when diagnosed. Tell me the units and the parameter measured ? Protein leakage is often a result of high BGs and should go away when sugars stabilize at normal levels

·
Registered
556 Posts
his leg and foot fell asleep with no reason
A bg of 140 and above is said to be the danger point when it comes to diabetic complications, but I find I have to keep my bg below 120 or I get tingling/falling asleep in my lower legs and feet.

He is a country boy who likes his red meat, taters, and beans. I have taken so much away from him I am worried if I push to hard he will rebel like a teenager.
I didn't think I would be able to keep my husband on low carb either, because he has always been a meat and potatoes man, but I serve him faux mashed potatoes and gravy and several other of the recipes from the recipe section in this forum and he is so pleased with his bg numbers that he is fine with it. There are good substitutes for most high-carb foods we use to eat.

I want to welcome you to the forum. If you haven't had a chance to do any reading at Blood Sugar 101 I highly recommend it.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
My husband was Dx Type 2 about 4 weeks ago. It started out thirsting to death then restroom 2 an hour then shortly after very blurry vision. Now my husband hasn't been to any Dr since 1995. When he went to the Dr 4 weeks ago his fasting number was 300 his A1C 12.6. The Dr said his BS average for the last 90 days was over 300. He was put on metformin 500 once a day come back in 2 weeks. We couldn't really get his sugar to drop much and his AM reading was always really high ( which is when I read it was the liver dumping). Dr changed his meds and his sugar is now down in the normal range. I have done a lot of reading and a lot of shopping for all the low carb ing. which I had none of. He seems to be very tired a lot and tonight his leg and foot fell asleep with no reason and his feet are really cold. Also he had protein 30 in his urine is this bad? I have been reading a lot on this forum but just learned how to post :(

Donella, Research and experiences of people indicate that lot of these complications can be reversed with tight near normal control. So get onto getting his sugars down !

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hey Tony thanks for the advise:) I am not sure about the protein I asked the dr if there could be kidney damage since we have no idea how long he has had D. When I asked the question that is when the Dr decided to look at hubby's chart from blood work for the first time and said " oh he does have protein in the urine it's a little high it's 30". I then asked what was normal he said zero so I requested the 24 hour urine test and hubby did that this past Monday so now we wait. I did nothing slow about cutting out is carbs lol I cleaned out the pantry and spent $1000 in 3 days back and forth at the grocery store and online at netrition and iherb. He has not done much in the way of exercise though we did buy an exercise bike but he is so busy with work then so tired when he comes in but I am working on that now:)

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Going for a 3-4 mile daily walk would be something that you could do together, it's a lot less scary and less dangerous than embarking on a fitness programme before those numbers have stabilised. Just a thought? :)

Reactions: MCS

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hey Spunky I have seen the faux mashed potatoes but have not tried em I am a little nervous lol. As for his high reading we r still trying to get a hold on ALL his readings just don't know what it is that keeps it a little too high. The dr wrote his prescription for the Glyburide- Metformin 500mg for 2 tablets 2 times a day but told him to try 1 tablet 2 times a day to see how it works and if he needs to increase to 2 tabs 2 times a day he can. Well he is still doing 1 tab 2 times and his BS dropped as low as 96 on 2 occasions and was below 120 for 2 days now he is back in the 150's. His dinner last night was grilled salmon with the garlic chz bisq using carbquik and a salad.

·
WHAT, I got D
3,849 Posts
Its going to take a little while for his BG level to drop and become stable. Once your body gets use to high levels it trys to maintain them for a while. The previous high levels also cause inflammation which can raise your BG level as well. Go slow and be patient, things will settle down.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts